Radar detector

DaSweed

Missin' 2
Established Member
I was curious about this since I got one, so here goes.

When I put my radar detector on my windshield, where can I legally place it? Is it legal to have it behind the rear view mirror (with the idea that it won't impair my vision)? Or is it just something that needs to be gone?

Thanks

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Put her down at the bottom. It should be out of your way and should still be able to detect radar just fine.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
ford_racer said:
Put her down at the bottom. It should be out of your way and should still be able to detect radar just fine.
I would put it right dead center in the middle of the windshield. This is especially true for models like the Valentine 1 that also have a rear facing sensor. The rear facing sensor needs a direct line of sight through your rear window to be the most effective.

One other note people... when mounting your radar detector make sure it's LEVEL! Nothing funnier than seeing someone driving down the road and their radar detector it pointing towards the heavens or down at the dash/hood. This seriously reduces its range and ability to detect signals as early as possible.

U.M.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Most states have laws that address blocking the view of the driver by adding items to the windshield. That is why people can be ticketed for things hanging from their rearview mirror.

I would suggest, if it is legal to possess the radar detector in your state, place it somewhere on the windshield where it does not interfere with your clear view of the road.

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
I place mine on the visor..Since the design of the roofline somewhat conceals the detector's presence..So that when I AM pulled over,I'm more inclined to get a break for what ever the observed infraction was.& I usually do get let off...Plus..I dont drive like I have a detector.I've had one for so long I know what it can & can't do..& have a pretty good idea of what traffic enforcment is capable of & tactics used..Plus it helps that I know the area.

DaSweed

Missin' 2
Established Member
Thanks for the tips. I am not a crazy speeder, I just use it because I always go 5 over, it just seems more suitable. Plus, it does no good unless in a group or near a group of cars, that way I can catch the signal before its on me.

I have it mounted right in the middle right now because I was thinking it would easily catch signals from various directions. I am thinking of moving it down by the wiper blades, but I don't want it to lack detection.

I guess I just shouldn't speed...

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I use my radar detector more to let me know where the police are, since I don't drive (on average) any faster with it, than without..

but figure if you do have one, that it's your "warning" and you will receive a ticket from a LEO if your pulled over for speeding..

mongo57988

Established Member
I work for a city in tennessee, and we just got a new toy that hides from radar detectors, besides they can only catch signal if you transmit, i just hide then hit the button when i need it LOL, the world is a cruel cruel place

cobra04972tx1

HP, U CAN'T HAVE 2 MUCH
Established Member
mongo57988 said:
I work for a city in tennessee, and we just got a new toy that hides from radar detectors, besides they can only catch signal if you transmit, i just hide then hit the button when i need it LOL, the world is a cruel cruel place
You suck..LOL! I keep hoping for that deflected signal off the poor noob ahead of me and my V-1 tells me you're there;-) .

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I usually mount mine about half way up from the dash to the rear view or I suppose about a third of the way up. When you're using a Valentine, it only makes sense to mount it at least up that high because you're going to want the rear antenna to have a clear view of the road behind you or else you're not getting full usage of its capability. Tell the truth, though my V1 can pick up some radar at a few hundred feet even with it in the floor board.

Off topic a bit...does anyone else get a good chuckle at seeing people driving around with their garden-variety radar detectors pointing skyward? That cracks me up everytime I see that.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
One other thing to consider.

If your car has a tinted stripe at the top of the windshield it will lower the distance that you will detect laser. And if the stripe is impregnated with metal particles (some of them are) it will really lower the detectors ability to detect radar. One of the big car magazines (c&d or R&T) found that the Lexus had a stripe that cut the detection distance by 80%.

Users who are viewing this thread