Racing Sport Axleback Exhaust - I am in love!

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
Ford Racing Sport Axleback Exhaust - I am in love!

If the Youtube embed below doesnt work, here is the direct link: YouTube - Ford Racing axleback 2011 Mustang 5.0

[youtube_browser]PMA9QKlrl8s[/youtube_browser]

Yesterday provided a great opportunity for a long drive in my 5.0. What a great day! Due to my errands, trips and stops, I had the pleasure of driving with the Ford Racing Axleback through the NY Midtown tunnel, the short tunnel connecting the FDR and West Side hwy, and the Lincoln tunnel.

The car just howls in the most monstrous way. Its not obnoxious, but there no more doubt in anyone's mind that this 5.0 means business. The sound is so raw, yet very refined. it really rumbles under 3000 rpm. and barks like a rottweiler above 3500 rpm

Idle: the car sounds fantasic when you turn on the ignition. an initial bark that mellows to a lions pur.

Around town: just awesome. its going to turn heads as you pass by. I literally heard from people walking across the street
"Wow"
"woah"
"Damn!"
"that sounds sick"
"mommy I want that car when i get my license"

I have owned many after market exhaust ranging from header back, custom designed with Maganflow piping, GHL, Corsa, etc etc. All were very expensive. Some sounded great, some sucked.

By far, this simple axle-back from Ford Racing, made by Borla to Ford Racing specs, has given me the best sounding car I have ever owned, and rivals almost any street going car, I have ever heard.

To me it is that good! Going through Lincoln tunnel it sounded like thunder.

I can't get over how good the car sounds. I would have paid double for the muffler, if i knew. And the cherry on top is there is no drone at any speed, any rpm. Girlfriend and mother approved.

photo-786293.JPG

Last edited:

Whocares05050

Established Member
Sounds pretty good. That is until you add race headers, cat deletes, xpipe, and all 3 inch cat back piping. Then i would go a different route. If thats not your plans for the car, then i would keep the axle back they sound pretty good. Not so much with the above mods.

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
Sounds pretty good. That is until you add race headers, cat deletes, xpipe, and all 3 inch cat back piping. Then i would go a different route. If thats not your plans for the car, then i would keep the axle back they sound pretty good. Not so much with the above mods.

Do you have any other changes to the exhaust?

The axleback is the only exhaust change I have done. No other bolt on other than drop in K&N Air filter.

Since right now this is my daily driver, I dont plan to upgrade any other exhaust parts. Next will be supercharger. However, once I can move this 5.0 to weekend only duty, I would prob upgrade to a catted header back, x pipe, catback solution. But for daily driving this is perfect for me.

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
Here is the interior drive video. Sorry about the hissing noise. My digital camera doesnt have the best mic.

Best part of the video is at the 2:10 marker.
Direct link in case embed doesn't work:: http://youtu.be/nkTUe5VQ5dc

[youtube_browser]nkTUe5VQ5dc[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
The axleback is the only exhaust change I have done. No other bolt on other than drop in K&N Air filter.

Since right now this is my daily driver, I dont plan to upgrade any other exhaust parts. Next will be supercharger. However, once I can move this 5.0 to weekend only duty, I would prob upgrade to a catted header back, x pipe, catback solution. But for daily driving this is perfect for me.

It sounds good. I was thinking about the GT500 mufflers for mine, but might have to consider these.

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
It sounds good. I was thinking about the GT500 mufflers for mine, but might have to consider these.

I would use the ford racing sound clip as the most true.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/Parts...5230-MGTLA.swf

If you were thinking gt500 for guarantee of no drone, I can confirm this unit also has zero drone in any situation. You wont regret it.

"From the March, 2011 issue of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords

...once I turned the key and the Coyote immediately barked its current location coordinates to most of Dearborn through FRPP's new (M-5230-MGTLA) Sport axle-back exhaust kit. So now Smoky didn't even need to see me to hunt me down.
But after spending a few urban and freeway hours in their sonic embrace, I have to confess that even as the recognized curmudgeonly old fart around these pages, I've just flat fallen in love with these mellifluous mufflers, which are pretty vocal without being obnoxious in any way. They are not boom boxes (they seem to sing in a higher octave), nor do they drone at all on the highway. On lifting the throttle, they emit a playful cackling back-off burble the likes of which I haven't heard since prior to the days of catalytic converters. Windows down or up, they are truly symphonic, but like this car's graphics, not exactly stealthy. "​

Here is what Jason Reiss, NMRA Associate Editor, said about this axleback, "
The exhaust has a mellow tone, but when you are into the throttle it gets a bit more aggressive. It’s certainly not overpowering, in fact it’s just right in my eyes." Perks Of The Job! | RacePages Blog

Terminator_NJ

Established Member

That was where i ordered mine from. I actually called ford racing as the pic on their catalog matches the pic you linked to. FRP confirmed the pic was taken at a very bad angle or the pic was wrong. and the muffler was in fact the rectangular shape.

They should look like
2ik6qnr.jpg

Ford Racing Performance Parts

ViciousJay

Established Member
BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHA $700 for sound? thats a joke!!!!!!!!!! sounds good but not $700 good.... my american thunder sounds close to that for half the price

AmnDucky

Established Member
BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHA $700 for sound? thats a joke!!!!!!!!!! sounds good but not $700 good.... my american thunder sounds close to that for half the price

Yeah, that's quite a hefty price. I'm not willing to drop that kind of dough until I know what they sounds like on different mid-pipes.

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
Wait what? Are you saying the mufflers gave 75 rwhp? I'll believe that when pigs fly.

Of course not. I was just jabbing re the comment of too much for no gain.

They prob add zero. But to me sound is important. Better sound and no Hp is better than drone and or too high pitched with 10 Hp gain. But that's just me.

My next mod will be a supercharger at low psi. I am sure there will be folks who say, waste of money to only boost 7-8 psi and I should go up. I am not to worried about squeezing every Hp I can per dollar. Just building my def of perfect 5.0

I posted to share my purchase and help others research. To be honest I think muffler deletes doesn't sound anything close to my setup. Or else I would have gotten muffler deletes.

Last edited:

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
are these diff than the gt500 axlebacks? and why

My understanding is that the gt500 axleback is 50 state legal whereas the m-5230-MGTLA is 49 state legal. Assume that means the one s I got are a little louder.

I would recommend giving ford racing a call direct with part numbers

Users who are viewing this thread