RE: Spark plug Blew out

36FORD Mike

Established Member
Last week I sent in a post about the plug blowing out.

Just wanted to update as to what Ford is offering me

It's an '02 with 30K, went out of warranty in August 2005. Ford initialy quoted a little over $4,000 to replace the head. They then called back and said $3,200 because I work at an Auto Parts Store and we have an account with them.
I told them no and that I was going to go the Time-cert route. The same day they called back and said because I had purchased 2 vehicles at this dealership they would see if Ford would help out. They also wanted the service records. I do all my own work and just kept a ledger with dates and service performed, no receipts.
Yesterday they called and said they would repair it for $1,400 and perform service that was needed... change the brake fluid, do a tranny service and they also said the window wash fluid was low I'm serious they said that. They also said they would give me a 6year 100,000 mile warranty which really means it will be extended until August 2008. I told them this was better, but $1400 is a lot of money for something that I feel is not my fault.
Well they called this morning and said $900 was their final offer.
I think I'll take it.

If you think this problem is unique to Lightnings or even 5.4's go here http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_spark.html

Last edited:

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
I'd seriously want to know why one day the job is $4,000 and a couple days later it's only $900. My guess is it's one of 2 things. The $900 repair is not the same job as the $4000 repair. OR, they are selling you an extended warranty and the insurance company is picking up the tab.

Last edited:

36FORD Mike

Established Member
The price is parts and labor.... They told me "Ford's after warranty assistance program" was going to help. I don't know if an insurance company is paying. I don't know who's it would be if they are... mine will not.
I don't want to screw any thing up until I get my truck back.. When I do I'll scan the paper work and post it.

Also the link in my post won't work just do a Google on "Ford 5.4 blown spark plug".

Boost01

Established Member
i had my plug blow out last month and the thieves at ford quoted me 3800 originally for a new head then they came down to 2800 but i went with the timecert for 700. that would be really great if you could get the head and i still got screwed for the timecert.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
That's all fine, but what about the other head? You'll have one good head and still have one defective head...

junioRace

Established Member
Is your truck stock, Mike??

I Googled just like you said and found some amazing reads there about the blown plugs. One link had dozens and dozens and dozens of Ford owners with blown plugs.

Since I have a Premium Care Warranty on my truck, I think I'm gonna talk to a local Ford dealer and see if they install the plugs on my truck, what type of warranty they have on their service. If it blows a plug...say... after 1500 miles, can they still claim that it wasn't tight??

I think I know where this is gonna lead though.......
mad0235.gif

36FORD Mike

Established Member
SWTHOMAS... you bet it's only for the one head. I tried to get two but they said NO WAY. They said the extended warranty will cover the other head out to August 2008. Best I could do..... probably could pay for the other head and labor, gaskets etc myself but no budget for this.

The drive train is stock..... Ford rep came to the dealer and looked it over pretty good. No chip or pulleys

nastynivek

Nov. 10, 1775
Established Member
Not trying to sound, stupid...but, if a shop or stealership charges $700 for putting a "timecert", (sounds kinda weird, LOL), in a head...is that for one sparkplug hole or all four sparkplug holes on that particular head?

Don't flame me for my silly question. I've had too much beer...

36FORD Mike

Established Member
nastynivek.... I thought about this My local shop SUPIORIOR AUTOMOTIVE wanted $250 for one hole plus I would have to pay to tow it there......
The shops that charge $700 I would hope that's for all 8. Could be wrong

nastynivek

Nov. 10, 1775
Established Member
Damn. $250 per hole. LOL. I hope they at least give ya a reach-around.:lol:

Why the hell is it called a "timecert"? Timecert just sounds silly to me.

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member
nastynivek said:
Damn. $250 per hole. LOL. I hope they at least give ya a reach-around.:lol:

Why the hell is it called a "timecert"? Timecert just sounds silly to me.

250 per hole isnt that bad of a price, i would imagine, with the labor involved.
It is called Time Sert actually, and that is because that is the name of the company
http://www.timesert.com/

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
36FORD Mike said:
Last week I sent in a post about the plug blowing out.

If you think this problem is unique to Lightnings or even 5.4's go here http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_spark.htm

We don't! :)

I don't think there's a veteran poster here who thinks the plug spitting problem Ford has is limited to Lightnings. All the newbs who have recently registered might (heck, they're probably just learning about this prob!), but most any "veteran" of a UBB who regularly posts on a daily basis, already knows about the problem Ford has with their modular engine heads spitting spark plugs.

It was nice to read that write-up on the Consumer Affairs website tho! Let's see if this link works.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/01/ford_truck_engines.html

This snippet from that page is interesting: "Last week's R. L. Polk & Co. Loyalty Survey found Toyota bumping Ford from the #1 spot, ending Ford's nine-year reign.

Most auto executives would agree that what Ford needs to become profitable is to sell more cars and trucks -- not to further alienate what remains of its customer base by making its consumers pay the tab for Ford's oversights."

Here's a question for you guys: Do you think Ford can turn it around, and if so, how long do you think it will take them?

Stewart

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread