random dying/running rough

SVT95

Established Member
Hey guys. It's been a while since I've been on here but thought this would be something to bring to the table. I am absolutely stumped on this. A few months back my car would randomly die while I was driving. The car immediately smelled of fuel. I went through the usual diagnostics, spark and fuel. I changed the distributor, spark plugs, and coil. Also, I had the ICM checked and it tested fine. After changing these it ran better but not perfect. Last night the random dying presented itself again. And once again, the car smelled horribly of fuel. I waited 10 min. and it started. Now with the running rough part; while it's driving it feels like the engine is being suffocated. It "chugs", hesitates, and is way under power. But once I go to WOT, the power is back and it pulls like it should. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

BTW, this is a 95 cobra.

SVT95

Established Member
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Fuel filter was changed about 1.5 years ago. I was actually planning on changing that this weekend.

Edit: I changed the fuel filter earlier today. The "chugging" problem is still present but not nearly as bad. I had the car randomly die on me once while it was idling but was fine when I was driving. I'm thinking maybe plug wires next? Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread