Rattle Sound on Start Up/Low load RPM

shadow0415

Established Member
Hello everyone, ive spent a good couple days searching and have had no luck seeing if there is any replication of my issue. Hopefully the symptoms will point me in the right direction through some folks more knowledgeable than I engine sounds. It is a Mach 1, and while I have it posted on the Mach 1 forums, I feel the similar engine will get good traffic from the cobra guys as well. This is my first post here, so it all looks foreign to me. Car details at the end of post.

About a week ago, I noticed what sounds like the "marbles in the can" at start up of my car, what seems to be more prominent on the driver side. It happens both cold and fully warm. Thinking it was ping, I should note that it didn't sound the same as what I have experienced as ping before in my mid range with very distinct spark sounds. This sounds like a spark, but not the same spark, more like a buzz. Currently the sound is made both accelerating and decelerating, with or without throttle.

Car is seeming to run normal, vacuum is typical with what I normally see (per "cabin vacuum gauge").

So far the testing has been to remove timing 2* each day. (The car is tuned via AM). Down 6*, i still get the rattle on start up. I think tuning will not be a solution.

It is most audible when starting my car, then it stops, I pull away and it cannot be heard from the cabin. With my windows cracked, I can hear it under low load and below 2.5K rpm next to a wall or barrier in the road. Part of this is making me think it is coming from the bottom, but it it was in the crank/pins, shouldnt it be audible at all times?

Things I want to test:

spark plugs --> if this is causing the issue, what should I be looking for?
COP --> what is the best way to test? I do have access to multi-meters and what have you
Oil Change Coming Up --> heard a bad filter can cause problems
EGR --> how to test, what to look for. Ive heard this too can cause ping like issues.

Anything else you can recommend would be awesome. Time is very limited, so im stuck doing the internet thing for the next couple weeks.

2004 MACH 1
72k on the chassis, about 12k on a re-manufactured engine (practically new)
Stock/Original Clutch
K&N Drop in filter
Prochamber midpipe, bassani catback
NGK G-Power (tr6?) with stock COPs

Thank you!

shadow0415

Established Member
Did you try loading the stock tune and seeing what it does?

I will do that over the weekend to see how the long term mapping sorts out.

The tune right now is a street tune which has has timing doped in intervals. Doing this on the street tune saw the same ping from 2-6 degree change. Did not test further.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Timing chain tensioner(s) gone or going bad? This will allow the chain(s) to slap around inside the timing cover.

shadow0415

Established Member
Timing chain tensioner(s) gone or going bad? This will allow the chain(s) to slap around inside the timing cover.

Would something like this be a persistent through the entire RPM range?

Is something like that any more noticeable though driving habit?

Also, I thought that sound was more of a tick/slappy noise.

Not sure if Ill get around to cracking off the head covers any time soon to check that. *Fingers Crossed*

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Would something like this be a persistent through the entire RPM range?

Is something like that any more noticeable though driving habit?

Also, I thought that sound was more of a tick/slappy noise.

Not sure if Ill get around to cracking off the head covers any time soon to check that. *Fingers Crossed*

Depending on IF the tensioner holds any pressure or not PLUS depends on if the timing chain guides are worn/broken.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I had a tensioner go bad. It definitely made some noise. It sounded like a rod knock at idle. But when I revved it, the noise would go away because the oil pressure went up. I had to isolate the noise before I figured out what it was.

shadow0415

Established Member
Did you try loading the stock tune and seeing what it does?

I ran it with a stock tune on my trip to Fresno over the weekend. When coming home, I stopped for gas after driving a good 70 miles, and at start up there was no implication of the sound, however, the sound returned when starting up this morning.

Sounds like I may not be getting enough oil pressure at start-up?

Ill have to double-check with the work ford did when replacing my engine. Id be quite concerned if my tensioners are bad after 11k miles. I was told everything was replaced with re-manufactured parts, but the accessories are the original with 72k on them.

railroad

Established Member
I had the same thing happen on my 99 cobra. ended up being a spark plug

Good idea to check. It does sound exhaust pressure related. If it is not at the front of the engine, it could be in the exhaust. Low pressure lets the debris move and rattle, increased rpm and pressure holds it against the pipe or converter

shadow0415

Established Member
Interesting update.

Since my last mentioning a week ago and not begin able to check anything, I have not had any issue at all. Sounds perfectly fine, no rattle. Maybe all the angry ranting solved it.

Users who are viewing this thread