Read my spark plugs (pics)

M4_ELITE

Established Member
These plugs have about 10k miles on them. Greyish deposits on it, detonation??

Untitled-1copy2222434_zpsc98c8959.jpg

Untitled-1copy2222_zps9f755d99.jpg

Untitled-1copy_zpsd75cbde9.jpg

(flash was on for this pic)

SuperSport01

Established Member
I hate to read plugs from pictures, but yes the silver speckles are melted aluminum from the tops of your pistons. Do you have a head cooling mod, if not, you need it. You may need to go have the car retuned as well.

M4_ELITE

Established Member
No head cooling mod. I had a shop replace the plugs after I blew one out in Jan 2010, I think they put in Motorcraft sp471. AFR last dyno run was around 11.8 if I remember correctly.

Also I haven't heard any loud knocking & car hasn't overheated ever. But the car did have a check engine light come on in mid 2011. p0171 or p0174 code came up and I cleaned the MAF sensor initially... Then replaced sensor and found & fixed the vacuum leak (melted hoses by supercharger + firewall).

So I guess my question is will I be looking at a rebuild soon? Will the engine last w/ light detonation? Thank you.

M4_ELITE

Established Member
Went to my mechanic today and had him look at the plugs, change the oil and fuel filter... The plugs were a little peppery and the fuel filter wasn't completely clogged but he couldn't blow through it... So he attributes the plugs to a bad tank of gas/dirty fuel filter. Car feels great w/ new fuel filter and spark plugs!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread