Racing Seat Inclination

DocB

Established Member
I have a big 3 day track weekend coming up and could use some help from the experienced. This will be my second official serious track outing, and the first in the car below. First day is a track day run by NASA, and the next 2 days are Driving School. I am new to this and my question is regarding seat positioning. I will be spending alot of time in this seat.

I will be driving an 08 Mustang GT based vehicle with Ford Racing Sparco seats for the first time on track. The seats are somewhat adjustable with 4 bolts in regards to inclination, but it is kind of a pain to do, so I would like to have it as close as possible before I get to the track. The seats themselves slope quite a bit toward the rear and I usually don't like driving laying down(or back). The front of the seat bottom seems to press against my thighs and I fear may get in the way of pedal work. My plan was to tip them forward as much as possible.

Although it is understood that one should position the seat so it feels good and comfortable, is this the best position for track driving?

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
a 08 mustang gt based vehicle? is this a mustang gt or is this a race car? if a race car is it a miller car or fr500s car?

my best advice i can give you is to find your comfort zone in the seat available. my race car seating and my street car position are totally different. i have a racetech seat in my car. the ford racing sparco is too large and the omp and momo's are too tight.

find a position where you aer basically comfortable and just realize you will have to adjust. there is no way to pretest what your body will feel like under actual loading on the race track

Sirl

Established Member
Unfortunately, there is not short cut to "trial and error" when it comes to installing a fixed back seat.

Once you get it close, you can use washers to raise or lower, according to what feels best.

DocB

Established Member
Thanks for the tips. I will proceed as suggested. For the future I will keep different manufacturers seat sizes in mind. I mentioned the 08 Mustang GT based vehicle to explain the seat rail mounting configuration.

Don't want to spill the beans until after next weekend, but let's just say that it didn't come from Ford with an interior.

That's why all the racing specific questions as of late and all your help is greatly appreciated.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
spill the beans? it always makes me laugh when guys want to keep a new car a secret.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
spill the beans? it always makes me laugh when guys want to keep a new car a secret

to a bunch of guys on a mustang forum that dont even know you. :beer:

secrets out now. spill it! ;-):rockon:

SeikenFreak

2 Scoops
Established Member
Which event you going to? I see your in jersey?

I remember my first event last year at jersey some people showed up with a (I believe) brand new FR500S.. A kid was going to drive it and it was his first time out in it.

First or second session he smacked it into a wall.

Heres the before.. Unfortunately I don't have an after.

TrackDazeJune30th2011088.jpg

Last edited:

David Hester

Established Member
Seat position in very personal, but I like the front of the seat as high as possible. Not high enough to cut off circulation in my legs with my foot on dead pedal, but higher than the rear to keep my butt planted. I use a Kirkey with 20 degree layback, that I used in a Fox body.

Last edited:

NVR2L8

Established Member
Your seat should be comfortable for your legs, but it is suggested that your arms are bent 90 degrees at the elbow for best steering input. Adjust forward to get best arm position possible.

The Kirkey Series 47 road racing seat is a 15 degree layback.

Remember, as a new driver, you will spend most of your time in the same gear, usually 3rd or 4th (depending on the car), so your pedal action is mainly gas and brake.

Trial and trial again. I don't like to use the word "error" when talking about road racing.

:beer:

wheelhopper

Established Member
My guess is your doing the SCMC event Memorial weekend.

I set my seat so it is comfortable buy also gives puts me in a place where I can easily reach the pedals and control the steering wheel in any situation. I tend to sit closer to the steering wheel and more upright in my track car than I do in my street car. Remember there is no leaning forward a little with a 5 point harness on, unlike a regular seat belt.

DocB

Established Member
Got the seats tipped forward and feel great. Thanks for the input.
A pic for you fellas, as requested. It's the only one I have right now.
WGonTrailer.jpg

DocB

Established Member
Yes it does. And the side brackets have multiple holes for inclination adjustment.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
its all trial and error. seat position can be a very personal thing.
i am 5-6. so i sit close to the wheel. i like to have the steering wheel close, so i sit
closer yet. i sit as low in the car as i can.

i have never really payed any attention to the recline angle as its something
that i never notice or easily adjust to from seat to seat and car to car.

nice car...btw. those are nice, if heavy, little race cars.

may i ask what you paid for it? i still want one for myself at somepoint

Users who are viewing this thread