Rated Racing Underwear Thread

DocB

Established Member
Which ones are you wearing and how do you like them?

If you anticipate getting new ones, which ones, and why?

djs197mustang

S197 Road Racer
Established Member
Have worn Alpinestars ZX Nomex (black) for the last few years, very comfortable. I did, however, spec myself with an OMP Double-Layer Balaclava, as it has no seam running down the forehead - surprised none of the other manufacturers have cottoned on to this yet. Available in natural or black, again from Demon Tweeks in the UK (I did a big order when I was over there in 2009).

Double Layer Open Face Nomex Balaclava

omp_dl-of-nom-bala-blk.jpg

djs197mustang

S197 Road Racer
Established Member
With all that being said though; I'm still struggling to find a really comfortable sock. Maybe if they did a double layer one (like the OMP Balaclava) it would actually be comfortable and not chafe as much as the thin socks that are available?

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I like that design. I generally end up with a line running down my forehead after a race from the pressure point of the seam. I switched to an Oakley Carbon X balaclava last year and that helped since the seam is flatter.

BAh7CWkKIgwzNjh4NTI3aQtsKwdiWpVJaQdpC2kIaQJFbw.jpg

brkntrxn

Established Member
To the Original Poster:

If you buy a suit rated high enough, you do not need to spend money on a retardant undergarments.

-Kevin

David Hester

Established Member
^ Weeeeeell yes and no. The double layer GF545 has a tpp of 23 which gives you 11.5 seconds of exposure to flame before you start blistering. Any extra layers gives you a few more seconds. That can be nomex (GOOD) or even cotton (fair). Summer I wear CoolShirt T and shorts under my driving suit in the summer and always nomex longjohns in Spring and Fall.
Something to consider, too. Why protect your body for 11 seconds and then buy cheap or single layer gloves to protect your hands, that are getting you the heck out of the car for 5 seconds. Double layer gloves, good shoes and nomex socks.
Practice getting out of the car with full gear and belts, etc fastened.
Account for a few seconds getting whoaed down, after you notice the fire.
Working F&C for close to 30 years, most car fires I've worked were one's that started somewhere on track and blazed up when car stopped at corner.. or in the case of one Camaro, 100 yards down track with me chasing it with a 20 lb fire bottle. The thing was, she was trying to get to a fire truck station, and passed us with one before she realized how big the flames were.
We were at 7 Road Atlanta and the next fire truck was at 8 at the time.
We saw the flames coming into 7 and I started running with the bottle, waiting for her to coast to a stop. I was a HELL of a lot younger then.

When I started, I found a Army-Navy store that had surplus "model CWU-43P, drawers, flyers, anti-exposure, aramid (nomex)." They were less expensive than those offered by Auto Supply stores.
They also had single layer nomex "gloves, helicopter flyer" Lightweight, but not sure how much protection for how long. Same for socks. I have 3 or 4 pair so, II think I paid $75-80 for SOCKS, gloves, tops and bottoms. it was awhile back, though....
Another place to look is a firefighter supply store. Hood, socks, etc. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Militar...derwear-Nomex-Aramid-Drawers-Sm-/370558748473

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Established Member
I agree with David's comments. My post above was to get you to the minimum requirements to race. Anything you do above and beyond depends on how much you value your skin. :)

Users who are viewing this thread