"Rawness" of terminators vs GT500's

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
Never driven a GT500 but have been in my buddies 07 GT500. I like my Terminator much better, but that's just me. Something about the 03/04 Cobra just stands out more than a GT500 IMO..both amazing cars though, and I'd rock a 2011+ GT500 any day. I hate the 07ish body style though.

03COBRA-88

Established Member
:lol: I was thinking the same thing when I read his post. He never says anything good at all about Terminators, and just remarks about what junk they are, so why bother hanging here?:??:

+1 I also notice that. I think he is just trying to get the terminator owners all riled up.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
:lol: I was thinking the same thing when I read his post. He never says anything good at all about Terminators, and just remarks about what junk they are, so why bother hanging here?:??:

I still drive the shit out of it. I just don't pretend it's something it's not. :read:

JAYSVT06

Established Member
My godfather has a 2008 shelby gt 500, i have put more miles on it than him, i take care of his cars, and i talked him into puttin the steeda package on it, pulley, intake, and tune, suppose be guaranteed 144rearwheelhp gain until we put that on i thought it was a joke, let me tell you this, my opinions, stock vs stock, the 03 walked all over it as he has both, the gt 500 is extremely comfortable, smooth and ez on the road, and what i dont like is that its huge, i mean its sits beside his dads old vista cruiser in the garage and its the same length and width, its just a huge car, feels like a big Cadillac. Yah people turn heads at it, but my 03 cobra with a 2.8 pulley and same mods basically, and i beat it granted he cant drive as good as me but mine turns more heads, but i whippled mine, and there is no way ill think ill ever find a better funner car to drive!! Ive yet to drive a whippled shelby, but lets face it there huge and 4,000lbs, and there expensive, and yesterday driving it was avg 14.5mpg on the screen and my whipple cobra walks that all day long:rockon:

Last edited:

DE07GT

Established Member
I guess I dont understand. I'm assuming that with a drive by wire there feels like a disconnect between you and the motor and might not feel the same. But what does a tune do different to make it better?

Also, I'm starting to think that because the cobra is around 9 years old that there is way more of them and are modded so differently compared to '11 and '12 500's. Many of which that may not be so heavily modded yet due to them being so new.

It's hard to explain, but all you have to drive a stock car and one with a good tune. The lag makes it feel like there's a dead spot when you first hit the pedal. You basically have to raise rpms and dump the clutch to not make it feel dead straight off the line. A friend of mine did the opposite of me and went from a Terminator to a S197 GT.. he noticed right away that the throttle just feels wrong.
It will still give you a slightly disconnected feel compared to a cable throttle after the tune, but it feels 1000x better than stock.

cobracide

Established Member

Yep, all he does is look for juicy Terminator/GT500 threads here and troll. Interject Terminator bash and gone.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
To the op: 80mph in the terminator will feel like 65-70 in a gt500. The chassis are very different with the gt500's feeling much more like a vault: quieter, more isolated, more stable, more refined. Much more like a German coupe rather than a mid 90's American coupe. As a daily driver they are a great option and very fun. Let's face it: 12's stock are 12's. Bolt ons take them into the 11's and a blower swap into the 10's. That's awesome fun no matter what you like.

That being said, 03 cobra's are much less expensive and feel faster all the time. I like my 03 cobra a lot but honestly the interior is crap and the car squeaks so much that I'm ashamed to take friends for a ride that have m3's, gtr's etc. And mind you mine is about as modded as a street terminator gets. I'd say go gt500 even though I own a custom tt, built f/r sus 03 (only 57k miles no less).

Now if it's a project car and not a daily driver, go terminator and never look back. You'll have more fun with a project terminator but you'll enjoy a gt500 a lot more as a daily driver. It's not that a gt500 won't be fun at 9 second spec but it will never seem as fast or as on the edge and heart racing. It will get your adrenaline going but a terminator will straight scare you in 9 sec trim. A 9 sec gt500 will impress and coddle you though, it's like comparing a veyron and an ultimate aero(kinda) one is so impressively stable and refined, the other is ungodly too fast for its own good even though its still built very well.

Hope this helped.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Yep, all he does is look for juicy Terminator/GT500 threads here and troll. Interject Terminator bash and gone.

:kaboom:

I've been modding and driving SN95s for 13 years. I love seeing the Terminator nutswingers in denial about what their 9 year old cars really are.

You can buy a Hyundai with 429hp these days. Time marches on fellas. Most of you still deny that the GT500 and BOSS are the better vehicles.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Can't go wrong with either.

For me nothing beats the "badassness" of a pissed-off Terminaor:mj:

That compact, close coupled short wheelbase chassis is a better canvas to paint on then a GT500. Not taking anything away from the Shelby though.

If you got the dough and like to mod the car get a Cobra. If you got the dough and don't like modding that much get a GT500 :coolman:

black 10th vert

Established Member
:kaboom:

I've been modding and driving SN95s for 13 years. I love seeing the Terminator nutswingers in denial about what their 9 year old cars really are.

You can buy a Hyundai with 429hp these days. Time marches on fellas. Most of you still deny that the GT500 and BOSS are the better vehicles.

I don't know, maybe the Terminator you personally have is just a junky, rattletrap?:shrug: I mean we hear all the time in modding threads that all of these cars are different, maybe you just got a lemon, or something. It may only be the fact that I have the FTBR bushings, Race springs, Bilstein HDs, Hans Racecraft subs, and rear STB, MM stuff, etc., in my vert, but it is no where near being a rattletrap! In fact, it rides tighter than my wife's '11 Legacy.;-) Most of your posts come off as being VERY troll-like in nature, because you only seem to post negative things about these cars when you are clearly on a site which was created around these cars, so the "nut-swinger" comment is just plain stupid!:nonono:

Last edited:

black 10th vert

Established Member
I would rock an '11 GT500 any day of the week, and probably have about $40k in my '03 at this point, but what I have is 100% paid for, and at this point, I'd have to have a big note to buy a GT500, even after selling my Terminator, so to me it definitely would not be a worthwhile trade up, especially since I wouldn't be able to afford to mod it with a big payment every month, and still have a car the couldn't outrun what I currently own outright.;-)

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I don't know, maybe the Terminator you personally have is just a junky, rattletrap?:shrug: I mean we hear all the time in modding threads that all of these cars are different, maybe you just got a lemon, or something. It may only be the fact that I have the FTBR bushings, Race springs, Bilstein HDs, Hans Racecraft subs, and rear STB, MM stuff, etc., in my vert, but it is no where near being a rattletrap! In fact, it rides tighter than my wife's '11 Legacy.;-) Most of your posts come off as being VERY troll-like in nature, because you only seem to post negative things about these cars when you are clearly on a site which was created around these cars, so the "nut-swinger" comment is just plain stupid!:nonono:

I wish my car felt tight; I have full mm f/r with flsc, a Detroit tt, lvl5s2's, and mines a coupe. Mine rattles like it was built in 1953 not 2003. The chassis is as rigid as a black hole but the interior just squeaks upon any road imperfections.

To the op; find an 03/4 like black 10th found and you'll be set. I wish I had.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member

I've been in dozens of these cars and have a lot more in the suspension than you do. It handles good, but definitely sounds like a 30 year old chassis.

I post in Tech as well as Talk threads. No trolling just giving my opinions based on a ton of first hand experience with the platform. :bored:

hiimdrummer03

Established Member
I think a 03/04 Cobra is hard to beat. Half the price of a GT500 making almost the same power.Also i think they stand out more. Until the new GT500 the way there setup from the factory they seem like just a new performance car with a smooth ride.Getting in the Cobra has its own feel.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
The 'rawness' in the Terminator comes from it feeling like it wants to fall apart when mashing the Go Pedal. :lol1:

You must not take very good care of yours....mine still drives and smells like new becuase I don't have any of those problems.

I still drive the shit out of it. I just don't pretend it's something it's not. :read:

Pot meet kettle. Love the GT500 owners who pretend something it's not :)

You of all people should know how overblown the new GT500's are....they just aren't that fast unless you spend big bucks.

jdh1213

2.8 Kenne Bell
Established Member
I love the GT500's but you can't beat the 03/04 Cobra as far as bang for the buck. Mine rides good, handles good and the Go Fast Pedal works great. Mine is tight with no rattles and for the $20K initial investment and maybe another $5K I'm tickled shitless with it.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
You must not take very good care of yours....mine still drives and smells like new becuase I don't have any of those problems.

Pot meet kettle. Love the GT500 owners who pretend something it's not :)

You of all people should know how overblown the new GT500's are....they just aren't that fast unless you spend big bucks.

My GT500 is faster on the road course than my Cobra with 1/4 of the mods.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I've been in dozens of these cars and have a lot more in the suspension than you do. It handles good, but definitely sounds like a 30 year old chassis.

