Racing the 93

Mach&Roll

Established Member
Alright I have a mostly stock 93 cobra and was wondering if it is going to be good enough to autocross with. I would add subframe connectors and maybe new lower control arms. I am not looking for much just want to have some fun next summer. I have been driving the cobra a lot lately and it feels strong and solid. What are a few other cheaper things that can help the car out. All it has right now is a bbk h pipe with magnaflow cats, flowmaster catback and k&n filter. Thanks in advance.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Alright I have a mostly stock 93 cobra and was wondering if it is going to be good enough to autocross with. I would add subframe connectors and maybe new lower control arms. I am not looking for much just want to have some fun next summer. I have been driving the cobra a lot lately and it feels strong and solid. What are a few other cheaper things that can help the car out. All it has right now is a bbk h pipe with magnaflow cats, flowmaster catback and k&n filter. Thanks in advance.

autocross is more about control and handling than it is about horsepower. so ALL your initial money should go to those areas. There are some good mustang guys doing pretty well in the autocross world and the 93s are good candidates.

there is an autocross forum, I would suggest you post this there or ask the mods to move this. those guys do it every year and will be able to give you current thinking on mustangs and autocross.

Mach&Roll

Established Member
Thanks I will see what else there is. It will have to be low buck racing for awhile.

jfsram

Established Member
I am not looking for much just want to have some fun next summer. .

My advice is to enter the car AS IS and see for yourself where you want the improvement.

Being 20 years into drag racing. I tried both autocross and road racing in the last couple of years.
From autocrossing, the only immediate upgrade I'd make is tires. Beyond that you are crossing from trying it for fun to into it.
For road racing, brakes.

vuzikis

Established Member
Mach&Roll

I just bot a 93 cobra pretty much bone stock like yours with only exhaust mods and sub-frames. I am going to keeping the car pretty much stock but did make some improvements so that next summer I can take it to a few track days. This is what I changed and would be good for your car as well. The sub-frames on my car were crap so I replaces with MM long subs, MM SS brake lines, MM brake caliper sleeves and hawk pads. Those mods made a huge difference for around $500-$600. Just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread