Rattling Noise near bell housing

jmonday

Established Member
Hello,
Can anyone recognize this noise in the video and point out what it is? I've replace the clutch fork and throw out bearing and tightened up the starter plate around the bell housing. I cannot find where else this could be if its not part of the clutch assembly. I also checked if it was the break dust shields.
The noise does not change with the clutch being engaged or disengaged. The rattling is prominent at low rpm idle, initial load from stopping to starting and is most noticeable while turning right. Turning left is very minimal.
2004 cobra.

shurur

Established Member
Check whether the cover that goes over the slave cylinder or clutch fork cable is loose.

One bolt can be tight and the other loose. The shield will look like it is fully installed and will rattle at the speeds you describe.

01yellercobra

Established Member
To add to what shurur said, check the cover for the clutch fork and make sure it has the foam around the edge. If it doesn't it'll rattle no matter how tight the bolt is.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
To add to what shuru said, check the cover for the clutch fork and make sure it has the foam around the edge. If it doesn't it'll rattle no matter how tight the bolt is.

Also the metal is so thin that it can crack or fatique. I had to repair mine with a perforated plate and screws.

They still do sell new ones..but I am cheap.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Also the metal is so thin that it can crack or fatique. I had to repair mine with a perforated plate and screws.

They still do sell new ones..but I am cheap.
I haven't had one for at least 7 years. One of those things I meant to get around to.

2001Cobrabuddy

Established Member
Cover for the clutch fork like 01yellercobra mentioned. Clutch fork is vibrating against the cover causing the harmonics. Take it off to verify.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I'd say these guys are most likely correct. Or, the bushing at the end of the fork is loose slightly, but I'd guess the other guys are correct here. Good luck man. It's the little annoying things like this that will drive you insane....haha.

jmonday

Established Member
Update: Found the Issue.

The Flywheel Ring Gear has come off. Attached is an image of a flywheel similar to mine. I've circled the area where my question is, are these bolts connecting the ring gear to the flywheel? Just curious, I will be replacing the flywheel with a new one.

Video Of Flywheel & Ring Gear

Attachments

• IMG_0148-New (1).png
    IMG_0148-New (1).png
    2 MB · Views: 48

Users who are viewing this thread