re-tune?

R15393

Established Member
First off sorry if I'm in wrong section.
Wondering if I need to re-tune my 04 cobra? I switched out s/c pulley in 2012 with a maf and KB bap. I had it tuned the same week. Since then my stock fuel pumps failed in 2013. I replaced those with another set of used stock pumps (from another member on here). All was good until now (a year later). Its doing the same thing where it spudders and dies out. I can't hear pumps running when I cycle the ignition. Luckily after sitting there a bit while continuously cycling the ignition it fires but up and runs fine. Until it does it again..... If i put the focus pumps in can I do away with bap? And will I need to re-tune the car? I really have very limited knowledge of tuning/monitoring the a/f ratios. Im not looking to add anymore upgrades to this car only get it running. Is there any reason for me to blame the bap on these pump failures? Thanks for any help.

511rwhp
517tq
Stage IV Steg w/ 2.76 pulley

01yellercobra

Established Member
I would go with GT pumps over the Focus pumps. The GT pumps got me to 600 with the stock FPDM and a wire upgrade. I'm running a centri though. I think the PD blowers are a little harder on the fuel system. I went from twin Cobra pumps to the GT pumps and didn't tune for them.

R15393

Established Member
If I'm assuming correctly, Id have to purchase a different hat or modify mine(not confident of my skills) plus upgrade the wiring to the pumps. I was thinking focus, only so all I had to do it change connector ends and hopefully ditch the bap. I see the gt pumps are cheaper but over all will cost me more money. I also don't know what's killing the pumps.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You can use the stock hat. You'll need to use the hoses that come with the pumps because the outlet is 5/16's and the hat is 3/8's. As for the plugs I took mine apart and slipped the spade connectors onto the pumps. The only wire upgrade I did was the one everyone does. Which is a good idea anyway. That wire upgrade dropped my duty cycle around 10%.

Users who are viewing this thread