Ran a 03/04 Cobra vert tonight

okc12silvergt

Established Member
Ok so I haven't been on here in awhile. I have a 2012 5.0 with JBA headers, xpipe, axleback, CJ intake, Monoblade TB, FRPP CAI. Car made 477 WHP 390 WTQ on a dynojet. I was supposed to run a 4th gen Camaro but that didn't happen because I had a hole in a drag radial.But I f it and went out anyway on my daily wheels with street tires. I have 245/45/18 in the back LOL. Got to the meet spot and everyone was leaving bummer. Guy I know in a 08 M5 was like You should run my buddy in a 03/04 Cobra. Ok I was im down but thinking in my head hmmm this could either go real bad or ok for me. Guy in the M5 said it was ported stock blower, pulley bolt-on ect. Its a vert. ( I later found out it was a stock blower non ported with a pulley and full exhaust. IDK what size pulley)

OK so I am liking my chances knowing how I did against another 03/04 Cobra with ported blower bolt-ons that wasn't a vert. I am defiantly game now. he had a passenger and I didn't weight advantage to me.

So we drive out onto the Mexican highway we went from a 40 roll advantage to him. First run I spun bad almost went sideways let out a little got back in it. My pizza cutter tires do no good from anything lower than 50. he jumped out about a half car. I reeled that in and when I shifted to 4th. I start to walk away from him. 2nd run I start in 3rd from 40 LOL. Figure I wont spin. Car bogs he jumps out about a car I reel it in and same thing shift to 4th and start to walk away. Also had a run with the guy in the M5. It was a 2008 model with the N/A 5.0 V10. I think rated at 500 crank HP. He had 2 extra passengers as well though. I started in 3rd at 40 to give him a chance. He jumped out about a half car for a second. Once I was in power at about 5k I started to pull hard. Shifted to 4th and I started to walk away. All in all im pretty happy with my car the way it runs N/A.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
I don't follow the new 5.0s alot but 477rwhp from your mods seems a little high......they make that power with exhaust?

Zemedici

Established Member
477WHP is high for your mods

40 is far from ideal for a cobra with 3.55 gears (iirc i'm at like 2500rpms in 2nd, far from powerband)

Good runs nonetheless, i'm assuming you're a 3.73 car?

b_dike

Established Member
I don't follow the new 5.0s alot but 477rwhp from your mods seems a little high......they make that power with exhaust?

Apparently you haven't heard of the vaunted CJ intake mod... 5.0's can't be beat with them lol

Good kills op, I'm sure your car runs strong.

Rambro

Established Member
I'm team Cobro all the way, but it makes me proud that the 5.0 gives us ford guys something to hang our hat on N/A wise.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

This was my thoughts exactly. For people that want bragging numbers rights, just find a happy dyno.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
What gas are you running? 477 RWHP seems very high.

Are you running a Ported CJ Manifold, mid-pipe and E85? Even then, most guys with full exhaust, every bolt-on and race gas are in the 460 RWHP range.

LOL @ the guys hating on CJ cars. First it was all about the boss, now it is the CJ manifold you are shitting on. Haters gonna hate, ainter's gonna ain't?

Beetle6986

Established Member
What gas are you running? 477 RWHP seems very high.

Are you running a Ported CJ Manifold, mid-pipe and E85? Even then, most guys with full exhaust, every bolt-on and race gas are in the 460 RWHP range.

LOL @ the guys hating on CJ cars. First it was all about the boss, now it is the CJ manifold you are shitting on. Haters gonna hate, ainter's gonna ain't?

477 does seem high. Doesn't it also seem odd that the HP is so much higher than the TQ? Typically a car with his mods would be a good run for a pullied Cobra. Not so much with a ported Cobra.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
477 does seem high. Doesn't it also seem odd that the HP is so much higher than the TQ? Typically a car with his mods would be a good run for a pullied Cobra. Not so much with a ported Cobra.

Most CJ cars are running mid 11's @ 120-122. Some are running lower 11's with suspension work. Drew went 11.0's on stock headers around 445 RWHP.

Better times out of pullied cobras are a bit slower on ET, but, trap speeds are about the same. Ported cars with great drivers are very well capable of bottom 11's, high 10's @ 122-125. Depends on the driver and the day the car is ran.

I don't really see a CJ 5.0 beating a ported cobra unless the driver of the Cobra needs improvement.

matt87

Established Member
ya i call bs on this post. i've raced a couple bolt on 5.0s like yours and walk them easily. you must have one those factory freaks i guess. lol!

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Good kill OP, cobra jet cars roll out. I took down a stock c6z06 the other day and inched an 510 whp evo x. I would like to see your dyno sheet.

Users who are viewing this thread