Raptor Towing

Regulars520

Established Member
We are going to be doing a lot of traveling next summer and pulling a Enclosed car trailer that is loaded with a 3700lb car. Total weight is just over 10k lbs. The wife wants to get a Diesel because she wants the fuel mileage while pulling and lots of room. I want to go with the Raptor but not sure about towing this kind of weight cross country with it. Anybody pulling 10k plus weight with their Raptor? We will be traveling through mountains so keep that in mind.

Regulars520

Established Member
Try the Ford Raptor forums. 10k lbs is way too much for a Raptor.

Not what I wanted to hear. Looks like we will be going Diesel. Well at least I get a company discount on them, but was really hoping to justify the Raptor. They look like so much more fun then a Diesel

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Yeah too much. You can feel 10k+ behind a diesel 3/4ton truck (not stuggling but noticeable there) let alone a 1/2 truck on 35s lol. I would do just fine around town for an occasional tow but its gonna be hurting on the mountains. I would be suprised if you were getting 5-7mpg loaded.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
I towed my '98 GT on a full size U-Haul trailer for an 8-hour drive when I moved and actually got better gas mileage than when city driving. No ill effects noticed whatsoever, but this wasn't anywhere near 10K pounds, probably more like 6K'ish. I wouldn't be worried about the power from the truck being able to handle the load, the suspension part would concern me though. You might be able to use an airbag setup to get you there.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
Yeah its pretty unfortunate, the Raptor just isn't a great tow vehicle. Sadly considering what a raptor costs, you would be better off with a tuned Ecoboost than a raptor. That normally aspirated V8 is a complete thirsty gas hog piece of shit IMO. Also sadly with rebates you can get yourself a nice diesel super duty fully loaded for less than you would spend on a Raptor.

As far as the actual tow rating is that because of the long travel suspension not being good for towing or the engine, both?

10K is a lot for any 1/2 ton with a gas engine, even the Ecoboost will be a gas hog, and probably feel like the tail is wagging the dog, but it will definitely do better than a raptor as long as its tuned. We towed a 10K+ trailer with a 7.3 Diesel Excursion years ago, it did great but it was a lot of weight, I can't imagine towing that much without a 3/4 ton vehicle.

The raptor is nothing more than a cute expensive toy. There's only about 1 place in the country where you can actually use a raptor for what it was actually built for... the desert southwest where you have dunes and arroyos. And IF that's what your into, go spend 60K on a sand rail. Other than a slightly smoother ride and some ground clearance, its not going to do any better in snow, ice, or off road on typical mountainous or tight trails than any other slightly lifted 4x4 pickup.

Now the 2017 Raptor is looking promising with the Ecoboost motor... really looking forward to seeing how that does. Hoping for something more practical with a better engine, that is equally as cool looking.

Users who are viewing this thread