Ran a Dakota 5.9 R/T

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
Left the house and when I got on 460 there was a black 5.9 R/T coming up behind me at about 65. I got up to speed and he stayed behind for 2 or 3 miles. When he finally passed me he blipped it a little (Im guessing it was an auto). We messed with each other for a few more miles until we came to the only light on this particular highway in my town. It was free and clear in both directions and lanes, even the turning lane.

At first I intended on hanging a left at the light but when he jumped in the right lane at the last second I got over to the left lane and we might have been at the light for 2 seconds before it went green. I wasnt sure if he was gonna go but after I had got to 10 in 1st I could tell he was on it so I stuck it, grabbed 2nd and pulled to 3rd at which point I had maybe a car length on him. We didnt even get to 60 miles an hour but Im sure it wouldve only gotten worse, so I slowed down and made the next turnaround. :lol: I dont know what these trucks have from the factory but it was not stock from what I heard. A CAI and exhaust were both pretty audible. It was an extended cab truck that appeared to be lowered.

I was not impressed, for some reason I almost thought I was gonna lose :rollseyes

Last edited:

281cubes

Wish I Had an SVT
Nice kill. Friend of mine had one back in high school. They're not bad for a truck, but my buddy and I took him down pretty handily in his '01 GT. Certainly no match for even a stock Cobra.:thumbsup:

WVUAnt

Lets Go!!.....
Established Member
Nice kill. In stock form those trucks don't have enough snots to wear the R/T name, IMO.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
they are turds in stock form, like serious turds. I read somewhere the extended cabs only ran 15.9 in the 1320. And that was dodges performance truck for them years HAHA. They all come in auto, now a 5 spd one would have been somewhat fun.

03blklightning

INTERCEPTOR
Established Member
I always have them jacking with me. I guess they feel they can hang with an L since their truck says r/t. Never raced a modded one, but took on a stock one and put bus apon bus lengths on him.

silver diver

Established Member
They can be pretty quick when modded. My friend has a '96 regular cab with Edelbrock heads, a cam, chip, headers & exhaust and he has run 13.3@105 on street tires. Not bad for a N/A truck if you ask me.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
this guy down here claims he is trapping around 100mph, what would that put him at in that truck? Im thinking of running him, btw i ran 13.91 with just midpipe and catbacks on street tires with a 2.2 60' now i have a few more mods that should hopefully put me around 13.70

EDIT sorry he has a 2000 or 2001 extended cab r/t cammed etc.

Last edited:

R1Lello

Established Member
The supercab R/T's are 44oo lb turds with nothing more than a truck engine..........there is nothing deserving of that R/T badge just as someone above mentioned. I had one with exhaust, Gibson headers, K&N FIPK, and a custom B&G 93 octane tune...........better but still slow. Add a supercharger and they blow head gaskets. I had one but it was disappointing if you thought you had a performance truck..............so I SOLD it!! Want a performance truck, buy a Lightning!!!

Skrapmetal

Established Member
03blklightning said:
I always have them jacking with me. I guess they feel they can hang with an L since their truck says r/t. Never raced a modded one, but took on a stock one and put bus apon bus lengths on him.

Ditto. There's an old man around here that drives one and always tries to get me to go. I took him embarassingly between stoplights once and I've just ignored him the couple times I've seen him since... not worth a ticket. All of the others I've seen eyeball me but have never tries to run.

03CobraBro

Established Member
They'll run high 14's if you can drive em... stock (Thats in real life, not in magazine land). That's 94/98 GT territory.

They aren't much from the factory but the 360 is a great platform for modifying and they have a shit load of low end torque. Its not too hard to get em into the 13's.

They sit an inch lower than a regular Dakota and they are very nimble trucks (more than just an engine) and the Club Cabs weigh 4100lbs not 4400lbs. They're supposed to be the best handling sport truck to date if that means anything. (Thats the excuse I always here the guys with slower cars using against Mustang owners so I figured what the hell.)

Unfortunatly most of em in my area have the crap beaten out of em and probably run slower now than what they did stock.

They're nice vehicles and honestly I get more looks in my R/T than I do in my Cobra.

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
R1Lello said:
Add a supercharger and they blow head gaskets.

It sounds like you didn't know what you were doing based on this statement. Thats fine... That's why Ford builds vehicles for people like you and I that come from the factory with blowers so we dont have to deal with the intracasies of re-enforcing a boosted motor. :p

R1Lello

Established Member
03CobraBro said:
It sounds like you didn't know what you were doing based on this statement. Thats fine... That's why Ford builds vehicles for people like you and I that come from the factory with blowers so we dont have to deal with the intracasies of re-enforcing a boosted motor. :p

Nice try but no...........I didn't bother after researching and talking to many of forum boards and reading of others who have installed superchargers..........then I said 'what's the point'. that and Cryco are the worst to break into the pcm.........if you want a machine to mod, then Ford or Chevy only.
I do agree with your last point........if it comes from the factory boosted, then in most cases it's built to take it and more.

Last edited:

bad360rt

slo truk
Established Member
WyoTechMSA said:
I was not impressed, for some reason I almost thought I was gonna lose :rollseyes
Good kill, but watch out for the red one that whistles ;-)

As for all the other comments, I'll just say this, with the right setup, the 360 can kick some serious butt. It's not uncommon for R/T's to be running 12's all motor these days. Not too shabby for a 4K+lb truck. The aftermarket has been slow, and there's really not that many people modding these trucks (at least seriously), so it's taken a while, but they're coming around. :thumbsup:

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
i had a dakota with the 5.2 and always did like the look of the R/T. I honestly wouldnt mind owning one for a DD to commute in. I wouldnt get an extended cab though, single cab only

Biggieman

03-04 parts for sale
Established Member
correct me if i am wrong but the older dakotas were also available with a smaller V8 (not sure of the displacement)
this smaller V8 could be combined with the 5 speed and a tow package (which consisted of 3.90s or 4.10s) and you had a pretty quick little truck.....

bad360rt

slo truk
Established Member
Biggieman said:
correct me if i am wrong but the older dakotas were also available with a smaller V8 (not sure of the displacement)
this smaller V8 could be combined with the 5 speed and a tow package (which consisted of 3.90s or 4.10s) and you had a pretty quick little truck.....
Yup, the GenII Dakotas are lighter and were available with the 5.2, five speed and 3.92's, pretty sweet combo. There's some fast GenII's out there.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
Biggieman said:

I had a 97 dodge dakota with the 5.2 v8 single cab and my friend had a 98 dakota with the 5.2 v8 5 spd. We both had the 3.92's and we raced a few times and the winner was always who could get off the line the best. Literally if he got ahead of me by a fender thats where he stayed the whole race, they were always extremely close to each other.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread