Rated Racing Firesuits Thread

DocB

Established Member
What are you using and how do you like it?

If you anticipate on getting a new one, which one, and why?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Im gonna answer all three questions in one post.

Simpson Standard 19 3.2A/5, no complaints it a good suit for the money.

I dont plan on buying a new driver suit, I upgraded helmets this year and also had to buy a H&N restraint.

Gloves Simpson 3.3/5 Posi Grip gloves, Theyre dual layer and thicker than the Simpson Sportman gloves I used last year.

I dont have any race rated long underwear yet. I usually do wear a 100% cotton long sleeve shirt under my driver suit.

djs197mustang

S197 Road Racer
Established Member
What are you using and how do you like it?

If you anticipate on getting a new one, which one, and why?

I should preface my response by pointing out that in Australia all our road racing suits have to be FIA 8856-2000 standard.

I had my suit custom made by RPM (an Australian Company, based out of Revolution Racegear in Melbourne). I considered an imported suit, but wanted custom embroidery and custom fit, so the choice was easy.

I use the professional X-Tech 2 suit:
-lightweight breathable 2-layer Nomex
-side mounted handpulls (rather than across the shoulders, clears HANS device so more comfortable)
-'NASCAR' cuffs, cover over boot top, looks better, more ankle protection
-fully customisable for dimensions, stitching, piping, embroidery etc.

Here's a shot of me displaying the best of Australia @ the Nurburgring:
P1020971small.jpg

David Hester

Established Member
Had a buddy that worked for G-force nee AutoPro in Georgia for years.
I use G-Force helmet, suit, gloves, belts.
I have used Vann's (probably not in business now-that was 30 years ago), Simpson, and G-Force. For the price, GF-545 is hard to beat. The coolest suit I've ever worn, really nice with a CoolShirt even in July and August.
<< sporting my GF-545 during podium interview. ;^)

IMG_1136.JPG

PICT0304.jpg

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I should preface my response by pointing out that in Australia all our road racing suits have to be FIA 8856-2000 standard.

I had my suit custom made by RPM (an Australian Company, based out of Revolution Racegear in Melbourne). I considered an imported suit, but wanted custom embroidery and custom fit, so the choice was easy.

I use the professional X-Tech 2 suit:
-lightweight breathable 2-layer Nomex
-side mounted handpulls (rather than across the shoulders, clears HANS device so more comfortable)
-'NASCAR' cuffs, cover over boot top, looks better, more ankle protection
-fully customisable for dimensions, stitching, piping, embroidery etc.

Here's a shot of me displaying the best of Australia @ the Nurburgring:
P1020971small.jpg

Gee and I always thought this is what an Australian driver suit looked like.

australiandriversuit.jpg

:beer: haha cheers m8!!

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
I've been thinking about getting a 1-pc suit but not sure what kind. Ive tried on a single layer pyrotec suit and although it fit nicely, I'm not sure if a single layer will cut it for me. The material is so thick and heavy, unlike multi-layer nomex suits that are light weight and soft.

djs197mustang

S197 Road Racer
Established Member
But the most breathable suit you can afford - I had an old-style 3-layer suit that was like being sealed in a canvas bag, couldn't believe the difference the lightweight suit made when I traded up.

I've been thinking about getting a 1-pc suit but not sure what kind. Ive tried on a single layer pyrotec suit and although it fit nicely, I'm not sure if a single layer will cut it for me. The material is so thick and heavy, unlike multi-layer nomex suits that are light weight and soft.

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
What's the lightest material used on fire suits? Would it be nomex? Has anyone tried the RacEquip 120 series suit? It's a multi-layer suit made of Pyrovatex material and in the sub-$300 price range. Sounds like a good deal if it's fairly lightweight and comfortable.

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I have worn a couple of suits ranging from something built similar to a Killer Chiller to my current suit. I absolutely love the Sparco Evo4. Without a doubt it is the best thing I put on all weekend. Light, airy, very comfortable, etc. After wearing this the first time, I could not believe how much more comfortable a good suit made me feel in the car.

Link to suit: Sparco X Light Evo-4

315892_248504935186919_100000822442541_651274_237142071_n.jpg

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
David, after reading your brief review on the GF545 suit I tried it in today and was amazed by its lightweight and comfort! It was more comfortable than a $700+ Sparco suit I tried on and for only $399! Thanks for the tip on the suit!

David Hester

Established Member
:beer:
Yeah, best suit I've worn, for the price or fit without going for a custom fit suit.

And it doesn't make your butt look big. LOL
DaveBMP2009Race.009.png

moving on.

That being said, for anyone else considering, DON"T get too small a suit. You want some air space between you and any fire. Skin tight won't protect you much.

Last edited:

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Since Im still in HPDE, would wearing a suit deem me a poser? I had a guy at work tell me that lol! I consider it a safety feature, but my car is still a street car and I'm not "racing" so I don't know what to say?

David Hester

Established Member
Um... I wear my equipment instructing, BUT I guess it could kinda be posing if you don't go all out. Nomex socks, gloves, shoes. Did know a guy years ago that would autocross with single layer nomex suit that was WAY to small, and had a Star Trek emblem sewn on....SOB was autocrossing a Lotus Elige the last time I saw him, still. :poke:
I've never had a student car catch fire, but I had a Formula Ford spit, stop running and bellow smoke when an oil line came off. Kinda disconcerning when your head is just 18 inches from the oil tank fitting and you are sitting on the fuel cell.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread