Ran a very modded Formula last night

SAcobra427

Established Member
Does anybody know of a Pontiac Formula (about a 2000-2001) that would have a WS396 emblem on the lower right rear bumper?? It looked like it could be an emblem some tuner would put on ?? We went from about a 20 mph roll and it was almost as if we were tied together I started to pull him ever so slightly (even with bumping off the rev limiter a little in3rd) and ran up to about 135 before he got off it. He was not to happy I stayed up with him I could tell. His car was very loud (I had the top down and could not hardly hear my car) and had what must have been the same size tires you see on a Viper in the rear. I don't know what it was but it appeared to be way nastier than my '03. Oh I do have the new K&N Aircharger an FR500 cat back and a 3.2 pulley, but thats it. Anybody know what this guy had ??

Vanride69

west bound and down
Established Member
good kill dude! 3.2 pulley eh? how much power you puttin down? That guy should have around 420-460 RWHP minimum in the Formula if it is a 396, although I've never of that specific one before. Anyone who goes to a 396 is gonna have his shit built up, besides the fact that you cannot buy a low hp 396, and it is gonna have lots of other mods, so im guessing he might be closer to 500 RWHP. I'd have to say, GREAT KILL DUDE!!! kill 'em all!

SAcobra427

Established Member
I am going to the dyno this tues night as a matter of fact, I'll let you know how she does. I am also getting an A/F ratio done to see how it looks with the 3.2 pulley and no chip

ADR

Greased Lightning
Established Member
Good Kill, I sware on the road and at the Dyno shop I hear alot of intimidating sounding cars, Mustangs, Formulas, WS6's, but It doesn't always mean anything, I mean I've waited for my pull at Dyno Days and they pull a car up sounding like a dam dragster, I'm like man this guys going to blow me away, HP numbers pop up, huh, no where near my car, same for racing, I use to get imtimidated by cars sounding mean, but I would still run them and always hand them there ass, not to say its not cars out there the talk the talk and walk the walk, sorry I went off, just my observation, good kill :beer:

Last edited:

Stewart

Worldwide panhandler
Established Member
Unfortunately our FBodies are becoming like the old 5.0s. Everywhere and they all sound good but you never know whats under the hood.

Nice kill.

If he has a stroker he needs to get rid of the sticker.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Nice kill. I doubt it was a 396cid LS1 though. I don't think they even make them in 396 displacements. If it WAS a 396, he should shoot the car right now and put it out of it's misery.

Vanride69

west bound and down
Established Member
Originally posted by unit213
I've never heard of a 396ci LS1.

who ever said it was an LS-1?? He just said it had a badge that hinted at it having a 396. I have seen 600 horse 396's that were N/A before. Its called a CONVERSION......lol. Just because it came with an LS-1 doesnt mean it still has one in it. I have a buddy with a damn stationwagon that has a Corvette LS-1 and a Corvette non-elec auto trans.

03cobratech

Established Member
For the most part i agree with the guys stating that if he had a stroker LS1, it "should" have had enough power to pull away from your mild modded vert.. However on the street you never know what you're giong to run into who's to say he doesnt have some poorly tuned combo that makes 20more rwhp than a stock LS1??? I've seen plenty of poor running cars... So nice kill....

Dave

SAcobra427

Established Member
OK I have a lot of new info about my run with the Formula. After going to a car show this past Sun with my '67 I found a friend of mine who knows the guy with the Formula, it turns out it is a 396 stroker motor built by some big name guy from the New York area (my friend could not remember his name but said he remembers the motor had a plaque on the one valve cover stating this guy built the motor) It was also an automatic. I also had my car to the dyno yesterday (PSI Motorsports in Slateington Pa) and pulled a best of 468rwhp and 429 ft /lbs torque

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Originally posted by SAcobra427
OK I have a lot of new info about my run with the Formula. After going to a car show this past Sun with my '67 I found a friend of mine who knows the guy with the Formula, it turns out it is a 396 stroker motor built by some big name guy from the New York area (my friend could not remember his name but said he remembers the motor had a plaque on the one valve cover stating this guy built the motor) It was also an automatic. I also had my car to the dyno yesterday (PSI Motorsports in Slateington Pa) and pulled a best of 468rwhp and 429 ft /lbs torque

So it was an LT1 car? If so, I can see you beating him like that. My LT1 396 put down 449/449. Nice kill!

CobraDOHC

12 Second Z
Established Member
For the most part 396 LT1's are built for boost, maybe he built the motor and hasn't got the money for the blower yet?? I'm not saying all 396's are built up for boost, but most are.....If it was a 396 running no boost I would say it is in the low 400 RWHP range......But there are some that are built planning to stay N/A and they can put down around 500 RWHP to the ground......

I also don't believe you can to 396ci in a LS1 It is 385 or 421 i think...??

Either way nice kill man!

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
There are many different displacements you can take the LS1 to. All bores and strokers, from 370cid up to 427cid and beyond. Someone is working on a 460+cid LS1. However 396 isn't one of them. My 396 was built for spray. High compression, but with stock heads and intake. With a set of AFR 220 heads and a port matched LT4 intake, and a little bigger cam, I could have easily put down 500rwhp.

bad bike

Established Member
they make a 442 ci ls1
he could have been spinning worse than you. but any way nice kill.

Users who are viewing this thread