Random revving

dlaude

Established Member
Just bought a '98 Cobra and randomly when it is in neutral, the car will rev up to 2k or 3k and anywhere in between. Normal driving is fine, but will rev occasionally, not all the time. It doesn't do it right when I start the car, just after some driving. It's a D&D T-56, not sure if that's pertinent. I'm thinking it's a sensor or something. It's stock under the hood. Thoughts?

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
Maybe pull your IAC off and clean it, make sure its not gummed up. Just asking but do you have a BBK throttle body? What you are saying is what happened to mine after the TB install.

dlaude

Established Member
Maybe pull your IAC off and clean it, make sure its not gummed up. Just asking but do you have a BBK throttle body? What you are saying is what happened to mine after the TB install.

I think it's the stock throttle body, but I'll check when I get home. Hmm, gotta google what an IAC is now haha. I'm not very knowledgeable lol.

dlaude

Established Member
Cool thanks guys. Should I try cleaning it or just buy a new one? I'm trying to find a how-to on it, but can't seem to find one. It does seem pretty straight forward though, even for someone with barely basic skills like myself. If buying a new one is recommended, should I buy OEM or is aftermarket okay?

Martin6107

Established Member
Buy a replacement and be done with it. Motorcraft parts are very hard to find in stock locally. I've had good luck with local part store products.

dlaude

Established Member
Buy a replacement and be done with it. Motorcraft parts are very hard to find in stock locally. I've had good luck with local part store products.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Cool, thanks. I'll hit up the local Advance then. The plus side about that is that I can return it if it doesn't fix it lol.

dlaude

Established Member
I noticed that if it is happening, if I put it in gear and floor it (in any gear), it temporarily fixes the issue. Throttle position sensor?

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
That's why I mentioned earlier in the thread about the BBK throttle body. My TPS is off a little bit and your problem seems similar to mine, because that throttle body has shit fitment. But its definitely worth a look.

Users who are viewing this thread