Radiator hose leak - help :)

Kel

Established Member
Guys, replaced the lower radiator hose in my 66 vert (Edelbrock water pump, stock type radiator). No issue with the hose into the radiator, however, the other end into the pump is giving me fits. It leaks, drip, drip, drip every few seconds. I've tightened the clamp (worm gear type, 1/4" slotted head), made sure the hose was up as "high" as I could on the neck and even taken it off and replaced with another, but still get the same result. A very slow drip. I am getting good at draining the radiator :dw: Unfortunately, it's time to put her away for the winter, but I'd like to address this, change the oil, etc. prior to. Any recommendations, things I may be missing? TIA.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Is the outlet to the water pump out of round? I have seen them plenty of times where its out of round enough that it wont seal perfectly and will leak no matter what you attempt.

Id say check to make sure you don't have a pinch point either where the hose clamp has cut the hose enough for it to leak out through the slit. Over-tightening can be worse than it being just right.

Kel

Established Member
Appreciate the feedback. I thought of the out of round situation, but it's hard to tell (should've been checked when originally installed) and naturally the leak is from the back side where I can't see to tell if there's a casting/flash issue on the water pump or the hose isn't centrifically aligned around the outlet somehow. RTV or some sort of gasket sealant maybe externally applied? Thanks.

Blown 89

Established Member
I had this happen once. Aggressively take some sand paper around the pump where the tube clamps down. If it's coming out of the weep hole you have other problems.

Kel

Established Member
I'll try the sand paper, I was thinking that as well, but trying to just adjust/retighten first. Thanks.

Kel

Established Member
Took it off again at the pump, it feels fairly concentric. However, if you're standing over the alternator on the passenger fender reaching down, on the 6 o'clock position of the outlet (naturally in the back where you can't see!), I can feel a pronounced "point" of metal for lack of a better term sticking up maybe a 1/16" of an inch? I doubt I could sand that off easily or quickly. Is there supposed to be some sort of "point" or pronounced ridge perhaps to somehow assist in holding the hose on? I would think if I pushed the hose well over that point and clamped it would take that out of the equation, but it still drips slightly.

Blown 89

Established Member
I can't think of a reason a metal point would be there. Then again some of my kart engines have a guide points to orientate hoses on correctly so without seeing what it is it's tough to tell.

Kel

Established Member
I hear you on the guide point, but I doubt Edelbrock would put one on there? It definitely catches the finger. I may try and sand it off, going to be tough/maybe not possible by hand. Appreciate the feedback, thanks.

MysticRob

Established Member
First thing I thought about is pitting on the water pump surface. If it's very pitted and corroded away you'll have a hell of a time getting a hose and clamp to seal against such an uneven surface. If that's not it, find the cleanest, nonpitted, smothest and rounded surface on the pump, and clamp the hose at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread