Re-installing ac belt

pixlix

Established Member
So I replaced the ac compressor on my 2012 5.0, i reinstalled it but I cannot put that belt on there to save my life, their is no tensioner and the belt just runs from the crank pulley to the ac compressor pulley, I am out of ideas on how to get the damn thing on there, does anyone know the procedure to get it done or am I missing a special tool or something , any help is greatly appreciated thanks

JerryC

Established Member
it's a stretch belt, right? it's got just a little give in it?

Never done one on the 5.0...

Can you get it started on the pulleys at all?

If you can, here's how I used to put those type of belts on.
Put the belt around the smaller pulley, and start it on the big pulley (or was it the other way?). Bump the engine over to pull it onto the big pulley.

You'll need to know which way the pulleys turn, and some way to bump the engine without it starting.

"05GT"

Established Member
zip tie the belt to the crank and then install it on the a/c pulley and turn the crank with a ratchet. It will walk the belt on the crank

pixlix

Established Member
I found out gates sells a tool to install these type if stretch belts so im going try it with that one when it gets here tommorow, I can't crank the vehicle over because I'm have all the vehicles electrical harness disconnected but if the tool doesn't work in going to try the crank over method when I reconnect everything , I will keep you guys updated thanks

"05GT"

Established Member
Just put a ratchet on the crank and turn it by hand with the plugs out. Makes it really easy.

Users who are viewing this thread