Radiator fan died

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
I was pulling into my condo's garage today and thought I ran over something when I heard a quick pop or crack type sound as if running over a piece of wood or something. The car still ran fine but started making a racket, ticking like crazy. I actually thought I broke a belt or a pulley went or something. After taking off the supercharger belt and still hearing the noise, I started poking around and the noise really seemed like it was coming from the fan. It wasn't affected by engine RPM, and when pushing on the fan housing the sound would change tone as if affected by the pushing... so I pulled the fuse for it and sure enough, the noise went away. Plugged the fuse back in and sure enough it can back. It's definitely toast.

I found a thread talking about this model here as a replacement. Just curious if anyone has any experience with this model, or is it really worth another ~$180 to get the motorcraft one? Or maybe there is another one entirely that I should look at?

Also, it looks pretty easy to drop the fan assembly out bottom... is there anything in particular I should look out for when doing it?

wheelhopper

Established Member
That happened to my fan with about 8K miles on it. The piece of plastic cracked that connected one fan blade to another. I replaced it with another Ford unit and have had no problems since. I also kept the cracked one. I figured I could sandwich the plastic piece between a couple strips of sheetmetal and mend it together for use in my fox body at a later time. It did make a hell of a lot of racket when it cracked.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Yeah I haven't gotten it out yet and I couldn't tell from the top exactly what the damage was, but given that it did make some sort of snap or crack sound when it went, it might be a similar failure.

Users who are viewing this thread