Random issue

13gt-uk

Established Member
alright everyone i am new here, just recently bought a 2013 GHIG 5.0 there is less then 1200 miles on her. but i have noticed a grinding noise in second at really low speeds between about 6 - 8 mph, and not all the time either, its pretty hit or miss on when it happens. ANY IDEAS??? also anyone else feel like 3rd gear is clunky?

13gt-uk

Established Member
yes i know how to drive a stick... i live in england and have to drive down some narrow roads with cars parked either side. so 2nd gear just happens to be what its in.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Couple of suggestions. The trans will likely loosen up a little as you get more miles on it (did on mine anyway). Would suggest swapping the factory trans fluid out for something a little better. I used Amsoil, but others (Redline, etc.) probably work equally as well. On my car this made a very noticeable difference in shift quality like the issues you described.

Third gear is a well know issue, particularly at the top of the RPM range. Most popular solution is to change out the stock shift bracket for something which flexes less (Barton, Steeda, etc.). Ford Racing makes a version of the Barton shifter and bracket if you are concerned about warranty issues. Otherwise the Barton and MGW shifters & bracket are the most common replacements and most people have positive reviews.

Bombk2

Established Member
I get a bad noise when I put my transmission into "R" racemode while at highway speeds, our issues may be related.

13gt-uk

Established Member
i was looking into swapping the shift bracket already, wasnt really sure if that was my most likely cause... guess i will be looking into ordering some new tranny fluid as well

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Try shifting @ 3000 rpm as opposed to 2000 rpm the synchros in this car like higher rpm shift points. Change your stock tranny fluid to preferably amsoil mtg 75-90 fluid makes a world of shifting difference. Also upgrade your stock shifter it's a piece of junk. MGW, or Barton , or Steeda triax. Take it from someone who's done this, it works!

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
3 quarts for transmission 2.75 for rear differential. if you change the rear diff get the extreme pressure gear oil it's the best!

13gt-uk

Established Member
and now all i have to do is try to order it and get it into the UK. if not it looks like i will be paying out the ass for it

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
2nd gear at 6mph? You got some learnin' to do. The MT-82 is not forgiving of noob shifting habits.

Users who are viewing this thread