Ran an M6 vert

ncarter124

Established Member
Not a great story but I'll share anyway.

I was cruising along in the middle lane (3 lanes total) minding my own business when I see a set of HID halo's coming up from behind, zig-zagging through traffic, driving like an ass basically. Seconds later the guy flies by me in what I thought was an M6. It's a 55mph zone and I am just cruising along doing about 60... he had to be pushing 80 when he went by me. We come to light #1 and I slowly creep up to make sure I am dealing with an M6 and not a 6-series because it was pretty dark and I couldn't really make out much detail but I finally spotted the M on the trunk. Light turns green and I ignore the guy, he takes off. He runs it up to I am guessing 75 or so (again, this is a 55), then gets caught at the next light, this time I decide I am game.

Sadly this was a dead heat. Right as I was slowing down the light turned green so I stayed in 2nd gear, waited for him to get even and we both nailed it. I am guessing we started at about a 20mph roll and we ran exactly even until 80mph then I shut down just because I didn't really feel like going to jail tonight. I have a feeling he would have started walking me had we been on an interstate and had been going faster than 80.

Like I said not an exciting story, but it was refreshing that I could hang with one when my car is bone stock and costs 1/3 as much.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Good looking 5.0 man.... and yeah- freeway would have been ugly for you. They are absolute monsters up top. Not unbeatable though by any means. Good run.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Good run.

M6s have very similar 1/4 mile as the 5.0. Grab a tune and a few bolt ons and a roll race would be interesting even over 100.

:thumbsup:

ncarter124

Established Member
Good looking 5.0 man.... and yeah- freeway would have been ugly for you. They are absolute monsters up top. Not unbeatable though by any means. Good run.

Thanks! I'm sure it would have been, I honestly raced him fully expecting to lose and was more-or-less just curious how badly it would destroy me... I was stunned when it didn't walk away from me.

Good run.

M6s have very similar 1/4 mile as the 5.0. Grab a tune and a few bolt ons and a roll race would be interesting even over 100.

:thumbsup:

I agree, but sadly I will never tune this car due to the cylinder #8 issue, it will be 100% stock until the day I sell it.

I was hoping to talk to him afterwards but right as I came up to my turn the light went green and he sped off. Would have loved to done a few more runs with it just to see what the differences were. At any rate it was a kick ass car for sure... but it had better be for that kind of money, those things cost more than a GT-R.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Nice run......what is this cylinder 8 issue I keep hearing about?

The number 8 issue is a blown engine caused by #8 failing. Pretty serious deal BUT is it common? Termi's had engine ticks but I never thought it was common, almost 90% of the Cobras are P.I.E and I hardly see problems for them.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
The number 8 issue is a blown engine caused by #8 failing. Pretty serious deal BUT is it common? Termi's had engine ticks but I never thought it was common, almost 90% of the Cobras are P.I.E and I hardly see problems for them.

Sounds like something Ford would cover under warranty anyway as long as the car was returned to stock before taken to them. Its not the same as the #8 melt down that cobras would have due to lack of cooling is it?

ncarter124

Established Member
Uh, it's best to Google it but basically if you tune a 5.0 it is very common for them to literally destroy the #8 cylinder. Nobody is 100% sure why but we suspect the tunes are too aggressive, and no Ford does not cover it under warranty. I would say it is common enough to make me regret buying the car in the first place. I have never had so much regret in a vehicle purchase in my life honestly.

Example
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/770776-engine-carnage-8-5l-kryponite.html

I don't care what anyone says, I don't believe the Coyote is a good motor, so right now the plan is to keep it for (I hope) no more than a year or two and then trade it off on a BMW M3.

Last edited:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Uh, it's best to Google it but basically if you tune a 5.0 it is very common for them to literally destroy the #8 cylinder. Nobody is 100% sure why but we suspect the tunes are too aggressive, and no Ford does not cover it under warranty. I would say it is common enough to make me regret buying the car in the first place. I have never had so much regret in a vehicle purchase in my life honestly.

Example
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/770776-engine-carnage-8-5l-kryponite.html

I don't care what anyone says, I don't believe the Coyote is a good motor, so right now the plan is to keep it for (I hope) no more than a year or two and then trade it off on a BMW M3.

I say either bad tuners or bad sensors.....You'll likely be upside down after a year...sell it now.

Plenty of people looking for a discounted 5.0...

ncarter124

Established Member
I say either bad tuners or bad sensors.....You'll likely be upside down after a year...sell it now.

Plenty of people looking for a discounted 5.0...

Yeah most likely bad tuners.

Eh, I put down 7 grand so I won't be in that bad of shape. I'll see what happens.

ncarter124

Established Member
great story and nice ride dude, but we get it with the price difference. lol. Who cares?

What are you talking about? I just stated it a whopping two times because (as I initially stated) I was surprised I stayed with it. That was all.
And no, it is not a nice ride, not compared to your Z06 man. I want one of those things BAAD. :)

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Sounds like something Ford would cover under warranty anyway as long as the car was returned to stock before taken to them. Its not the same as the #8 melt down that cobras would have due to lack of cooling is it?
Pretty much as Ncarter said. The tunes are just too aggressive. Kind of disappointing really but then again something had to be wrong with the car. The car was almost too good to be true :p No warranty either EVEN if you put the car back to stock.

