Re-wiring radiator fan

03punisher

SENDING STEEL DOWN RANGE
Established Member
i want to rewire my radiator fan to turn on as soon as the ignition is on. Is this a bad idea? I want to keep the engine as cool as possible. Thks

MVD

Established Member
It's not a bad idea it just doesn't make sense. Just put in a cooler thermostat (160, 170) and have your fan programmed to turn on accordingly.

Even if you have the fan running full time the engine will still heat up.....it will just take a bit longer.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
MVD said:
It's not a bad idea it just doesn't make sense. Just put in a cooler thermostat (160, 170) and have your fan programmed to turn on accordingly.

Even if you have the fan running full time the engine will still heat up.....it will just take a bit longer.

+1, there is no reason to have it turn on that early. It will benefit nothing. Get a cooler T-stat and just have the fans come on earlier, once the car is running at operating temps.

-Jeff

BO TY KLR

Established Member
You could also put the fan on a toggle switch and run it anytime you want, as long as ignition is on. I run switches for I/C pump and the fan for cooling down between runs.

03punisher

SENDING STEEL DOWN RANGE
Established Member
Thks for your help so far guys, I installed a 160 stat, do i have to reprogram my tune, for the 160? Can I do the on/off fan through my XCAL 2 or does the tuner have to do it?

Brandon03SVT

Established Member
Remember, you dont wanna go too cold, there is a such thing. Tales of sludged oil, worn bearings, and noises keep my stock stat in, and me happy.
As far as DIY on the fan setting, I dunno. I know on predator if you have a custom burned tune, you cant even read it.

Mook03TRMN8R

Established Member
apparently the guy I bought the car from wired a toggle to be able to turn the fan on at any time....i found it today when my car overheated because the fan wouldnt come on..... the toggle switch seems to have burnt out, all the plugs on the back are black.... and my fan does not come on at all now. I want to get rid of this set up.....and advice on how to do so? the toggle wiring is melted and black....no idea how this happened. Also, is there a fan fuse? I dont see one in the manual....

1slow2v

Established Member
the is one in the bjb it a mega fuse cant remember # or size of the top of my head..
i would get a test light and check every fuse on the car since you had melted wiring, no telling how previous owner had it wired other than wrong.. and the reason that the switch melted and failed was he was using it to carry a load.. only use a toggle switch to control the signal side of a relay..

Users who are viewing this thread