Rack and Pinion Problem! Please Help!

dragracingfreak

Bowtie Killer
Established Member
I was driving car Sunday and I went in a parking lot and making a turn into a parking spot and suddenly I heard and felt a loud bang or pop, and then my girlfriend said something was leaking from my car. I became hard to steer and the brakes weren't working great. I backed up and seen it was power steering fluid. And it wasn't really squirting out like if it was a line but it is just running out. I will attach a video and let you see. And my car has got a mm starter suspinsion kit, I didn't put it on and I don't know if this kit lowers the car much or not but I would say a little bit compared to other cobras I've seen. The reason I brought this up is because I've heard others with somewhat this problem after lowering their car. I seen a post on another forum yesterday and a guy had the same problem and he said is rack basically blew. Anyways here's the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMNNDVt9nxA

Last edited:

dragracingfreak

Bowtie Killer
Established Member
Yeah I got the rack out this morning and it has a 5-6 inch long crack in it. The thing is that oil pan was rubbing against the rack so I suppose it made the rack wear out quicker, the pan is fine though. Would the motor mounts be wore out and be letting the motor sag on the rack? I'm thinking about buying polyurethane motor mounts and shimming the engine up away from the rack too.

Users who are viewing this thread