What are you talking about? I just stated it a whopping two times because (as I initially stated) I was surprised I stayed with it. That was all.
And no, it is not a nice ride, not compared to your Z06 man. I want one of those things BAAD. :)
Its not only meant to be fast off the line, its a whole different type of car and class that's happened to be pretty fast also. That's like comparing a Rolls Royce or Bentley GT and calling it a garbage car because it lacks speed and handling for its price. Remember also, the BMW has to be on M-Mode in order to achieve the 500hp so you may have or not raced it in its true potential. 5.0 is a great car, not everyone buys it to tune it, the Coyote engine is a great engine too! Its not perfect but definitely a great achievement for Ford.

ncarter124

Established Member
Pretty much as Ncarter said. The tunes are just too aggressive. Kind of disappointing really but then again something had to be wrong with the car. The car was almost too good to be true :p No warranty either EVEN if you put the car back to stock.

Its not only meant to be fast off the line, its a whole different type of car and class that's happened to be pretty fast also. That's like comparing a Rolls Royce or Bentley GT and calling it a garbage car because it lacks speed and handling for its price. Remember also, the BMW has to be on M-Mode in order to achieve the 500hp so you may have or not raced it in its true potential. 5.0 is a great car, not everyone buys it to tune it, the Coyote engine is a great engine too! Its not perfect but definitely a great achievement for Ford.

Yup as stated above, even if you go back to stock, no dice on the warranty.
I guarantee you what happened is the tuners got into a HP war and their tunes are just too much for the engine, not Ford's fault per se, just sucks that I now have a car that I am absolutely terrified to even put a friggin cat-back on. Oh well.

And for the 2nd half, I just really want a Z06, I just know that when one pulls up next to me it looks like I am driving a Focus in comparison lol.It's low, wide and looks badass, while the Mustang looks tall, narrow and pretty lame compared to the Vette. But that's why I am going back to school, so I can afford toys like that and not the Mustang.

Last edited:

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
But that's why I am going back to school, so I can afford toys like that and not the Mustang.

Not that the Z06 isn't bad ass (it really is) but too me its more fun to "build" something than buy something and keep it stock.

Not saying you can't modify a Z06 you obviously can but what do you think would be different about modding the Z and if something popped not having warranty...

Any car I get I plan to make even faster and not keep stock so its more fun to me to start with something like the 5.0 that has lots of potential but still makes people say "DAMN" when it performs well above what it should.

A Z06 smoking something else super fast is pretty normal :D

I guess I can understand being nervous about modding the 5.0 but there really have been very few verified #8s. If you get a safe tune from a tuner that isn't trying to take chances for a few more ponies there is no reason to be worried.

If my motor pops and I have no warranty I'll just forge and strap the blower on a little earlier than planned. :shrug:

ncarter124

Established Member
Not that the Z06 isn't bad ass (it really is) but too me its more fun to "build" something than buy something and keep it stock.

Not saying you can't modify a Z06 you obviously can but what do you think would be different about modding the Z and if something popped not having warranty...

Any car I get I plan to make even faster and not keep stock so its more fun to me to start with something like the 5.0 that has lots of potential but still makes people say "DAMN" when it performs well above what it should.

A Z06 smoking something else super fast is pretty normal :D

I guess I can understand being nervous about modding the 5.0 but there really have been very few verified #8s. If you get a safe tune from a tuner that isn't trying to take chances for a few more ponies there is no reason to be worried.

If my motor pops and I have no warranty I'll just forge and strap the blower on a little earlier than planned. :shrug:

Yeah, I agree with all of this, but the fact is I can't afford to blow several thousand dollars if the motor blows. The risk is in no way worth it to me. Yes, I would love to mod this car but the fact is I have a laundry list of issues with it in stock form, I could not imagine this car if it was modded... it would be an absolute basket case at best. I'd rather leave it stock, keep my much-needed warranty (been to the shop once, need to go back at least two more times, that or let them keep it for a week) and be able to sleep at night lol.

Just for grins, here is one of about six issues I have going on with the car at any given time. I need to get off my lazy a** and take it back to the dealership again but I will be honest, I just quit caring at this point.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmR3zc7l2_s"]2012 Mustang 5.0 stammering on warm start - YouTube[/nomedia]

Last edited:

NA_Cobra

Established Member
This is the first I'm hearing of the 5.0s #8 cylinder issue. I think it would help to run a larger injector on #8. Also the OP was more than likely running the M6 in the 400hp mode.

ncarter124

Established Member
This is the first I'm hearing of the 5.0s #8 cylinder issue. I think it would help to run a larger injector on #8. Also the OP was more than likely running the M6 in the 400hp mode.

Yeah if you Google it there are many cases.

While that is possible, bear in mind the car has equal torque, 80ish more hp and weighs about 600lbs more. That 600lbs would negate the HP advantage.
The vert has a 0-60 of 4.6, identical to the Mustang, and that is the basic speed range we raced in. I am a firm believer he would have walked me past 100 but I am also a firm believer he was in 500hp mode based on road tests and performance data of both cars.

Last edited:

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Dang that sucks...my only complaint I've got of my '12 5.0 so far is the stock rear tires being too narrow.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread