Ran with a new vette

Established Member
This was a few weeks ago when I was on my way to see Batman Begins(great movie).

I was on a 2 lane service road a ways behind a new Vette, it was the LS2 one. I have a 03 Cobra convertible. He was alone in his Vette, I had the top down, and 3 other guys in the car with me(2 in back were teens, other in front was 6'10, and he did not fit real well in car). So I am figuring that I have about me and 450-500 more pounds in car with me.

Anyhow, as we are heading south on the service road we are both in slow lane, passing cars that are in the fast lane. Some one turns on to the road right in front of the Vette forcing him to slow to about 30-40, then turns off on the last exit/entryway for the next 1-2 miles. When he slowed for the guy to turn off, I caught up to him and got right on his A$$, I think we were down to about 10mph, and I was down shifting as he took off, and he hit it hard. So I put it in to first and guned it. I dont think I gained much on him in first gear as he had a 6-7 car length head start on me, but by the time I was in the middle of 4th I was right up on his A$$ again. I let off at that point as I figure I was doing 100+ and I was not the only one in the car, besides I could not realy get any closer with out hitting him at that point.

I was a little suprised how fast I caught him, I thought they had more go than that. Not that I dont like them, I think its the best Vette made todate. I would own one if I did not have 2 little ones to put in the back seat of my car.

Anyhow, my mods are Open element air filter, magnaflow catback, and a power tower shifter. I dynoed 414/389 a year ago.

SVTCOBRAKID

Established Member
wow im suprised you pulled on him that hard, but hell, it could happen, i put about 2 cars on one from a roll, plus im a pretty bad driver so i guess its possible. anyways nice run.

BayouVette

Far Beyond Driven
Established Member
they need a few tweaks to the computer to wake them up from stock form.

Not that i'm trying to be the board police uptight dude, but you shouldn't be on peoples ass like that.. If something would have made him brake it couldn't have been a bad deal..

carry on .

RealQuick

Established Member
Sounds like he was in the wrong gear durig acceleration.You car probably makes 50 60rwhp more than him, but the weight difference was probably 1100-1200lbs (lets say the vette weighs 3300lb with driver and your car weighs 4400lbs with you and three other people). This means you would need atleast 100rwhp more than him to run even with him (due to all the weight you were slinging). All that said, you pulled 6 cars on him up to 100mph? That means you (including all the weight you had) that you must have around ~150-160rwhp more than him...this we know isnt true. Welcome to the world of the vette owner that doesnt race too hard and doesnt know how to race ;)

A C6 manual tranny is slightly slower than a ZO6...

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
He had a 6-7 car head start on you and by the middle of 4th you were on hit butt with only 414rwhp and 4200+lbs?

bunk22

Established Member
BayouVette said:
they need a few tweaks to the computer to wake them up from stock form.

I agree. Just had mine tuned and it was night and day. The Z51's will be the quickest.

Just a though, people may slow down when ahead. I wasn't necessarily racing a new 05 GT a month ago but he insisted on bothering me by riding my ass. I would accelerate well away from him, slow and he would fly right up on my ass. Obviously an 05 GT isn't in the same category as an 03/04 Cobra without serious mods but possible in this situation.

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
He had a 6-7 car head start on you and by the middle of 4th you were on hit butt with only 414rwhp and 4200+lbs?

I was prob still 1-2 cars back when I let off. I dont think he was in the wrong gear, as I was not gaining all that fast(I think it could have been a auto). I drove down that same road today, and figure it for just a little longer than a 1/4, mabe .3 to .4 of a mile. It was a hot summer day, and I had only driven mabe 5 miles to where I ran up on him.

U GOT BIT

U DONT WANT THE VENOM
Established Member
the new vettes are peice of sh$$s my sister had 2 0f them and they broke the 2 day she had them there junkie and slow and there a chevy i had plenty of friends that had corvettes until they seen cobras and thenn they got rid of them and they all have cobras now . corvettes suck a$$ . i say cobras all the way

Cobra4pt6

Banned
U GOT BIT said:
the new vettes are peice of sh$$s my sister had 2 0f them and they broke the 2 day she had them there junkie and slow and there a chevy i had plenty of friends that had corvettes until they seen cobras and thenn they got rid of them and they all have cobras now . corvettes suck a$$ . i say cobras all the way

power my friend is not everything. you'll learn that when you grow up. overall the corvette is better than a cobra. lets see, a vette has better ergonomics, better suspension, better aerodynamics, better braking, better lines, and better handling. a cobra has better engine, better seats, and more trunk space. on a final note, a vetter has more potential and it's lighter. :banana: it just cost more to soup up :mj:

magred

Established Member
RealQuick said:
Sounds like he was in the wrong gear durig acceleration.You car probably makes 50 60rwhp more than him, but the weight difference was probably 1100-1200lbs (lets say the vette weighs 3300lb with driver and your car weighs 4400lbs with you and three other people). This means you would need atleast 100rwhp more than him to run even with him (due to all the weight you were slinging). All that said, you pulled 6 cars on him up to 100mph? That means you (including all the weight you had) that you must have around ~150-160rwhp more than him...this we know isnt true. Welcome to the world of the vette owner that doesnt race too hard and doesnt know how to race ;)

A C6 manual tranny is slightly slower than a ZO6...

