Radar

FriscoCobra

Established Member
How often do you guys really use the radar gun to get people? Is it used on Highways? What is the typical type of radar used ? Last Question Do you guys pull lots of people over that have radar detectors enabled in their vehicles?

Just out of curiosity

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
That is a lot of questions in just a short Paragraph!.... Here goes..

1. Radar is used very often to "get people". It's the second part of your speeding citation the confirmation of speed part. In WI, I have to guess how fast your going +/- 5Mph then go from there. The Radar just Confirms my guesstimation.

2. Yes it's used on Highways. It's not like were doing paperwork or eating lunch all the time. Sometimes, we actually do work :)

3. Type? Brand? Model?? It all varies. Most places use K, KA, X, or Lidar. Most common is X, and K.

4. No more than people that dont have them. It's much more fun to drive behind then turning the Radar on then off, on, then off. After a few times in a minute or so... They start to tap the radar detector thinking it's broken. It's also fun at night to sit in the Shadows with the Radar off, and wait for a car to get to the "Vision point." The point where all the other cars start to brake because they see you. Watch the head lights come and about 300ft before they hit the Vision Point and turn the Radar on. Talk about pucker Factor. It's not legal grounds to pull them over, as the Radar was not test prior to use.... but it's fun at 3am. LOL

FriscoCobra

Established Member
Lawfficer said:

1. Radar is used very often to "get people". It's the second part of your speeding citation the confirmation of speed part. In WI, I have to guess how fast your going +/- 5Mph then go from there. The Radar just Confirms my guesstimation.

2. Yes it's used on Highways. It's not like were doing paperwork or eating lunch all the time. Sometimes, we actually do work :)

3. Type? Brand? Model?? It all varies. Most places use K, KA, X, or Lidar. Most common is X, and K.

4. No more than people that dont have them. It's much more fun to drive behind then turning the Radar on then off, on, then off. After a few times in a minute or so... They start to tap the radar detector thinking it's broken. It's also fun at night to sit in the Shadows with the Radar off, and wait for a car to get to the "Vision point." The point where all the other cars start to brake because they see you. Watch the head lights come and about 300ft before they hit the Vision Point and turn the Radar on. Talk about pucker Factor. It's not legal grounds to pull them over, as the Radar was not test prior to use.... but it's fun at 3am. LOL

LOL That's Funny and thanks for the response. :-D

Ballistik8

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Yea thats funny, but most cops would pull you over from where Im from anyways. Have you ever pulled someone over for road racing? And, can you legally pull someone over if your radar is NOT on and you see him hit the brakes (sending his tail end up in the air)?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
my brother is in the sac pd. he is not even qualified on the radar gun yet. i dont even think he wants to. he likes the action and wants bigger fish to fry. that doesnt mean he will not pull you over if your in violation of the speed codes though. as mentioned in a previous thread, most of the time you find out thier was a reason he/she was speeding. stolen car, drugs, wants and warrents for arrest, etc.
also highway patrol is famous for hanging back 1/2 to 1 mile just pacing the speeding vehicles. another trick is time and distance. you take this much time to pass this much distance and they have your speed. just because you have a detector that works well does not mean you will not get caught. drive smart out there.

incedently i use the pni silver bullet detector, and it works great. :burnout:

xason

10 seconds isn't cheap
Established Member
I have a question. Say for example a driver has a radar but a police officer is sitting in his squad car waiting at a stop light and all of a sudden vroooooom you KNOW he's speeding right past you, you don't even need to use a radar. So you pull him over, but the driver says that there is no proof that he was speeding, Could he fight the ticket? I thought Police Officers could only pull over and ticket speeders after getting caught on the radar?

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
Lawfficer said:

Im still "on-the scene training"...but yeah I can't wait till I do all that...lol...well if I get bored... :D

GOOD TIMES GOOD TIMES!!! :beer:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
xason said:
I have a question. Say for example a driver has a radar but a police officer is sitting in his squad car waiting at a stop light and all of a sudden vroooooom you KNOW he's speeding right past you, you don't even need to use a radar. So you pull him over, but the driver says that there is no proof that he was speeding, Could he fight the ticket? I thought Police Officers could only pull over and ticket speeders after getting caught on the radar?

long paragragh for a straight foward question huh. i dont know all the rules, help me out law enforcement, but i will answer the best i can.
when an officer sees a speeding vehicle(a car/truck driving faster than the flow of traffic) or a vehicle in which he percieves as driving recklessly(wandering in the lane, high/low rates of speed, sliding in and out of traffic like they are on a slalom course) they can pull you over and give you a citation. heck i have heard stories about cops pulling people over to compliment them on their car.
back to the point, yes you may fight any sitation. sometimes you will win, most of the time you will lose provided the officer has his stuff together. they are not the enemy however. they are on the streets to provide safety and security to everybody, and i would say 99% of the time you get pulled over their is a great reason for it. be courtious, and patient, if you disagree with the citation then go ahead and fight it.

pwnt04

Frickin' Ladies Man
Established Member
xason said:

Most likely the officer would flip on the radar as you went past to lock your speed. If he didn't, he'd probably pull you over and hand you a wreckless driving or exhibition of speed ticket.

Radar is not required to give out a speeding ticket. If an officer is following behind you pacing your speed, he can give you a ticket without ever turning on his radar.

Last edited:

Floridalawdog

Established Member
Most of the guys I work with dont leave the radars on. They sit and watch, until they have a visual estimate of how fast you are going and then shoot the radar. At that point even with a radar detector, it is too late, because the feedback is instant.

Also in Florida you can be stopped for speed without being caught on radar. One way is to be paced. The police cars have their speedos calibrated every 6 months.
Also when you go to radar school you do like 500 logged visual estimates of speeds on cars. You must be within 5 mph. Then after you finish school you can visually estimate a speed and it will hold up. But its gotta be good. mLike 70 mph in a 35 mph zone. You weould lose if you tried 40 in a 35 mph in court.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Have you guys ever had a situation where you instant on a car with a detector, he slams on the brakes, and the car behind hits him? It's a reflex action to slam on the brakes when the detector goes off and it's difficult to avoid doing that when you are suddenly hit with radar or especially laser [even if you aren't speeding].

Mach Daddy

Life Is Mach1derful !!!
Established Member

Hey, Want03Cobra. I love this pic. It's toooooooo cool. :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

03cobrainterceptorresize.gif

Floridalawdog

Established Member
Ive never had that happen but it is funny to watch the people with radars headlights take a nose dive at night when you turn the unit on.

Mach Daddy

Life Is Mach1derful !!!
Established Member

Floridalawdog said:
Ive never had that happen but it is funny to watch the people with radars headlights take a nose dive at night when you turn the unit on.

I guess it depends on your perspective. I can hear Roy D. Mercer say, "Now, it ain't that funny". :pop:

Jordan_J

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
when an officer sees a speeding vehicle(a car/truck driving faster than the flow of traffic) or a vehicle in which he percieves as driving recklessly(wandering in the lane, high/low rates of speed, sliding in and out of traffic like they are on a slalom course) they can pull you over and give you a citation. heck i have heard stories about cops pulling people over to compliment them on their car.

This happened to a friend of mine, we were going down one of the busiest roads where I live and my friend was in a Vette behind my friends Caddy well he started to pass us so my friend floored his Caddy messin around, then the other guy floored his Vette and got in front of us. Well a cop a few cars back didn't like that so he pulled Adam over, he gave him a warning though. It might of had something to do with him "accidently" pulling out his Military ID. But I think we were doing 80 and he was easily passing us, but the Cop gave him a warning for wreckless driving/exhibition of speed.

Adam told us (the Vette owner) that when the cop came up he asked why he was speeding besides the fact he's driving a Corvette.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Jordan_J said:
It might of had something to do with him "accidently" pulling out his Military ID. But I think we were doing 80 and he was easily passing us, but the Cop gave him a warning for wreckless driving/exhibition of speed.

Adam told us (the Vette owner) that when the cop came up he asked why he was speeding besides the fact he's driving a Corvette.

yea my brother tell me thats the nice thing about a badge. he calls it a brass pass. its called respect, and the guys in blue know its something one can only earn. both the military and law enforcement put their lives on the line every single day just to protect the rest of us. MANY THANKS! :bowdown: :beer:

Lawman85

Banned
flyn high again said:
Have you guys ever had a situation where you instant on a car with a detector, he slams on the brakes, and the car behind hits him? It's a reflex action to slam on the brakes when the detector goes off and it's difficult to avoid doing that when you are suddenly hit with radar or especially laser [even if you aren't speeding].

Never had that happen, but I would write the guy behind him for following too close also... lol....

Speed stops are excellent investigation stops, you never know whay you are going to find. I've made tons of DUI arrests, and also drugs, suspended license, wanted people and I've found a few missing persons too.

You don't always use the radar just to get someone going over the speed limit. If it's 3a.m. and you clock someone driving 30 in a 45mph on a 4 lane road, odds are they are drunk. I pull out and follow them and wait on a violation (i.e. weaving, wide turns, excessive brakes) and make the stop, 95% of the time they are DUI.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
yea my brother tell me thats the nice thing about a badge. he calls it a brass pass. its called respect, and the guys in blue know its something one can only earn. both the military and law enforcement put their lives on the line every single day just to protect the rest of us. MANY THANKS! :bowdown: :beer:

That is interesting because most agencies tell their L.E.O.'s not to show their badge or creds during a traffic stop unless it is related to the stop.

Gaining influence/benefit by producing your creds/badge with my agency is a no no and can result in an IA investigation.

When I get stopped I give them my license and whatever else they ask for and take whatever lumps I deserve.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Floridalawdog said:
Most of the guys I work with dont leave the radars on. They sit and watch, until they have a visual estimate of how fast you are going and then shoot the radar. At that point even with a radar detector, it is too late, because the feedback is instant.

How does that work? Maybe it's just a difference in state laws, but up here that dosen't fly. You have to check the unit with the Forks before you run radar and after. You can't leave it off, then turn it on and run someone. They would toss that out due to lack of Pre-Citation calibration confirmation.

Users who are viewing this thread