Rattling Sound/I might not hate my car anymore

Cannons

Established Member
If any of you remember my posts about hating my car due to the rattling I found it.......
I pulled the diff out of my car today. When I was carrying the case the parts inside were rattling. I removed the cover to find the carrier was moving side to side. I checked the backlash as it was .030!!!!! When it was set up it had .008-.010. There might have been some foul play involved. After the rear was set up I took it into a shop to have the axle bearings pressed out and installed. They told me they had to remove the carrier to do it. I asked if everything was torqued back to specs and all the schimms were put back where they were. They said yes, I should have rechecked the rear before I installed it. I didnt hear any rattling when I picked it up because they wrapped it in plastic. It whined and rattled when I 1st drove the car. Is it possible for the case to strech? Bearings not pressed all the way? I am pulling out my fuel tank to install a 255 pump so I wont have it all back together until Monday.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
It's not impossible that the tolerances loosened up. It's also not impossible that guy working on your differential didn't care to check to make sure the tolerances were correct before he buttoned everything back up.

Really there's only one way to find out. rest the lash and install in the car. If the noises and rattles dissapear and don't come back, you have yoru answer.

johnjib

Little '99 SVT
Established Member
Congrats man. Always good to get quirks out of the car. But remember it is always a love hate relationship with the new edges.

Users who are viewing this thread