Ran my 01 Cobra

SnakeinMD

New Cobra hopefully soon!
Established Member
Finally got to run my 01 Cobra last night at Cecil County Dragway in Maryland. Here are the results.

My best run was a 13.69 @ 105.32 MPH. My 60 ft was a 2.33 with an 8.98 1/8th mi @ 82.33.

I know there is more left here, I just need to learn how to launch the damn car!!! Grrr... I don't want to have to switch to Drag Radials but I may have to to get the launch down. I want to break into the 13.4's with the current set-up I have. I just need to keep practicing. It is possible but I need to get my ass working on that first half of the track because I am making up most of my time in the second half.

Also my good ole BBK intake decided to take a shit on me during my final run tonight. I was running and the car started acting funny STALLED right at the end of the run! With no power steering or brakes I had to start the car ASAP then stop before flying through the cones at the end! LOL. Well after that had a really rough idle coming back in to the pits. I opened the hood to investigate and saw that my rubber piece connecting the Intake to the throttle body had somehow managed to rip apart and I was sucking in unmetered air like it was cool. I had to limp my poor Cobra to my friends house in Belair and used Electrical tape (all he had) to ghetto rig my tubing back together to get home ! Damn I was pissed. and on top of all that my buddy runs a 91 Formula Firebird so I had to hear him rag on Fords being "Fix or repair daily" the entire time I was making my ghetto tube!

Joe

Here is a copy of the timeslip:

Timeslip07Sept05.jpg

Last edited:

Swole

Im Swole
Established Member
hmm thats not too bad i suppose, arent our cars suppose to be somwhere around 13.5's stock i thought? its ok though i mean i honestly can't launch for crap either and im not the best driver but thats awesome that you went to the track to get some times.

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
Damn man the 60/ft is killing you. I ran better then that on 215 all season tires with a open diff. when i had the v6. What tires are you running?

SnakeinMD

Established Member
97Stangv6 said:
Damn man the 60/ft is killing you. I ran better then that on 215 all season tires with a open diff. when i had the v6. What tires are you running?

I was using BF Goodrich KDWS (all season) Stock 3.27 rear! What was your MPH though when you ran that V6??? Doubt it was 105. See I am putting down the power, just can't get it down to the ground! grrrr....

Yes, I think the 4.10's and a little beefier suspension setup with Drag radials and a good launch will get me closer to the 12's. That is my plan. I just need to get some funds together! lol

Joe

Last edited:

Quick VR4

Established Member
don't get gears. i hate how all these guys get gears and hten they kill their top end. just get some DRs. Do all the recalls on your car. yeah but 2.33 60ft is what is killing you. if u can drop that down to a 2.0 then u are def good for 13 flat or high 12s.

SnakeinMD

Established Member
Quick VR4 said:
don't get gears. i hate how all these guys get gears and hten they kill their top end. just get some DRs. Do all the recalls on your car. yeah but 2.33 60ft is what is killing you. if u can drop that down to a 2.0 then u are def good for 13 flat or high 12s.

Yes, I am not too worried about top end. I had gears in my GT and it was no problem. I plan on staying naturally aspirated for awhile so gears will be good for now. I will jujst swap them out when I go Forced Induction.

Also there are no recalls for my vehicle??? What are you reffering to? Nice VR4 by the way.

Thanks Bud!!!

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
Jesus christ bro ,your 60' is killing yoru times. Even if you could get that 60 down to a average 2.0, you woudl be knockign on the 12';s. With some nice Tires, your in the 12's for sure.

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
SnakeinMD said:
Yes, I am not too worried about top end. I had gears in my GT and it was no problem. I plan on staying naturally aspirated for awhile so gears will be good for now. I will jujst swap them out when I go Forced Induction.

Also there are no recalls for my vehicle??? What are you reffering to? Nice VR4 by the way.

Thanks Bud!!!

Yes get the 4.10s Ive heard gears are the best mod for the n/a cobras.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
Quick VR4 said:

You sir are a moron. Stick to your rice ride. Thats funny how gears limit you top end, I can do 150+ w/ my 4.30's.

If you dont know what your talking about then shut up. :rollseyes

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
SnakeinMD said:
I was using BF Goodrich KDWS (all season) Stock 3.27 rear! What was your MPH though when you ran that V6??? Doubt it was 105. See I am putting down the power, just can't get it down to the ground! grrrr....

Yes, I think the 4.10's and a little beefier suspension setup with Drag radials and a good launch will get me closer to the 12's. That is my plan. I just need to get some funds together! lol

Joe

Its was a 1/8 mile run. And yeah it was no where near 105. I'm just talking about the 60ft.

I cant wait to get the car to the track the way it is now though. I think i'll be in the high 12s if not knocking on the door real hard. The only thing that will hold me back is my messed up 3rd. I cant powershift it because of the problem(Bent shifter fork most likely).

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Quick VR4 said:

Kill the top end? Have you ever driven a N/A Cobra? That's all we have. What recalls? WTF are you talking about? Its not a 99 so he doesn't have to worry about THE recall.

seriously.

Stick with what ya know please. :loser:

SVECobraR

Established Member
Do you guys all powershift to get these times, cause i've never powershifted my own car, i feel it does more harm to it than good, as in its not worth the extra couple of tenths to me.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
IF you can do it right its worth it. I've reduced my times by 2 tenths or so by doing it.

Just dont' miss a gear. You've got a rev limiter to catch it though.

SnakeinMD

Established Member
SVECobraR said:
Do you guys all powershift to get these times, cause i've never powershifted my own car, i feel it does more harm to it than good, as in its not worth the extra couple of tenths to me.

I did not powershift during my run. I am sure I could have pulled a little more out of her if I would have. I think next time I will. I just wanted to get a good feel for how she launches and runs. I am so used to launching a built solid axle rear end so this is just a different beast. Damn thing wheels hops like my SRT-4 did.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
wow, nice times. the 60 ft is whats got ya. get it down to 2.0 and youll be right at a 13.0 or 13.1. I hope to see a 13.0 when I hit the track once the mods in the sig are on,minus the blower and trans:)

Quick VR4

Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
Kill the top end? Have you ever driven a N/A Cobra? That's all we have. What recalls? WTF are you talking about? Its not a 99 so he doesn't have to worry about THE recall.

seriously.

Stick with what ya know please. :loser:
oops i am getting 99 and 2001 mixed up. sorry my bad. yah the 01 cobra has good top end. why would u get rid of that?

I don't know i am jsut not a fan of gears. Cause when ever i race my buddies with Gts and mach1s. they can' go any faster then like 140. and also once htey put gears in, there cars are even harder to launch without spinning like crazy. i just don't get it. i would think u should keep same gearing and get more hp instead. correct me if i am wrong.

Last edited:

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
Quick VR4 said:
oops i am getting 99 and 2001 mixed up. sorry my bad. yah the 01 cobra has good top end. why would u get rid of that?

I don't know i am jsut not a fan of gears. Cause when ever i race my buddies with Gts and mach1s. they can' go any faster then like 140. and also once htey put gears in, there cars are even harder to launch without spinning like crazy. i just don't get it. i would think u should keep same gearing and get more hp instead. correct me if i am wrong.

Gt's and mach's should be able to pull past 140 no problem with gears. Stock gears are TALL, and gears make a big jump, but it's still tolerable.

Cruising in 5th gear at 70, would put a stock 99 CObra at around 1800 rpm, but with 3:73's, or even 4:10's it would be around 2500-2700 rpm.

Gears are a great way to improve acceleration. It's like adding hp but not, you just get to peak hp quicker, therefore making your car faster..

Traction does become a issue though....That's why if your gonna run gears in your Stang, some nice Dr's are a must. My theory is that every mod you do to a car, has a coresponding mod that will work in harmony, making your car much faster.

Last edited:

LT1KILLER

dirt man
Established Member
a stock GT or Mach isn't going to pull a whole lot farther than 140 with stock gears anyway because of drag and I have read that adding gears to the NA cobras actually ups your top speed because they will pull in fifth harder.

Users who are viewing this thread