Raced Some Rice . . . Subaru

Jerky

Sum Sum Bling Bling
Established Member
I was driving home last night around 8:30pm and here comes this black Subaru . . . I think it was a Legacy (4 door). It came complete with the fart box and all the goodies. First he goes for this Honda that was a little behind me, but the Honda wouldn't race him, then he comes up to me. We are going about 40. He comes up to me and we pause for a second . . . then Wham! We let her rip. I've got about a car on him, and then I hear his tires spin a little and here he comes. I think that he pulls a little ahead and we stop at the next light. There is smoke and all sorts stuff coming from his engine and wheels. He says, "it's my brakes." I ask him what he's got and he says "Turbo, exhaust, and some other stuff." I say I'm stock and she's pretty new (got her less than a month ago). The light turns green and I say, "how bout from a stop?" We go for it. I've got him by at least 2-3 car lengths by 50mph, then again . . . his tires spin a little and here he comes. Needless to say, that was way to late. Had him by 5 lengths by 80. We do one more from about 20mph roll. We both gun it and stay almost neck-to-neck. I get about 1/2 a car length then traffic is ahead and we slow down. I turn down the next major road and he fly's through the intersection. . . (it was a dead end, so I have no idea where he was going).

What do you guys think he had under there? His car was very fast.

Thank God for 390hp :coolman: or I would have been toast!

I-R-BABOON

Got Hose?
Established Member
Gotta watch out for the soobies they can be fast. I bet it would have been a liitle closer but he didnt sound like he could drive

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
You'll find a lot of AWD forced-induction Subarus on the road nowadays and many of 'em aren't just grocery-getters...lol Quite a few in the low-13's and it doesn't take a whole lot for them to get there.

GOOD KILL! :beer: Sounds like it was fun.

Jerky

Sum Sum Bling Bling
Established Member
This may be the most stupid question asked ever, but is there a way to tell if a car has NOS or not?

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
Originally posted by I-R-BABOON
Yeah when you shoot at it someone yells NOOOOOOOOOOOSSSS and it blows the F*** up
:lol: LMAO...you're on a roll today, huh I-R? :thumbsup:

If you can look under the hood of the car you'll see the solenoids, but if you can't see under the hood hopefully the person is arrogant enough to purge right in front of you. So, if they have a purge valve they may clear their nitrous lines (and show off), in which case you'll see a spray shoot into the sky and it looks like a little cloud (pretty darn cool actually :) ).

If they want to be 'sleepers' then they won't purge and they won't let you near the hood. In that case the only way to tell is when they make up a lot of ground REALLY fast or they start to pull away OUT OF NO WHERE.

If they spray throughout the race (and from the start) I don't know of anyway to tell. One clue, however, is you race 'em again and all of a sudden its not even a match...lol That would mean they ran out of the 'funny stuff'...hehe :burnout:

I-R-BABOON

Got Hose?
Established Member
Originally posted by zzzzzer
:lol: LMAO...you're on a roll today, huh I-R? :thumbsup:

If you can look under the hood of the car you'll see the solenoids, but if you can't see under the hood hopefully the person is arrogant enough to purge right in front of you. So, if they have a purge valve they may clear their nitrous lines (and show off), in which case you'll see a spray shoot into the sky and it looks like a little cloud (pretty darn cool actually :) ).

If they want to be 'sleepers' then they won't purge and they won't let you near the hood. In that case the only way to tell is when they make up a lot of ground REALLY fast or they start to pull away OUT OF NO WHERE.

If they spray throughout the race (and from the start) I don't know of anyway to tell. One clue, however, is you race 'em again and all of a sudden its not even a match...lol That would mean they ran out of the 'funny stuff'...hehe :burnout:

Doin it GANGSTA' style:D

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
Originally posted by Jerky
This may be the most stupid question asked ever, but is there a way to tell if a car has NOS or not?

usually, most people have their nitrous setup for WOT throttle. So you'll hear the car accelerate, and most of the time when the N2o activates when the pedal hits the floor, it will sound like the engine jumps 3K rpms.

Jerky

Sum Sum Bling Bling
Established Member
Thanks! That makes sense. . . that will also cause wheel spin as well right; even in third or whenever they go WOT or push to button or whatever right?

blk96SVT

Established Member
Will definitely cause wheelspin if they dont have some sticky tires. An extra 100 to whatever horsepower all of the sudden is pretty crazy. As soon as they are at WOT the nitrous is triggered and then watch out!

Tim

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
well, if its an AWD - I doubt a 100 shot will get the tires to spin. I also doubt he's running a turbo with a 100shot on such a small engine. When you started adding chemicals to forced induction - things get hecktic.

98SVT_eats_rice

Established Member
I seriously doubt it was his "brakes". :dw:

What color was the smoke? That might help figure things out.

I agree that AWD shouldn't be spinning tires when already running but if he had bad tread and then sprayed that could cause it. Maybe the smoke was a purge and he was just bs'ing you.

Either way, NOS or not, good kill!

Users who are viewing this thread