1672044520853.jpeg

1672044533753.jpeg

1672044545596.jpeg

1672044556781.jpeg

1672044565688.jpeg

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Interesting, I had not heard about the foreigner property purchase restriction law.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
"We don't need another hero..."
Now officially in my head. Tina Turner...that woman knew how to put on a show.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
I wonder if we'll ever figure out how that was done or how the pyramids were built?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Space
Space

FollowView Profile

'Mind-boggling' alloy is Earth's toughest material, even at extreme temperatures​

Story by Robert Lea • 6h ago

Researchers have proven that a metallic alloy of chromium, cobalt and nickel is officially the toughest material on Earth — more than 100 times tougher than the wonder material graphene.
Microscopy images showing the path of a fracture and crystal structure deformation in a cobalt, chromium and nickel alloy during stress testing at -424 degrees F.
Microscopy images showing the path of a fracture and crystal structure deformation in a cobalt, chromium and nickel alloy during stress testing at -424 degrees F.© Robert Ritchie/Berkeley Lab

In a new study published Dec. 1 in the journal Science, researchers subjected the ultra-tough alloy to extremely cold temperatures, in order to test how fracture-resistant the material is. Scientists have known for years that this alloy is one tough cookie — however, to the team's surprise, the alloy only became tougher and more resistant to cracks as temperatures plummeted.

This super-resistance to fracture is in stark contrast to most materials, which only become more brittle in freezing temperatures, according to the study authors.
"People talk about the toughness of graphene, and that is measured at just 4 megapascals per meter," study co-author Robert Ritchie, a professor of engineering at the University of California Berkeley and senior faculty scientist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, told Live Science. "The toughness of aluminum alloys used in aircraft is 35 megapascals per meter. This material has a toughness of 450 to 500 megapascals per meter… these are mind-boggling numbers."

The potential applications of such a tough material range from space infrastructure to fracture-resistant containers for clean energy uses here on Earth. However, Ritchie noted, two of the alloy's three elements (nickel and cobalt) are prohibitively expensive, limiting the alloy's usefulness to the laboratory for the foreseeable future.

Users who are viewing this thread