Radio problems - Heat soaked

peterjmc

Azn SVT Own3r
Established Member
Wassup Fellas! If you are a car audio expert please help me with my problem-o. This isn't installed in any Mustang or Ford... as I have sold it :-( Anyway, It's installed in my Jetta and I'm having problems with playing MP3's when it's really hot outside. I've posted this on SoundDomain.com. If anyone knows any other Car Audio forums, please let me know.

Here is the post...

This headunit is great, except for the fact that you cannot play MP3's while it is in a high heat environment. While playing MP3's the file skips and jumps all around. I have to resort to running the AC inorder to actually play an MP3 cd.

Example - Car is sitting out in the sun and it's 90+ F in the car; or It's a normal temp in the car (70F?) and the radio is on for awhile and starts to heatup.

It's installed in a 95 Jetta. The headunit is located right below the vents, so the radio is easily cooled by running the AC for awhile. I can't imagine what this would be like during the winter! I need help! Has anyone experienced this problem before? is this a defect in the radio, or should I provide some additional cooling so this will not occur?

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Sounds like a combination of the car and the unit. Most MP3 decks that have hard drives in them are proned to overheating.

One option is to get yourself one of those brushless 12 VDC fans from Radio Shack and mount it somewhere on above or behind the unit, if there is room in there. Connect it to the auto antenna line so that it goes on/off with the deck.

These are fairly cheap (< $20), but be aware that some decks may have problems with the fan, in particular with AM and FM reception or noise.

peterjmc

Azn SVT Own3r
Established Member
Jeff,

Yea, it's def a combination of both... they don't leave much space ventilation space in there. I have some heat sheild padding, and have considered installing a small fan as well. Thanks for the input!

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
I've got an aftermarket headunit as well. Only when the car's been sitting in the sun, or I have the heat on full blast through the top vents for a while does it say that the temp is too high to play the CD. So then I just eject the CD, cool it off, and it's good again. That, or play the cds in the changer (in the trunk).

In your case, however, I think it might just be that the MP3 player was made with a lower heat tolerance than my Alpine.

Suggestion: Drive with the temperature set on cold, and let it blow through the vents. The air conditioning or fan doesn't even have to be on. When you're driving, it blows air through there, anyway. That, or hit the air circulation off button next to the air condition switch, and no air will be going through the vets at all. I've never heard of the problem being so bad as you described it, and the stock radios had no problems at all. Oh, and it won't be a problem in the winter, I'm pretty sure.

Last edited:

peterjmc

Azn SVT Own3r
Established Member
Well I contacted the seller weever82 and he is going to replace my radio.

go ahead and box it back up. i will swap out the units for you. don't worry about the remotes, manuals, etc. i will just exchange out the main unit.

i will take care of you. let me know when you send it out. heres my info.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

thanks! sorry about all this.

So far this guy has been an A+ seller!! Fast shipment, quick email responses, and from what I can tell good customer service skills... even at 10:50pm!! :beer:

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
Originally posted by peterjmc
So far this guy has been an A+ seller!! Fast shipment, quick email responses, and from what I can tell good customer service skills... even at 10:50pm!! :beer:

Most of the big sellers on eBay are the best ever! :rockon:

I've had so many sellers make the biggest efforts to make everything right when something went wrong with the item. eBay has little problems here or there, but overall it's excellent!:coolman:

peterjmc

Azn SVT Own3r
Established Member
Yea, I decided it's about time to post something good about eBay for once. The past couple of days there have been a lot of eBay complaints. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread