Re-Conditioning a Rag Top?

ShadesofGrey

Established Member
Let's make this to the point... I did a search, nothing came up. I really want to get my rag top on 01 Cobra looking like new again. Any reccomendations on any products to use/buy. Thank u so much in advance...

03vertsnake

Driver
Established Member
Let's make this to the point... I did a search, nothing came up. I really want to get my rag top on 01 Cobra looking like new again. Any reccomendations on any products to use/buy. Thank u so much in advance...

Raggtopp is what i use. They have one specific for cloth and specific for vinyl.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Raggtopp will not renew the jet black color. You top is faded from UV rays and the damage is done already. You could try and dye it but I am not sure how to go about doing that

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Any upholstery shop should be able to dye it for you. That said, I would probably just replace the top and move on.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Any upholstery shop should be able to dye it for you. That said, I would probably just replace the top and move on.

this.

buy a new top from convertibletopguys.com, have it professionally installed (unless you have the patience to tackle it yourself), and keep it treated with Raggtopp from day 1.

ShadesofGrey

Established Member
hmmm

this.

buy a new top from convertibletopguys.com, have it professionally installed (unless you have the patience to tackle it yourself), and keep it treated with Raggtopp from day 1.

That's just not an option, I don't have that kind of money to throw around on something I already have. (its at least 1k right?)

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
That's just not an option, I don't have that kind of money to throw around on something I already have. (its at least 1k right?)

I dunno about the mustang tops, but for my GST (Haartz Stayfast) top with glass rear (with defroster) and the install kit was $600 something. But theres a very insanely detailed writeup on how to install it for my car that me and my buddy could easily follow and do it right the first time. Not sure if theres one for the mustang top.

Looks like the OEM mustangs stock top is a Chrysler Sailcloth, the kit for your car with glass rear with defroster with install kit is $400. If you upgrade to the Haartz Stayfast Canvas top with all the bells and whistles its $640.

Thats funny, my cars actually made by Chrysler and comes with a Haartz top stock, yours is made by Ford and has a Chrysler top.....

If you DO find a dye that works, let me/us know. I need to dye mine as its turned gray in some areas, and i dropped a bottle of back2black on it once and theres a spot right in the middle where its discolored and attracts dust quicker so it turns brown.

Last edited:

03vertsnake

Driver
Established Member
Is that going to make my top go from faded black to permanently jet black again?

No it will not restore the color. Its a cleaner and protector not a restorer. If it bothers you that much I would just replace it, but if you do make sure you go with a cloth top instead of a vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread