Reading IAT2s

jchristena

Established Member
Couple questions about reading IAT2s.

So, I worked with Van(who even answers emails on the weekend BTW) to get my temps down. He sent me the C&R dual fan HE and a 170 tstat. Without doing the research that I should have, I ordered the Aeroforce Interceptor to read the IAT2s. Now, I read that Ford removed that from the Datastream on 2011+ and there is no PID for it. That being said, I get readings from my gauge on Platform 4->IAT2. The temp range it's showing is a little higher than I would expect, but within the realm of possibility. Now, if IAT2 data is unavailable, any idea what in the hell the gauge is displaying data for?

This morning, I datalogged the car on the way to work using Livelink as Van explained it can read PIDs and DMRs. I had the software validate all the PIDS as well. The IAT2 data shows exactly what the Aeroforce showed...started around 100 and ended up around 130 in light traffic w/ the A/C on. ~82 degrees and 80% humidity. I should offer that Ford had the car for ~2 months, replaced the PCM and updated the software with several test fixes.

Second question is, for those of you that do read IAT2s and live in hot ass parts of the country, what kind of numbers do you get when its mild or hot as hell outside? From everything I've seen, when its 108 on my drive home, the gauge reads 145ish. But again, no idea WTH that's actually displaying numbers for.

fullboogie

Established Member
Can't answer your first question. But as far as IAT2's in the heat, I live in Houston and they regularly reach high 120's cruising and mid-130's+ in traffic. Van's H/E is great, but there's only so much that thing can do before heat soak sets in. Next step is a larger capacity pump, like the Meziere.

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
Now, if IAT2 data is unavailable, any idea what in the hell the gauge is displaying data for?

Second question is, for those of you that do read IAT2s and live in hot ass parts of the country, what kind of numbers do you get when its mild or hot as hell outside? From everything I've seen, when its 108 on my drive home, the gauge reads 145ish. But again, no idea WTH that's actually displaying numbers for.

From thier manual: Once in Scan mode, if an unsupported one is chosen, typically the gauge will display a black screen or show the unchanging value of the previous parameter selected.
Does that make sense?

My local temps: At 101*-105* I have seen a highest reading of 130* in stop and go traffic. While moving in traffic I get 120s. Pretty much the same as Fullboogie.

Steve

SuperFly03

Established Member
I just started logging mine this weekend. After a few drives and data exports I'll let you know what I get.

fullboogie

Established Member
Yep - the radiator fan is drawing air through the A/C condenser, which is very hot.

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
I love MI. Although we had a hot streak recently. When it is around 75-85ish outside my IAT2's are around 85-110 while cruising. Only time it will get over 130 is if I am at a light for around a minute.

Have you removed your weather stripping under the hood?

-there was a thread with some datalogging that proved around 10 degrees less IAT2's when you remove the weather stripping on the hood which seals the hood and windshield cowl.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
What was the down side of removing the stripping, did it create a pressure change under the hood? I'm curious why it's there if there would be no down side to removing it.

SuperFly03

Established Member
Couple questions about reading IAT2s.

So, I worked with Van(who even answers emails on the weekend BTW) to get my temps down. He sent me the C&R dual fan HE and a 170 tstat. Without doing the research that I should have, I ordered the Aeroforce Interceptor to read the IAT2s. Now, I read that Ford removed that from the Datastream on 2011+ and there is no PID for it. That being said, I get readings from my gauge on Platform 4->IAT2. The temp range it's showing is a little higher than I would expect, but within the realm of possibility. Now, if IAT2 data is unavailable, any idea what in the hell the gauge is displaying data for?

This morning, I datalogged the car on the way to work using Livelink as Van explained it can read PIDs and DMRs. I had the software validate all the PIDS as well. The IAT2 data shows exactly what the Aeroforce showed...started around 100 and ended up around 130 in light traffic w/ the A/C on. ~82 degrees and 80% humidity. I should offer that Ford had the car for ~2 months, replaced the PCM and updated the software with several test fixes.

As promised: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6irzhof2dlxtvlm/fdrkqMFY8H

Should be public. I created a graph of a time lapse of my drive to work this morning. Shows ambient and relevant temperatures.

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
^^^ That was my thread. I got beat up until I made videos and posted them!

It was a good thread. I removed mine immediately.

MY car never see's any rain so its all good... that would be the only downside is that rain can enter under the hood there and stream down the firewall.

My tuner actually recommmneded I do it as well and I was like, "One step ahead of ya there boss!"

fullboogie

Established Member
You know, I' don't understand the concern over water getting into the engine compartment. That piece of weatherstrip is several inches under the rear edge of the hood. You'd have to be in a monsoon before rain could have a chance of getting in there.

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
You know, I' don't understand the concern over water getting into the engine compartment. That piece of weatherstrip is several inches under the rear edge of the hood. You'd have to be in a monsoon before rain could have a chance of getting in there.

Very true....

But that is the only con I could come up with.

Users who are viewing this thread