I post in Tech as well as Talk threads. No trolling just giving my opinions based on a ton of first hand experience with the platform. :bored:

Well, I also have a lot more in my suspension than I listed, just didn't want to write a paragraph of mods, but those are probably the things that contribute most to the overall road feel of the car, which is why I mentioned them. Another reason my car may not be as loose as some, is due to the relatively low miles (just over 15k), and my car has never been thrashed at the track, which I feel contributes greatly to losing a lot of the new car feel, even though it's what they are designed to do. I feel that after repeated road course, quarter mile, or whatever race type use is engaged in, ANY car will loosen up and develop rattles, and other stuff that you complain about. Wait until your GT500 is as old as your Cobra (assuming you drive it the same way), and get back to us. Chances are REALLY great that you will be complaining about most of the same crap when the current crop of owners are raving about their (new to them) GT500s.

As far as it sounding like a 30 year old chassis, well of course it does when compared to almost any new car out there, including much cheaper cars like the Focus. That is a fact that is simply due to better sound suppression materials, design, etc., which are constantly being updated with each model year. That isn't to say that these things can't be greatly improved on the Terminator, though, with some extra sound deadening, and stuff like that if someone took the time to do it. With the current cars, all of that stuff is just done at the factory, which you are just paying dearly for someone else to do.;-)

black 10th vert

Established Member
I wish my car felt tight; I have full mm f/r with flsc, a Detroit tt, lvl5s2's, and mines a coupe. Mine rattles like it was built in 1953 not 2003. The chassis is as rigid as a black hole but the interior just squeaks upon any road imperfections.

To the op; find an 03/4 like black 10th found and you'll be set. I wish I had.

I think a big piece may be what I spoke about in my previous post with regard to actual miles on the car, as well as how it is used. Most of these cars at this point are on the 2nd, 3rd, or even more owners, so they may have been thrashed very hard at points in their life, even if it's currently a garage queen. Also, just plain driving the car on the crappy roads that most parts of the country have these days contributes to the rattly feel of older cars like these with less sound deadening than current cars come with. You have more direct "feel" as well as hearing the road conditions, which I feel makes a big difference in your overall perception of the car. I know where I drive mine makes a big difference to me in how the car feels. The cheap plastic panels do move a bit on the dash, but I had mine done in CF, to get rid of some of the cheap feel, and then used some silicone like described in the "how to" section on the mounting points, and it makes a huge difference in the perceived "feel" of the car as well.

03COBRA-88

Established Member
Well, I also have a lot more in my suspension than I listed, just didn't want to write a paragraph of mods, but those are probably the things that contribute most to the overall road feel of the car, which is why I mentioned them. Another reason my car may not be as loose as some, is due to the relatively low miles (just over 15k), and my car has never been thrashed at the track, which I feel contributes greatly to losing a lot of the new car feel, even though it's what they are designed to do. I feel that after repeated road course, quarter mile, or whatever race type use is engaged in, ANY car will loosen up and develop rattles, and other stuff that you complain about. Wait until your GT500 is as old as your Cobra (assuming you drive it the same way), and get back to us. Chances are REALLY great that you will be complaining about most of the same crap when the current crop of owners are raving about their (new to them) GT500s.

As far as it sounding like a 30 year old chassis, well of course it does when compared to almost any new car out there, including much cheaper cars like the Focus. That is a fact that is simply due to better sound suppression materials, design, etc., which are constantly being updated with each model year. That isn't to say that these things can't be greatly improved on the Terminator, though, with some extra sound deadening, and stuff like that if someone took the time to do it. With the current cars, all of that stuff is just done at the factory, which you are just paying dearly for someone else to do.;-)

I think a big piece may be what I spoke about in my previous post with regard to actual miles on the car, as well as how it is used. Most of these cars at this point are on the 2nd, 3rd, or even more owners, so they may have been thrashed very hard at points in their life, even if it's currently a garage queen. Also, just plain driving the car on the crappy roads that most parts of the country have these days contributes to the rattly feel of older cars like these with less sound deadening than current cars come with. You have more direct "feel" as well as hearing the road conditions, which I feel makes a big difference in your overall perception of the car. I know where I drive mine makes a big difference to me in how the car feels. The cheap plastic panels do move a bit on the dash, but I had mine done in CF, to get rid of some of the cheap feel, and then used some silicone like described in the "how to" section on the mounting points, and it makes a huge difference in the perceived "feel" of the car as well.

Great posts. I was thinking just that. My cobra only has 15k and has never been abused. It feels very tight and doesn't rattle or make any kind of noises. The suspension was all stock up until two weeks ago. It now rides on h&r races springs and feels even better.

Users who are viewing this thread