Ran a new C6 Corvette Convertible

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
I've never street raced my car before, but encountered a really nice blue C6 Corvette vert driving to Sonic with my wife today. It was being driven by a couple younger guys that didn't seem too interested. To keep it short, I got next to them in 3rd at about 60 mph on the interstate and was getting ready to honk it off if they were willing. They took off as soon as I got up beside them so I hit it and immediatedly stopped their pull and passed them. I took it up into 4th gear and they were 5 or 6 cars back by the time I let off. I got off at the next exit (to go to Sonic) and they exited with me. They pulled up to me at the stoplight and we exchanged compliments. They wanted to know what size pulley I was running so they obviously knew a little about 03/04 cobras. Didn't catch any info on their car due to a green light, but I'm pretty sure it was stock. Pretty cool guys. Anyway, I was happy with my first and probably only kill. Now the wifey finally believes me that my car isn't a slow POS.:banana:

PLATIADO

Established Member
Wow he got the jump, and then you pulled 5-6 cars on him. Either you're car is very fast or he couldn't drive. To beat a new vette by 5-6 cars is very respectable.

StangJason

Established Member
Wow he got the jump, and then you pulled 5-6 cars on him. Either you're car is very fast or he couldn't drive. To beat a new vette by 5-6 cars is very respectable.

May be the cool air and from a roll you never know because the other guy probably didn't drop to a low enough gear.

04mellowyellow

Ford Nut
Established Member
Nice kill. If I did something like that with my wife in the truck I would have gotten an ear full.

Last edited:

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
I really wasn't expecting to pull that hard. It was in the 60's here yesterday so the temps were cool and I was in a pretty sweet spot being in 3rd gear at about 60mph though he'd have the aero advantage at those speeds. Maybe he didn't downshift enough? I had just filled up with gas and had a car battery booster and some tools in the trunk so I was full weight. We both had passengers, though my 110 lbs wife may count as only 1/2. He definitely got the hit, but I was ready for him so I was able to stop it pretty quickly. Anyway, it was fun and I'd love to have a C6 in my garage too.

RED2003COBRA

Established Member

I stopped his pull pretty quickly, but was surprised as well by the outcome. My car runs well, but I didn't think it was out of the norm for a pullied cobra. The Vette guys were surprised that I only have a 2.93 upper pulley. I kind of wonder if he didn't downshift enough. Oh well.

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Ada boy.
Soon your wife will start instigating ‘street antics’ like mine..:D

amxguy1970

Established Member
stock non-c6s are Slow to my 11.6 and the stock C6 Z06 would whoop me, let alone a ZR1 make me cry for mommy..then again cammed bolt on C5 Z06s make me re-think owning a mustang :)

Fixed for ya!

I think your 11.6 time doesn't qualify for calling a cammed C5 Z06's slow let alone "all" C6's...

Good kill OP, but don't think a beating like that is common. It should be closer to a couple of cars depending on the model. Sounds like maybe you ran a 4 speed auto LS2 version?

Tyler

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Fixed for ya!

I think your 11.6 time doesn't qualify for calling a cammed C5 Z06's slow let alone "all" C6's...

Good kill OP, but don't think a beating like that is common. It should be closer to a couple of cars depending on the model. Sounds like maybe you ran a 4 speed auto LS2 version?

Tyler

x2... Stock C5 Z06s have only run high 11s at ~118mph... a cammed C5Z would be more than a enough to play with someone running 11.6 pending it has a driver mod.

F8l Vnm

Established Member
Great kill..
As everyone says on the street anything is possible...
But for just a 2.90 pully 5-6 cars in one gear is alot of cars,,,

bunk22

Established Member
No one said that it cant happen cause I know for a fact he would win , its just 5-6 cars in ONE gear sounded like alot ...

Sure, the dude's not ready, shifts into the wrong gear, an A4 and slow to get on it, etc. But all else being equal, the pullied Cobra wins. I've got an LS2 C6 mn6 Z51 option and had an 03 Cobra that went through the gambit of mods.

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
No one said that it cant happen cause I know for a fact he would win , its just 5-6 cars in ONE gear sounded like alot ...

Thanks for the responses guys. I probably need to clarify that I ran it into 4th gear a ways so it wasn't just a one gear pull. He also definitley had the hit since I went immediately after he hit it. Maybe he was in the wrong gear when he punched it. I don't know. I was suprised by the outcome myself. I'm still happy with the win.

Users who are viewing this thread