RAM TRX debut

kaz109

Established Member
If they had the guts to throw the 5.2SC in there, Ram would have no bragging rights on how fast it is.
Even a 650hp Raptor would beat the Ram in the 60/QM.

Because that's what this segment is about lol.....

Lol@had the guts

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Because that's what this segment is about lol.....

Lol@had the guts

Please, I know what this segment is about first and foremost. Suspension & brakes then power.

I offroad mine monthly. I'm happy with the stock power. But if Ford wanted to play the hp game with the Ram, with maybe a limited run, the 5.2L imo would knock out all the thunder from the TRX.
The TRX is only gaining attention cause of power and veeeight.

I don't think they will, cause the 3.5L is an ideal application for the truck and well it's not about stupid power when in the dirt.
But Ford has to know a vast majority of their buyers buy it cause it looks cool and it has big tires from factory.

I meet so many Raptor owners in SFL who just talk, and are too scared to even go out to an event, where you can take it easy if you want to. They throw the Fox stickers on their trucks and lights galore but it stays a pavement princess.

how do you figure? I doubt ford would put the DCT in the raptor and with the extra weight of the engine plus all the cooling stuff, upgraded axles, it probably wouldn’t be one sided like you think.

I knew Ram shaved off some weight when I was looking the 5th gen up a few years back, but didn't realize they were in the low to mid 5k range for their crewcabs. So, nevermind on that statement. Thought Ford still had a decent weight advantage in comparable trims. Add a 5.2L + blower and yea it's closer than it seems.

gofast15

Established Member
Pretty cool truck with a great motor . Got to get them while we can because Dodge will probably go bankrupt when the new 2025 CAFE standards go into affect as they have no electric , hybrid vehicles .

bigdave03svt

Established Member
Did they show any videos of it doing more than donuts in the sand and high speed flat desert running? I wanna see that suspension working. What I'm seeing is its a slightly wider raptor with 700Hp. The specs are basically identical but Id give the suspensions edge to Ford, especially with the bolt in Fox Factory live valve shocks available now. The ram is also 700lbs heavier

At least ford beat on the truck some in their demos :D

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Pretty cool truck with a great motor . Got to get them while we can because Dodge will probably go bankrupt when the new 2025 CAFE standards go into affect as they have no electric, hybrid vehicles .

Their merger with Peageot is to address just that. You'll also notice that they will not be making small cars, as there is a sliding scale as wheelbase grows. There is significant regulatory relief for larger vehicles. If you look at the next mustang (S650?)...part of the reason behind it's expected growth are CAFE requirements. It sounds counter intuitive, but it's a way to hit the numbers.

Last edited:

Diablo Mike

Trinity Guy
Authorized Vendor
Are you out of touch?

https://camburg.com/product-category/suspension/susp-shocks/

2.5" is pretty much the standard go-to for aftermarket LT kits.

Again, this AND the RAPTOR are not competition PreRunners nor Trophy trucks.

That's like call a GT500 a Nascar or a Hellcat a Topfuel Dragster.

A SxS destroys the Raptor off road and that comparison is like bitching about how a Hayabusa will squash a 911.
I'm no shock pro either, but I see this as akin to asking why a Demon didn't come with Santhuff's or Menscer's....lol.
Their merger with Peageot is to address just that. You'll also notice that they will not be making small cars, as there is a sliding scale as wheelbase grows. There is significant regulatory relief for larger vehicles. If you look at the next mustang (S650?)...part of the reason behind it's expected growth are CAFE requirements. It sounds counter intuitive, but it's a way to hit the numbers.
Yeah, these guys are not dumb.

Note that they have openly stated they will only build the Hellcat Durango for 1 model year as it simply will not work for emissions in 2022.
The future is very clear to the guys at the top.
There are enough high paid executives that live in the future and have no clue whats going on today to make sure they are ahead of the game.

My94GT

Established Member
Pretty cool truck with a great motor . Got to get them while we can because Dodge will probably go bankrupt when the new 2025 CAFE standards go into affect as they have no electric , hybrid vehicles .

did ram say they would only be a limited run?

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Wonder what made Ram go from King, from their concept truck, to Bilstein?

Bilstein big enough to pump out thousands of sets of shocks for the trucks the main reason?

37's would of been tits too from a factory truck, at a cost of more rotating mass/worse mileage.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The debate between Raptor and TRX is one of futility. "Better" is subjective, and that's a great thing. Ford guys will always buy Ford, and Ram the guys the same. It's the potential buyers not brand loyal where the marketing and advertising will come in to play. In this case, the tale of the tape/headline specs (which is far from everything I know) certainly favors the TRX rather significantly in the "bling" areas. Price is a consideration for some, but if you look at trucks, as well as other S.E. car models, it would appear that there is no end in sight on the price people are willing to pay. They are money printing machines for the time being.

My94GT

Established Member
Wonder what made Ram go from King, from their concept truck, to Bilstein?

Bilstein big enough to pump out thousands of sets of shocks for the trucks the main reason?

37's would of been tits too from a factory truck, at a cost of more rotating mass/worse mileage.

from what I heard mentioned in the release the bed mounted spare is set up to accommodate a 37. I would assume that’s their way of hinting that they know people will want to step up in tire size

blk02edge

Established Member
Did they show any videos of it doing more than donuts in the sand and high speed flat desert running? I wanna see that suspension working. What I'm seeing is its a slightly wider raptor with 700Hp. The specs are basically identical but Id give the suspensions edge to Ford, especially with the bolt in Fox Factory live valve shocks available now. The ram is also 700lbs heavier

No because that's all it's got and if it went through an actual field of whoops it would get eaten alive, you'll see soon enough.

It will be cool once people go long travel with big boy shocks though. That 5link rear end is the big head scratcher on how to make that keep up though, we'll see.

Bensin

Established Member
Did they show any videos of it doing more than donuts in the sand and high speed flat desert running? I wanna see that suspension working.

Rock mode, but nothing like the cool demo of the Supercab from Ford.

kaz109

Established Member

There is a rumour but I am waiting to get validation from a more reliable source....

Well, just saw a report from the Shelby testing facility in Vegas...apparently they put the TRX through the same suspension test they do on the Raptors and it "failed miserably".

Apparently on the third jump into the first run, the driver side shock gave out. The bushing shattered into pieces and came out, causing the stab and the LCA knuckle to break. In addition they bent the tie rod pretty badly.

That is the rumour

My94GT

Established Member
There is a rumour but I am waiting to get validation from a more reliable source....

Well, just saw a report from the Shelby testing facility in Vegas...apparently they put the TRX through the same suspension test they do on the Raptors and it "failed miserably".

Apparently on the third jump into the first run, the driver side shock gave out. The bushing shattered into pieces and came out, causing the stab and the LCA knuckle to break. In addition they bent the tie rod pretty badly.

That is the rumour

you would figure if that ends up being a continual problem they change the shocks

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
So much to unpack but here is my opinion/take on the ram trx @john11gt @csc427 @RedVenom48 @My94GT

I love the interior and I feel it is class leading and I love the motor. I have always felt the hellcat motor is better suited in a truck as I don't find enjoyment in a car with a redline on the wrong side of 6500rpm

I feel like this trx has a chance to be just as capable as a gen 2 raptor off road ( which this category is all about) which comes as a shock to me as it seems they put more leg work into it than I thought they would.

I feel the exterior is bland in the looks department the Raptors kills the TRX.

The negatives for me ......well the biggest negative for me is , Ram did JUST Enough to get by and as the saying goes when you do just enough to get by it's never enough. IMO ram copied and pasted all of the gen 2 raptor specs and matched it then added a 702HP SC V8 which for some/most is all they needed to do but at a 20k premium. 0-60 is the last measurement you should be looking at in this segment but the reality is it is a top selling point so with the 450hp EcoBoost it turns a 5.5 and the 702 HP big 6.2 SC V8 turns 4.5.....so all that extra HP makes for a 1 sec difference. So a tuned only EcoBoost can hit that number ....then ppl will say " yea well you can pulley the and tune the trx " etc etc....but the fact of the matter is they both can be made to go faster on pavement and the results will likely be the same.......

So with that said you are paying a 20k premium for sound. You are paying 20k more because your truck sounds better and 20k more because your truck is 1 sec faster on pavement in which neither truck was designed for.

Me personally if I didnt have either truck I would buy the TRX , that 20k is worth it to me for the V8 since on paper it seems like the trx matches the raptor in all off road capabilities( even though I do wonder how the 1k of extra weight would affect the driving experience) and I do question why Ram didn't send the TRX to the baja 1000 .

I have a 2020 raptor so for me personally I don't see the need as I have the same off road capabilities and I am a tune away from matching this TRX pavement performance.

To those that I mentioned, is having a SC V8 worth a 20k premium to you? A TRX is roughly 20k more than a Gen 2 raptor of the same spec.......
MSRP on lots around here are 70K+ for Raptors and thats not changing when you go to negotiate.

New Ford Cars - Sanderson Ford - Glendale, AZ

Didnt realize you own a 2020 Raptor so that makes sense.

how do you figure? I doubt ford would put the DCT in the raptor and with the extra weight of the engine plus all the cooling stuff, upgraded axles, it probably wouldn’t be one sided like you think.

Refine and install the 10R140 from the Super Duty, tune the engine for low to mid torque. /done

I think the fully floated Dana 60 rear is pretty cool, and... you know... A SUPER CHARGED V8 HELLCAT BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Users who are viewing this thread