Raptor and towing with one

crazyhorse89

Established Member
Just wanna say hello to you guys over here with Raptors and ask a quick question. I am looking into buying a Raptor and I know with the soft suspension towing cap is going to be limited. Not looking into long hauls or extreme weight. Mostly a small trailer with four wheelers which I assume will be no issue. But my main concern is an open trailer with a 2400# dirt modified with spare wheels, misc parts, fuel jugs, air compressor, and a generator. I know weih of the trailer is a big factor but the track is roughly 10 miles away and can take nice side roads instead of the highway. Would you be afraid to use it for that??? Is there a certain hitch to distrbute the load better. Really dont want to buy an f250 just for the racecar and rather have a Raptor for the added fun factor. Thanks everybody for the time and input. Hope to join you soo

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
You def need to scale it.

The engine/trans has NO issue with towing.... your frame and rear springs are the weak link.

That said, a pair of Firestone airbags does WONDERS.

I tow a 3000# 7x16 enclosed without a weight distrib. hitch. Stock, it was ok but the rear was a little too soft. It was really only a concern if the wind picked up. The bags really helped a lot.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Never said it was "weak"; my comment has *nothing* to do with the offroad morons that slammed across the cattle gates doing 80+ mph...

I meant my original post in the manner that the overall strength of the frame section modulus is not that of an F250/F350 and that the rear springs of the Raptor are of a lower than average spring rate. So they can't hold a heavy load up.

Towing capacity is determined by more than just your rear axle capacity and spring rate.

Last edited:

crazyhorse89

Established Member
Never said it was "weak"; my comment has *nothing* to do with the offroad morons that slammed across the cattle gates doing 80+ mph...

I meant my original post in the manner that the overall strength of the frame section modulus is not that of an F250/F350 and that the rear springs of the Raptor are of a lower than average spring rate. So they can't hold a heavy load up.

Towing capacity is determined by more than just your rear axle capacity and spring rate.

I got what you are saying. Just dont want to buy a 250/350 bc I dont need that big of a truck on a daily basis.

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
BS, a Raptor can pull that weight just fine if it's at or under 8000 lbs for a screw. Ford is conservative on rating the tow ratings to cover their own azzes, they didn't rate the screw raptor at 8k and really only be able to tow 4k. A comparable f150 non-raptor woul dbe able to tow 11,300 lbs, so Ford already derated that to 8k lbs for the Raptor suspension.

I tow 7,000 lbs on a regular basis with mine. 15% of my mileage is with the trailer hooked up (love the secondary odometer for towing!). It tows 7k lbs effortlessly. You feel the trailer back there on acceleration as you would with any gas truck, but the suspension handles it fine, and on the highway it will tow doing 80 mph without even noticing it's back there. I used to tow 6500-7000 lbs with my 2000 HD truck and it was a white knuckle drive the entire time, that truck could NOT handle that weight comfortably. The Raptor I've towed over 10,000 lbs with 1,500 lbs in the bed and back seat area one time, WAY over loaded, something I did not want to do, but was stuck in the situation I had to do it or make 2 long azz trips, and it handled it just fine. I was actually more worried about my trailer breaking from overloading that, than overloading the Raptor. I had to remove the trailer fenders from the tires rubbing it was that loaded up. The Raptor squatted but towed just fine.

An open trailer with a 2400# car on it with some gear? Should be piece of cake even for a scab raptor with 6k rating. My trailer is 2400# open full deck as well, and I regularly pull my 4600# harley truck on it.

MTUH3

Tows Just fine....

421779_877279288177_1722962354_n.jpg

mach14604

Established Member
Can you get Firestone or Airlift bags for the Raptor. I am thinking also about ditching me F-250 Diesel and going to a Raptor. Is it worth it or stick with the Diesel. I would be pulling a 5000 pound landscape trailer and a Car Hauler with Car in it at about 7000 pounds.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
I have read where a few guys have put the air bags on the Raptor, so they must be available. You are within the tow limits of the Raptor in either case with a SCREW. As far a ditching the diesel - more of a personal choice, but with two things in mind: gas is cheaper than diesel and service costs are less with all else being equal. Just some food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread