Ram1500 EcoDiesel V6 revealed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorySong

Established Member
[youtube_browser]5Wtfact8ttg[/youtube_browser]

Didn't see anything posted about this bad boy. Finally a diesel for the light duty trucks. It features a 3.0-liter VM Motori making 420 ft/lbs . The truck is just $2,850 more than a Hemi truck so figure 31k for a quad cab and it should be breaking the 30 mpg mark. Sounds like a winner since it will out tow the hell out of Ecoboost garbage Ford is putting out. I feel bad for the guys stuck with gassers now. :banana:

BTW: For those not into the diesel world, VM Motori is a massive name in respects to the compact truck diesel market overseas. It also appears that MTU has bought the rights to any non Italy sold marine/defense engines so that tell you everything you need to know about longevity and their manufacturing reputation.

Last edited:

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Waiting for Ecoboost F-150 owners to chime in. So im confused OP, you're comparing a twin turbo diesel to a tein turbo gas engine? Is that really a fair comparison?

Badass_Forever

Established Member
Love it, I already love the ram. The Hemi kills the other trucks, we have 6.0L chevs at work and they tow nice, but no where near as nice as the hemi.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
that's awesome. it's still a 1/2 ton truck though so it could tow alot but still get worked to death by a big trailer on the hwy getting blown around.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
Waiting for Ecoboost F-150 owners to chime in. So im confused OP, you're comparing a twin turbo diesel to a tein turbo gas engine? Is that really a fair comparison?

Do you expect logic to be applied by the OP?

VictorySong

Established Member

Actually, Ford thinks it is here Doug Scott Talks Ford Atlas Concept! Plus Small Trucks & GM, Dodge & Toyota Rivals! - WOT Episode 64 - YouTube. They are sticking with gassers and this IS their competition. This truck should be a beast. I see the Ford Ecoboost crew has shown up.

Check out the MPG of the "Eco"boost here.REAL TOWING MPG - Fuel Mileage - Ford Ecoboost Owners Forum Kind of crappy that under 10mpg is common. My 30 year old rig got better than that with 4.10 gears and 33s.

Bottom line: This new V6 diesel will crush it in real world MPG for towing. Not that it matters to the Ecoboost crew.:rolling:

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Why cant some people post something from another brand and be mature about it? Why the ford bashing??

We are all enthusiasts here. The way you posted this makes you sound like a 3rd grader.

nidyanazo

///AMG &Ducati aficionado
Established Member
There is no comparison between a twin turbo diesel and a turbo gas motor. Thats like apples to oranges.

Just speaking for my own thought process, If I'm buying a diesel, I'm buying a large powerful one, not the smallest one on the market.

VictorySong

Established Member
Why cant some people post something from another brand and be mature about it? Why the ford bashing??

We are all enthusiasts here. The way you posted this makes you sound like a 3rd grader.

Because in the real world, people criticize things they don't like solely for the purpose of making their choices feel better. Is this the first time you've visited the internet?:shrug:

Diesels outperform gasoline trucks in every possible way. I don't like the fact that Ford is trying to pass the EB on to people who don't know better by acting like it gets the same MPG as their wife's minivan while towing loads. It's never has been true and it's BS to see people buying a truck that won't do what they need it to do.

TLDR version: This truck is aimed @ the EB and Ford is advertising their truck as an economy minded vehicle that can tow. The reality is much different as you can see by the real world numbers.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Ecoboost still puts out 120HP more than the Ram with same torque. You can be assured that the ram's supposedly "25+mpg" will go down substancially once it is actually towing.

VictorySong

Established Member
Ecoboost still puts out 120HP more than the Ram with same torque. You can be assured that the ram's supposedly "25+mpg" will go down substancially once it is actually towing.

It had better get 16+mpg @ 6k towing. If it doesn't than there is no point over the CTD for the small business market. I'm betting the mileage will be good. VM doesn't put out junk engines and they have a lot of experience with the compact truck market overseas with operators who think they're in a class 8 rig.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Because in the real world, people criticize things they don't like solely for the purpose of making their choices feel better. Is this the first time you've visited the internet?:shrug:

Diesels outperform gasoline trucks in every possible way. I don't like the fact that Ford is trying to pass the EB on to people who don't know better by acting like it gets the same MPG as their wife's minivan while towing loads. It's never has been true and it's BS to see people buying a truck that won't do what they need it to do.

TLDR version: This truck is aimed @ the EB and Ford is advertising their truck as an economy minded vehicle that can tow. The reality is much different as you can see by the real world numbers.

:bs:Well that might be your reality. But I don't hate on other peoples choices just because they're not the same as mine.

Like zyborg said, the Ecoboost makes more hp and the same amount of torque. So why should ford worry? Last time I checked diesel fuel wasn't cheaper then gas.
Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Update - Energy Information Administration

VictorySong

Established Member
:bs:Well that might be your reality. But I don't hate on other peoples choices just because they're not the same as mine.

Like zyborg said, the Ecoboost makes more hp and the same amount of torque. So why should ford worry? Last time I checked diesel fuel wasn't cheaper then gas.
Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Update - Energy Information Administration

Let me google that for you

We will have to wait and see if the mpg figures make it more economical than the EB so your link isn't relevant yet. I'm betting it will outdo the EB in towing MPG. Although, the bar is set pretty low at under 10mpg.:lol1:

VictorySong

Established Member
the OP has missed the point that the ecoboost sees multiple applications.
:fart:

You think the EB will get more MPG than this thing around town? Not a chance. It might be slow as balls but, the EB won't touch it there. I guarantee it.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Let me google that for you

We will have to wait and see if the mpg figures make it more economical than the EB so your link isn't relevant yet. I'm betting it will outdo the EB in towing MPG. Although, the bar is set pretty low at under 10mpg.:lol1:

Well you sure are doing a lot of betting and waiting for a guy who came in here calling the ecoboost garbage and making this little diesel sound like the best thing since sliced bread.

Back peddling much...:kaboom:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread