Radiator cap leaking out of pressure relief-help

03CobraVertGrey

Screamin Banshee
Established Member
Radiator cap leaking -help

Took a short drive today to run an errand and on the way home I start smelling that unmistakable coolant smell. Pull in my driveway and pop the hood and see that coolant has leaked somewhere but hard to tell from where.

I waited for it to cool down a bit and pulled the cap and the resevoir was about 2/3 empty. So, I fill it up with the special Ford yellow coolant and start it up and run it for about 10-15 min and no leaks. I went for another short drive and start smelling the coolant again and I also notice that the fan is coming on sooner and it immediately kicks up to a higher speed. My temp gauge is right in the middle where it usually is.

Get back home and shut it down and it is evident there is new moisture around the top of the radiator and down inside near the shroud and on the hoses. Again let it cool down and the resevoir is low again. This time I fill it up and start it and let it run with the cap off. Pretty soon the fan comes on and kicks to the higher speed. Then the coolant starts gradually coming up (expanding) and so I quickly put the cap on. I let it run a bit and as I am looking around coolant starts coming out the cap thru the pressure relief hole at a pretty good rate so I shut it down and fill it up and it does it again.

My first thought was that the system got too low and there is steam in the system that is burping out. However, I have had no leaks on my garage floor and no smell until today.:shrug: And the resevoir always had something in it.

Can anyone help me out?

Last edited:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
2 things.
First, you "may" need a new cap. They have been known to fail, usually after overheating.

Second, you need to burp the cooling system. Burp.

Good luck.

klarkent42

Man of Steel
Established Member
unfortunately, i had the same issue as you. i can tell you from my experience, you probably have a blown head gasket. as a result of this gasket issue, there is probably an exaust leak directly in to your cooling system, vaporizing your coolant. you caught it just in time. once most of the coolant was vaporized, your car would have began to overheat. check if there is white smoke coming from the pipes as well. also, check your spark plugs and see if there are some that have more wear than others (im guessing #7 and #8 will be worn the worst).

epfalzer

Established Member
klarkent42 said:
unfortunately, i had the same issue as you. i can tell you from my experience, you probably have a blown head gasket. as a result of this gasket issue, there is probably an exaust leak directly in to your cooling system, vaporizing your coolant. you caught it just in time. once most of the coolant was vaporized, your car would have began to overheat. check if there is white smoke coming from the pipes as well. also, check your spark plugs and see if there are some that have more wear than others (im guessing #7 and #8 will be worn the worst).

Wow! Calm down there chances are it is not a blown head gasket and I will put money on it. Why does everyone jump to the worst case on this site. Sometimes I feel like forums are like playing a huge game of Telephone!!!! First thing replace the cap they are POS's then make sure you burp the system and you can find info all over this site on how to do that. If you have any questions PM me and you can give me a call and I'll help you out.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
when you have the tstat out, drill a couple 1/8" holes in the outer flange of the thermostat itself. doing this will let a little water through even if it sticks shut (which is what I think happened to you). It will help keep air bubbles from getting stuck on either side of the thermostat, too.

i'm on my 3rd overflow tank cap. they're not that great.

mod motors generally dont lose head gaskets. super duper gaskets, and a mirror finish on the heads and block deck surface, see to that.

Users who are viewing this thread