This sounds like the real reason. The C6 is just getting tuning available but that is more for the 1/4 type stuff. Top end it will still pull hard. They have a top speed of 186 so I'm willing to bet this guy had this guy ride up on his ass and he punched it to get some distance. When he had the distance he let off. I know I get sick and tired of damn cars always trying to ride my ass just to test their cars. It has gotten rediculous. I'm more inclined to pull over and kick someone's ass now when they ride on my ass. And the thing I hate the worst is the damn fool, with his hat turned sideways and with people in his car, who zigzag thru traffic like a fool and almost take your front bumper off cutting in front of you. I think we all know the type I'm talking about. Hey AVATARDT, have you noticed alot of that kind of crap in Dallas lately? It seems that with school out all of the kids in their Civics, Integras and crap are patrolling the damn highway. Anyway, good kill. One never knows what will happen on the road.

Cobra4pt6

Banned
U GOT BIT said:

if she bought 2 and they broke on day 2, i have good reason to believe it's your sisters fault they broke. she probably put disel fuel in the tank instead of supreme unleaded gasoline. or maybe she dosen't need a 6spd manual if she's gonna keep missing gears...

rmgtc01

Established Member
Cobra4pt6 said:
power my friend is not everything. you'll learn that when you grow up. overall the corvette is better than a cobra. lets see, a vette has better ergonomics, better suspension, better aerodynamics, better braking, better lines, and better handling. a cobra has better engine, better seats, and more trunk space. on a final note, a vetter has more potential and it's lighter. :banana: it just cost more to soup up :mj:

I agree up until the potential part. Both cars can be beasts. Oh, and don't forget bang for buck mods.

magred

Established Member
U GOT BIT said:

Unfortunately it is this type of reasoning and comeback that ruins car forums. I wish that people would have to pass some sort of literacy test before they post on boards. I wish there was someway that we could keep the teenagers off the damn sites dealing with cars.

bunk22

Established Member
U GOT BIT said:

So she had two huh, back to back? What versions were they? How much? When did she get them? They both broke the second day of ownership as well? Sure they did. I frankly don't believe you. At the very least I think you're exaggerating quite a bit here. For comparison though, my C6 has been great while my 03 Cobra tended to stall quite a bit when stock. Paint easily chipped on my Cobra as well. Still loved my Cobra but in my experience, the C6 is better quality, period.

Flooznie

Nuclear Reactor Operator
Established Member
it is a true statement that the z51 vettes are the quickest C6s to date. Instead of the Z51, I went with an F55, since I really liked having an adjustable suspension for commuting to work and driving places with. I tracked my C6 with 150 miles on the odometer. My best 1/4 time with my 2004 A4 2:73 C5 was 13.66 @ 104 mph. With the barely broken in engine on the 2005 A4 2:73 C6, I turned 13.43 @ 107 mph. Difference? Some, its there, but the car is NIGHT and DAY more refined than the C5 is. A lot quieter, handles better, brakes better, and accelerates slightly better as shown.

As far as the Vettes are shit poster, please use proper English before you criticize a car you know absolutely nothing about. It makes you sound more intelligent.

Paul

ViperKillr

Established Member
Hey, not all teenagers are inmature idiots on these forums, I can bet u there are many teenagers on these forums that post just like everyone else but theres always those 1 or 2 that ruin it for all the rest....

97snake

Attorney at Law
Established Member
My dad's C6 (non Z51) is just broken in and put down 348/353 in bone stock trim when we dyno'd it... not bad for an auto w/ the optional gear ratio form the factory.

I woulda thought that with the weight difference you would not have caught him.
Personally, my car runs 107mph in the 1/4 and my dad's vette leaves me like im standing still after 60-70 mph.

Camaroguy22

Slow LT1 Driver
Established Member
U GOT BIT said:

Shut up. Your new handle will read "U GOT BANNED" if you keep it up dumbass :xpl:

Camaroguy22

Slow LT1 Driver
Established Member
bunk22 said:
So she had two huh, back to back? What versions were they? How much? When did she get them? They both broke the second day of ownership as well? Sure they did. I frankly don't believe you. At the very least I think you're exaggerating quite a bit here. For comparison though, my C6 has been great while my 03 Cobra tended to stall quite a bit when stock. Paint easily chipped on my Cobra as well. Still loved my Cobra but in my experience, the C6 is better quality, period.

You just saved me some time having to write up almost exactly what you said. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread