Radiator help asap!!

ZACH'S97

Established Member
My turbo 03 cobra is in the process of receiving a new turbo, piping, fuel system and more. The radiator leaks bad. I can't clear much thicker than stock 1 3/8" before having turbo clearance issues. I bought a stock replacement at Oreilly's, but it's only 1" thick. Will being 3/8" thinner be a problem? I'm in a crunch because my only other option really is oem and I have to make a decision fast because it's in a friends shop and can't stay there too long. I appreciate any insight.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Man, that's wrong that a stock replacement is that much thinner. That's 38% thinner! I wouldn't put it in a high performance car making 2-3 times the power than stock. Get the right one.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
My turbo 03 cobra is in the process of receiving a new turbo, piping, fuel system and more. The radiator leaks bad. I can't clear much thicker than stock 1 3/8" before having turbo clearance issues. I bought a stock replacement at Oreilly's, but it's only 1" thick. Will being 3/8" thinner be a problem? I'm in a crunch because my only other option really is oem and I have to make a decision fast because it's in a friends shop and can't stay there too long. I appreciate any insight.

Sounds like they gave you a stock GT radiator if its that much thinner. Get the OEM Cobra radiator.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
At least a stock OEM Cobra radiator. Otherwise go with a thicker aftermarket radiator and slim line puller fans or switch to pusher fans to take care of clearance issues with the thicker radiator. You absolutely should not be going thinner than stock or even staying with a stock size radiator with double or more the horsepower than the car came with. I would try going thicker and switch out fans to get rid of clearance issues if at all possible.

Ken

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
There has to be a point of diminishing returns with regard to how thick the radiator is. You can go 5" for example but is it going to cool any more than a 3" Plenty of people are making big power with the stock radiator. Mine was the 1" one ('98 Cobra) and I upgraded to the Termi radiator--mainly due to OEM quality. Plenty of cooling.....

fangs99

Established Member
I want to ditch my stock 99 because it is so thin and as the plastic end caps. The OEM 03-04 cobras have Aluminum end caps right?

Last edited:

ZACH'S97

Established Member
Everything I've read and looked at says the end tanks are welded on. They also have a good warranty. What is so bad about them? What is better within a reasonable price range? I'll probably give it a shot for the money seems hard to beat.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Lots of people have had issues with them. One guy replaced it like 3 times and had the same leaky issue every time. Do what you want but be prepared to deal with replacing it, etc. I personally wouldn't want the hassle of having to deal with something like that even if it's under some sort of warranty.

Sagittaria

Established Member
Mishmoto is junk, they epoxy their end tanks on and they end up splitting. Spend the money once and get a quality radiator with welded end tanks.

No issues with mine and the tanks are definitively welded... when I pulled out my leaking fluidyne with the mishi seeming to be a good be more sturdier. I believe there is a thread floating around here comparing the two with the mishi have much thicker upper and lower support.

I've had mine on with ZERO issues for the year it's been on. Just correctly modify the ABS mount (another thread floating around) so nothing's touching and you'll be alright. I can wiggle mine around very freely now.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
No issues with mine and the tanks are definitively welded... when I pulled out my leaking fluidyne with the mishi seeming to be a good be more sturdier. I believe there is a thread floating around here comparing the two with the mishi have much thicker upper and lower support.

I've had mine on with ZERO issues for the year it's been on. Just correctly modify the ABS mount (another thread floating around) so nothing's touching and you'll be alright. I can wiggle mine around very freely now.

you will eventually be replacing it lol. everyone that i know, EVERYONE has replaced them with either OEM or something more expensive. I even repaired a few of them because they are made in china with soda can metal. Just spend the money the first time and be done with it. Ive had my LFP radiator for years and it still runs great to this day.

Last edited:

Sagittaria

Established Member
you will eventually be replacing it lol. everyone that i know, EVERYONE has replaced them with either OEM or something more expensive. I even repaired a few of them because they are made in china with soda can metal. Just spend the money the first time and be done with it. Ive had my LFP radiator for years and it still runs great to this day.

I'm not sure I can take the word from a guy who confused epoxy and welding? :??: No foul to you and your LFP but I don't appreciate it when people knock or spread misinformation about other products and work that they themselves have never owned.

To others who want some harder facts take a look at this thread.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...radiator-comparison-mishimoto-v-fluidune.html

Sagittaria

Established Member
...Unless there's some new form of shiny penny epoxying method I don't know about?

20120326_174805.jpg

20120326_174755.jpg

Last edited:

ZACH'S97

Established Member
Mine will be here in a day or two. Everything I've read says the end tanks are welded. Maybe they used epoxy in the past, but clearly they are welded now. If I have issues I'll deal with it later but I think it'll be fine.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Mishmoto is junk, they epoxy their end tanks on and they end up splitting. Spend the money once and get a quality radiator with welded end tanks.

Mishimoto here and zero epoxy. It has been in the car a year with zero issues. It replaced a Fluidyne that was leaking like a sieve.

Op,

I believe improper installation is the leading cause for leaks.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/772762-my-mishimoto-radiator-install.html

Might consider an anode too.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...option-fluidyne-other-aluminum-radiators.html

Users who are viewing this thread