Raising the cobra, opinions

thirtytwovalve

Steam Rollin 335's
Established Member
So, having a slammed cobra as my dd makes it really hard to go a lot of places so I end up taking the Bronco. Right now I've got Eibach Pros and the exhaust scrapes over everything. I'm thinking of H&R race springs, anyone using them for their DD? I want to be able to go over a speed bump without having to parallel it to avoid the scrape

thirtytwovalve

Steam Rollin 335's
Established Member
Pics for reference
IMG_20121028_160510.jpg

IMG_20121028_160550.jpg

IMG_20121028_160608.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
How about a picture with the car on the ground from the side? want to see how the mufflers sit, assuming thats what hitting. Tried raising the exhaust? You could get about a half inch from poly isolators? Cheaper than buying new springs

KLLR SNK

Established Member
I am experiencing about the same thing with my Eibach Pro Kit with all stock ISO's in. I wasn't expecting as much drop as I got, it's almost like they are sportlines. I have rubbed a couple of times and bottomed a couple of times which is unacceptable for me. The stance is phenomenal but even with MM CC plates we couldn't get the caster less then 5.0°, everything else is dead on. So I am in the decision mode once again. I am looking at poly ISO's, re-clocking the springs, cutting a coupe set of springs(I have) or putting the stock vert springs back in and calling it a day. Fortunately my car is not my DD so it will sit in the garage until I get my AFS 18's mounted in the next few days to see what that tells me.

cobracide

Established Member
Steeda Sports, all ISOs. Tops almost all Carolina speed bumps, be it at a slow crawl. Damn your stuff is slammed.

MyPics%2520213.JPG

Last edited:

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
DSC00382_zpsad3f74f6.jpg

I'm in the same boat. Sitting on H&R springs, not sure about the iso's. If I go over any thing taller than the rocks in the pic, it rubs. Haven't had it on the lift yet to see whats hitting. Either the exhaust needs raised or the iso's need addressed.
CCW's should be here any day, going to 18's. The tire height will be the same though. Somethings gotta give, I cant stand the sound of it bottoming out!

thirtytwovalve

Steam Rollin 335's
Established Member
I'll take some pics from the side tomorrow. I've tried everything to tuck the exhaust and it really hasn't helped. These springs make my car a pain to drive, always watching for crap in the road, low spots, speed bumps, steep driveway ramps, cant really take it to shops because its hard to get up ramps without using blocks. It looks awesome, but its really impractical. I'll look into the Steeda springs, I'm on 18's already and its still bad. CCW's will be sweet on your vert

Last edited:

thirtytwovalve

Steam Rollin 335's
Established Member
Here are some older pics that kind of show how low it is from the side. Its too dark out to take the exhaust pics you're looking for. The ORX is scraped, the mufflers are scraped, and the horizontal parts of the catback right in front of the gas tank have light scraping on them. I'm going to replace the entire exhaust this summer because of all of the scraping. Sucks because I hand polished my catback...

IMG_20121102_181820.jpg

IMG_20120805_134247.jpg

IMG_20120401_140931.jpg

This was one I took while I was adjusting the exhaust, the clamps for the X/CB were too low so I readjusted them again after this pic.
IMG_20130427_183959_zps26c60375.jpg

Last edited:

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Man, that thing is in the weeds! Looks killer too. But yeah, makes it a pain in the butt to drive in certain areas.

thirtytwovalve

Steam Rollin 335's
Established Member
Scraped for the most part, one of the mufflers has a pretty good dent in it. It looks alright, but one time I drove over one of those filler caps at the gas station and it put a pretty good crease in the pipe just after the muffler. Cosmetic for the most part, but it bothers me. It also wouldn't realign as well as it did before after that.

IMG_20130515_185430_zps1a2f8e55.jpg

The one on the drivers side looks weird but it gave me a little more ground clearance and scrapes less often. Both mufflers are parallel and this is the best setup I've come up with short of raising the Cobra. I ordered some urethane isos for the rear today. I'll stuff those in there when they get here and if that doesn't work I think I'll be going with the Steedas and selling off the Eibachs

Last edited:

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
wow, your car looks awesome, but i could see where you would have problems with it.

b_dike

Established Member
I think h&r race springs would be a good compromise for you. Not too low, but not 4x4 high. I use them without any isos for the max drop, and only scrape on the big bumps and steep drives. Plus they feel great in the corners. More functional than the super sport springs.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
the responses here is why I went with MM coil overs and C/C plates. coil overs can be adjusted to adjust the height to exactly where you want it.

cobracide

Established Member
I think h&r race springs would be a good compromise for you. Not too low, but not 4x4 high. I use them without any isos for the max drop, and only scrape on the big bumps and steep drives. Plus they feel great in the corners. More functional than the super sport springs.

One thing, when you hit - it sux. Period. I'd rather hit less and I'm pretty sure they don't have speed bumps in KC. In the northeast, snow plows kept them away.

Users who are viewing this thread