Rack question?

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Hi,

One of the two rubber ends of the rack was broken so I replaced it with an OEM part. When it came, it only brought the rubber cover, nothing else (no clamps).

This is the right side with the stock rubber cover:

It has a metal pressure clamp that holds it firm.

This is how the left side looks like (the new one):

It doesn't have a a clamp. The shop didn't install the stock clamp.

Can I leave it like that? Will it do any harm? It has a little bit of freeplay when I push it with my hand.

I can't find a clamp like the original one.

Maybe I can use some tie wraps. Or a hose clamp like this one:
hseclmppic8gi.jpg

What do you guys think?

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
What Shelby said. And he has me laughing my ass off...what a great way to express it to the shop. But all they are going to do is what you thought of...toss a clamp or zip tie on it.

Charles236

Established Member
Yes, a hose clamp would work as well as the stock type squeeze clamp, but I would expect the shop to install the correct clamp. If the new rack boot didn't come with one, the original could have been reused with no problem. I would not use a tie wrap for this application, if you don't want to go back to the shop, at least use a hose clamp.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
I will use a hose clamp 'cause I don't know that the shop did with the original clamp.

Any particular size for the hose clamp? Any specific measure? Thanks.

Charles236

Established Member
The hose clamp would have to be small, I don't know the exact size, but I'm thinking that one that will fit around a 1 inch to 1 1/4 inches hose would fit about right.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Thanks!

I've just remembered that I still have the old rubber cover. I will take it with me to the auto parts store to be sure it fits.

Users who are viewing this thread