Rant: Gear whine

fmylife

Established Member
Just need to rant about this because it's so annoying.

Is there something special about the rear in these cars that they don't like gears other than originally equipped? We installed FRPP 3.73s in my '08 and they whined from day 1. My friend reset them and installed a different pinion bearing and still the same problem.

Bought a set of Motive 3.73s to replace them thinking it was just the gears but even with a different person installing them (that has more experience than my friend who's been doing it for about 15 years) they still whine. He said the pattern looked great on the FRPP gears even though the pinion was a bit more loose than he would install but didn't see anything that would make them whine.

The whine gets louder with speed obviously and the highest pitch is around 75 mph but oddly gets almost dead silent over 85 even when decelerating until gets to about 80 then the whine is back.

Are we just missing something? 3.73s are a bit much for this car and the power it's putting down but I would gladly switch to 3.55s (felt like the clutch was much rougher on take off with the stock 3.31s vs. 3.73) if it meant having a silent gear.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Did you pour in some friction modifier when you refilled the gear case?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
3.73s seem to be the most problematic for these cars. Likely the most sensitive to the install specs as well. I have a feeling the 3 link tends to transmit more rearend noise through the UCA.

I've bad whiney 3.73s for years and also am half tempted to step down to a 3.55. 3.73s and the ported TVS the tires do nothing anyways.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I still have the stock 3.55, and it whines and groans, too. It's very whiny with the aftermarket control arms and mounts.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Same issue. I had rubber poly bushings in my old set of fixed bmr LCAs, and the stock UCA and mount. Gears were whining loudly in the area speed youre describing. I upgraded to the new rod end BMR adjustable UCA with my already aquired BMR upper mount and, incredibly, the level of whine DID NOT increase.

I think the 3 link is certainly a culprit. While i have no issue with a little bit of rear end noise, especially now that im all rod end for my control arms, the pitch and intensity if the worn gears are, simply, annoying.

Im about to hit up my Ford dealer and use my Carmax extended warranty.

pierce88

Established Member
Preach. Driving me crazy. I swore I'd never go back to 3.73s after the whine in my 14 GT but after replacing a clutch in my 13' GT500 after 27k miles I swapped the gears to 3.73 immediately.

And now I want to put a bullet in my head every time I Drive with the windows closed.

Might go with 4.10s just to try and work around it.

-Pierce

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Weird with 3.73, My buddy has done gears for over 20 years and many for me, he had problems with gear whine with 4.10 and higher. Even with a perfect pattern there would be noise. I don't remember which brands had higher issues than others, but he buys the frpp and motive the most. It sucks that you had 2 sets that have the problem

SirShaun

Established Member
I twisted the original rear on my 2010. I found a 2013 take off. Tru Trac, 3.73's, moser axles, with extended studs and it whines/chatters something fierce. Makes it more race car like. Stab the peddle and it doesn't matter.

avgt500

Established Member
I have the same problem, love the 3.73's hate the whine, had two sets, put in by 2 reputable shops, then I redid my last set, worked better but the noise is still there.
If I upgrade my axles I am going to try strange/us gear, they are the gears of choice in drag racing.

fullboogie

Established Member
Another sucker here. Every set of 3:73's in every single car I've owned has whined, and they are set up by some of the best guys in Houston. It happened three Foxes, my 08, and now my 07. I've given up.

fmylife

Established Member
Wow...a lot more responses than expected!

I talked to the shop this morning and he said he didn't hear anything when they had it on the dyno but wasn't really paying attention for it. Told me to come by and take him for a drive so he can hear it. I'm hoping that if I end up getting a set of 3.55s that he'll cut me a deal for the install lol.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I started with 3.73s, went to 3.55s (2 sets) all with very loud whine. I am using 3.15s now and they are the quietest ones of them all. Tried three install shops and two different brand of gears before sending the complete rear end to power by the hour in florida for the 3.15s. I guess I finally got lucky.

Canson

Established Member
Same with my 2012 gt500 with 3.73 gears and let me tell you it is not fun at all to drive the car on highway. This is the only and biggest issue I have with my car.

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

ghig50

Established Member
My 4.10 gears definitely make noise.i am sure the upper and lower control arms are contributing to 50% of the noise.
My old 13 GT that came with factory 373's made noise when I put in a poly upper had to pull it out and out in a roush to quiet that down.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Never felt I needed to change the 3.55's in the 11, but the 3.31's in the 14 had to go. Had FRPP 3.73's installed by the shop that does all my work.
www.teamjdm.com
..............................................NO issues from day 1 !!

pierce88

Established Member
Never felt I needed to change the 3.55's in the 11, but the 3.31's in the 14 had to go. Had FRPP 3.73's installed by the shop that does all my work.
www.teamjdm.com
..............................................NO issues from day 1 !!

I will admit mine were quiet on day 1. One launch on Drag Radials solved that problem for me.

O well..

-Pierce

RLB01

Established Member
Changed the 3.31 to 3.73 on my 07. Got tired of the noise and went to 4.10. Still some noise but nothing like the 3.73...

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I will take the whine of the gears over the clunk of an '03-'04 diff any day.......

I think mine whine but its really not out of control imo

sorry, random thought :)

Users who are viewing this thread