Radioisotopes and HR

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Today was utterly wasted on utterly idiotic corporate policy training. On-line. It seems it is designed by sadists to be as punishingly boring as possible. I mean that, too. The boredom is punishing. There's a whole major hospital right outside the door of my office, machines making radiation, that's where I should be. But nooooo! HR in Germany, calls me in a conference call with my boss, and asks me,

"Jim, you're 199 days behind on your on-line training. We're concerned because we're seeing a pattern, here. Why do you wait so long to get this stuff done?"

And I say, "What, are you kidding? Have you seen that stuff?"

Well, they have. They wrote most of it. I explained I work on machines that emit ionizing radiation, and they said,

"The whole world isn't only about radioisotopes, James."

And I said, "Excuse me? Yes. Yes it is ALL about the radioisotopes!"

I asked them if I could just please, skip ahead to the test, and be done with it. And they said, "But you wouldn't have any hope of passing the test without learning the course material."

And I said, "What, are you serious? It's what I always did in the past, when we could just skip right to the test. Always got perfect scores."

"You must have been cheating."

"Nope."

So they asked me a question about Data Protection. Someone in the company asks for personal data about an employee which they have no business having, do you give it to them or not? And they were astonished when I said "NO, because they have no need for it!"

So then they said, "Well, obviously, as a senior engineer, you have internalized the training to the point that it is transparent to you."

And that was the exact moment when I knew, beyond all doubt, that I was not going to win this fight.

Miserable HR bastards. I've got three more days of this shit to sit there and press "next" like a rat pressing a food-pellet bar to get through. The only thing that can save me is a catastrophic failure, like, the hospital is falling over. Or Mexican Banditos riding Velociraptors are stealing the liquid helium from the CT department.

wundrbird

Proud Father
Established Member
Good grief, I know from personal experience the misery of that training. Based on what you've said, I probably work for a company that used to be partnered with yours in the home appliance biz. We go through the same thing every year. Click.................click................snooze.

beeradd

Established Member
Online training modules are fun!

I work a similar job to you, it is a real struggle to keep up with these things sometimes. Just when you clear the list they fill it up again…

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
MQ-9 on station in a few minutes, the hospital might not fall over in the traditional sense but.....

Yearly training is the worst. I save all mine for the week between Christmas and New Years because no one is around.

bullitt2735

Established Member
Ugh they're the worst, my company last year made it unable to skip the video sections of our online training. Luckily I discovered I could right click and change the speed to 4x so at least it only takes a few minutes of chipmunk sounds before I can get to the quiz. I'm so so hoping they don't figure it out and close that one HAHA

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have to deal with this stuff every year. What's even worse is they don't change the training modules. At all. And I can't skip through most of them.

Stangra

Established Member
Ugh they're the worst, my company last year made it unable to skip the video sections of our online training. Luckily I discovered I could right click and change the speed to 4x so at least it only takes a few minutes of chipmunk sounds before I can get to the quiz. I'm so so hoping they don't figure it out and close that one HAHA
After this post, your IT dept. is working on an upgrade right now! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread