Radiator Fitting Question

WonderWarthog

Elder Dude
Trying to obtain a replacement radiator for a '98 Cobra. Ford specified a manual-only part number (F7ZZ-8005-BA) prior to an April '98 date of manufacture, then an auto/manual version (F7ZZ-8005-AA) after. (One of my problems is that my VIN shows DOM as April, and Ford doesn't refer to a 'during' April DOM, only 'before' or 'after'.)

Regardless, it really doesn't look like the existing, original fan shroud could possibly clear any automatic cooler fittings, regardless of the fact they wouldn't be used. The shroud is attached flush to the radiator tanks, the entire vertical height, in the almost certain locations of any protruding fittings. Of course, I don't have a new radiator to compare, and don't want to order one just to return it if it can't be installed (I'm running into parts listed as compatible that simply don't fit).

Has anyone actually fit an automatic radiator in a 98 Cobra using the original fan setup?

shurur

Established Member
I think the 96 cobra had a different radiator than the 97-98, but can't remember why.

That being said..if your fan shroud does not go all the way to the bottom of the radiator, then it should clear just fine.

One clue might be whether the fans for the Automatic and Manual GTs are different part numbers (which I doubt) AND whether the fan part number for the Cobra and GT are the same. If so..then you should be good to go.

Also...I am getting more stuff on amazon these days ..as returns can be done through local Kohls stores!!

shurur

Established Member
just looking at pics of the manual and automatic radiators seems to show the manual radiator has a large space at the bottom of the radiator core open before the lower mount posts...leaving room for the Automatic cooling core below it.. So fan should clear fine!!

oops..I see the cooler is on the side of the radiator..sorry!!

Last edited:

WonderWarthog

Elder Dude
Thanks for the replies.
"I think the 96 cobra had a different radiator than the 97-98, but can't remember why."​
That's what I've seen. Compatible models starting with '97.
"One clue might be whether the fans for the Automatic and Manual GTs are different part numbers (which I doubt) AND whether the fan part number for the Cobra and GT are the same."​
Good idea, although I don't actually have parts manuals and have to rely on the intertubes to show diagrams.

WonderWarthog

Elder Dude
shurur: I'd seen these fan assemblies and thought they were an after-market technique meant to make fitting more universal, but which used the existing shroud. After cross-referencing, I went back out and checked the construction again. Don't know what I thought I'd seen before, on more than one occasion, but there is no shroud, and the fan is identical to all the referenced examples. Consequently, the driver's side fan mounting, the side with any a/t fittings, is not an issue - the fan would attach between them. Ta flipping da. Now to choose a (double core max) radiator.
Thanks for all the responses. I've not gotten any replies from manufacturers or retailers, so this is currently the radiator wiki site.

Users who are viewing this thread