rare collectable in fire

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
66 Shelby SFM6S1446 was lost in the California wildfires. Any Shelby Club members that can report it to the registry

16835227_1X.JPG

16835227_4X.JPG

16835227_7X.JPG

16835227_5X.JPG

Last edited:

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
The insurance company listed the ACV (actual cash value) @ $90K which is what they pay off. If the car was decent it would have brought more than that in todays inflated market.

I bet someone pays stupid money for the car and rebodies it. Thats why I am hoping it will be listed in the Shelby registry before a new buyer gets burned on a "nice original 66 Shelby"

I know there are a couple of classic shelby guys on here so hopefully it will get recorded as such if it hasn't been already. I don;t know who to contact or I'd submit the info myself.

There have been quite a few rare muscle cars already come up for sale that were burned. I saw a listing for a Chevelle collection someone had. 70 SS Convertible, 70 SS Coupe, and 67 SS 396/4spd Convertible....on those cars the insurance company destroyed the vin tags.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
68 California Special ( GT/CS )

15914797_1X.JPG

15914797_2X.JPG

Last edited:

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Someone would probably pay a fortune for those VIN tags if they are saveable. Sad thing is after the insurance company gets them they will probably go to the crusher.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
They are being sold through insurance salvage pools... so its up to the buyer as to what happens.

The Shelby vin tag is still intact according to the listing.
The GT/CS vin tag is removed according to the listing

SoCal94

Established Member
If the VIN gets listed in the Shelby registry, then it won't be worth a fortune anymore, because any educated buyer will know that it's either a fake or a rebody. It might be worth more than a clone, I guess.

I think the California Special is just as big of a loss - those things have parts that aren't possible to replace, don't they?

Unfortunately, with all the stuff right now between Rick Kopec/SAAC and Shelby, I don't think there will be another Registry. I was hoping to get one, since I missed out on the 1997 edition (they only come out every 10 or so years!)

SoCal94

kevin

If the VIN gets listed in the Shelby registry, then it won't be worth a fortune anymore, because any educated buyer will know that it's either a fake or a rebody. It might be worth more than a clone, I guess.

I think the California Special is just as big of a loss - those things have parts that aren't possible to replace, don't they?

Unfortunately, with all the stuff right now between Rick Kopec/SAAC and Shelby, I don't think there will be another Registry. I was hoping to get one, since I missed out on the 1997 edition (they only come out every 10 or so years!)

SoCal94

regardless of the issue revolving around saac and cs there will be another edition of the registry (both volumes). i am a registrar and still working on the compilation of info. btw, the owner of the shelby has already notified saac.

svt2205

Established Member
Not only will there be the 2 new volumes. They have had a number of the 97 issues reprinted so, contact SAAC if you're interested in buying one.

asperformance

Banned
Howard Pardee already has the information On the Shelby, it was actually 1445 that was in that Fire, Copart listed it wrong, and the funny part is that it only sold for like 1000 Bucks, I missed the Bidding a buddy of mine watched it sell, I would have bought it, I am sure with the Valve covers melted the Original Aluminum Shelby tag was destroyed, But all the Ford #'s would still be intact.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
I would have thought that it brought way more than $1K..... I figured someone would have given closer to $10K to use it as a rebody. I am sure the original shelby tag was melted but the ford vin would still be intact so a new replacement shelby tag could have been bought/stamped

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
68 California Special ( GT/CS )
15914797_1X.JPG

I wonder what that car was to the upper left in the picture by that burned pick up truck? It appears to be a 99-up Mustang from the side view? It appears to have rear wheel disc brakes.........a Cobra? maybe a Cobra R?

I can't tell if that is a tailpipe or not.................

R

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Regardless of who buys the tags and what car they are attached to, it would constutued as fraud. All the tags do is ID the car not the other way around. The tags should be destroyed.

The owner should have known better then to store a rare car in such a fire prone location. I feel sorry for the owners loss

RIP #SFM6S1446 :nonono:

Zak Attack

Huge Member
Established Member
I wonder what that car was to the upper left in the picture by that burned pick up truck? It appears to be a 99-up Mustang from the side view? It appears to have rear wheel disc brakes.........a Cobra? maybe a Cobra R?

R

Could also be a V6 car.

SlowSVT

Established Member

R

There is an elderly gentleman driving around Costa Mesa CA in a California Special that he bough new. I don't know much about these cars but after talking to him he claimed it was mearly an appearance package and nothing very exciting about it. To be honest the car looked kinda cheezy with trim that looked like it was pulled off another car and tacked onto the Mustang.

What's the deal with these things and what are they worth?

SoCal94

Established Member
I think the '99-up burned car may be a Bullitt - the C pillar looks a little different than a normal Mustang.

kevin - that's great info - I am happy to hear that some form of Registry will survive. Right now I have access to a copy of the '97 registry, but I'll check with SAAC on availability and pricing.

The California Special was a '68 California regional special. I don't know all the details, but I've seen quite a few of them since I grew up in SoCal. T-bird rear lights (probably using a Shelby rear panel), special rear spoiler (I think it was the same as the Shelby trans-am coupe one?), special colors, special script emblems all over the place, special hood. That sort of thing. Fairly limited production, and limited DSO availability (probably only DSO 71 and 72 originally). Other regions periodically had specials like this also (Denver High Country Special, Twister Specials in the midwest, etc.). I think the CS had to have a V8.

Edit to add: I believe that the California Special had those unobtanium Marchall fog lights, too, now that I think about it!

SoCal94

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I think the '99-up burned car may be a Bullitt - the C pillar looks a little different than a normal Mustang.

Is the roof different a Bullitt? I guess I assumed that the roof, including the C pillar was the same 99-04, infact I have heard some say that 94-04 is the same roof. Looking at my 95 and 00R's they do look the same, just different colors, but I have not looked at them closely, they may be different 94-98 and 99-up. :shrug:

One person that I know said that they had placed a removable hardtop form a 95 2-Top Cobra on a 2001 Cobra convert. and it basically fit in place, without the proper 95 2-Top specific attaching points of course. I personally did not see it.

R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread