Raced a supercar lately?

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
It always fun to see some unusual looking sports car on the road and give it a run. I had such an experience yesterday. I was driving along on a back road and saw about 150 yards in front of me a black car, very low to the ground, with what looked like 315’s for the back tires. I drove up behind it to see what it was. From the rear, I first I thought it was a kit car because of its unique shape and paint which was not too good. The rear end had a square appearance almost like a vette. The way it rode also showed it had a very stiff suspension. The fenders were flared out over the tires and the low slung spoiler wing from side to side was actually what gave it a square appearance. I’d never seen anything like it. I pulled up closer and saw the word “Porsche” on the back. It sure didn’t look like any Porsche I had ever seen.

The street we were on transitioned into a three lane back country road, with two of the lanes going in our direction. I could see the guy eyeballing me in his rear view mirrors and I thought let see what this funny looking Porsche can do. I pulled up next to him at about 25mph looked over and it was on. Now my car runs 11’s at density altitudes of 5,000 ft during the summer. This being a fall day the temps were in the 50’s and the car runs even stronger. Unfortunately the track closes here when the weather gets cold. Most of the time, the Cobra leaves any other car quite easily but after jumping him, I wasn’t seeing his car in my rear view mirrors as fast as I normally do. But then there he was, falling behind to about 3-4 car lengths when I reached about 120 mph and then he gave up.

After returning home I looked up what it could be and found it was a Porsche 959 which apparently had twin-turbos and produced 450 bhp while weighing 3199 lbs. According to http://www.fast-autos.net/porsche/porsche959.html it ran 11.8’s in the ¼ (probably a sea level time) and apparently this car was not even street legal until a few years ago. I understand it was about $247,000 new. Any way, it was fun to lay a kill on a "supercar" with my humble $30,000 Mustang.
:rockon:

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Excellent kill.

Take that race to the twisties and you'll understand the 959s supercar status :)

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
Originally posted by Nuke61
Excellent kill.

Take that race to the twisties and you'll understand the 959s supercar status :)

Yes, after seeing its speed I'm glad it was just a straight line race. From its stance, wide tires, suspension and all wheel drive, I'm sure it would be an awesome rally car.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
All the supercar owners around here are afraid to race. I tried to get a Testerossa to run me the other week and he REFUSED. :bash:

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
I understand wanting to run a supercar, but a stock Testarossa runs mid 13s. Knowing that, if you were in a Testarossa, would you want to get demolished by an American car?

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by Nuke61
I understand wanting to run a supercar, but a stock Testarossa runs mid 13s. Knowing that, if you were in a Testarossa, would you want to get demolished by an American car?

Nope, and this just shows an example that most supercars can't hang with U.S. musclecars. I mean, if you spend 100+k on a car, wouldn't you expect it to run at least mid 11's??? :shrug:

RYU583

HADOOOUKENNN
Established Member
they dont really buy them for balls out speed.....:rollseyes
If I buy an enzo....yeah im goin balls out

but if I had the money....and got a 360....its for all the right reasons. the fine italian design, the amazing sound, amazing handling, fine craftsmanship, the prestige of owning a car few could afford...just everything......plus its faster than almost all STOCK cars on the road......put a lil work into it and then it will be on par with faster cars.....it does all of these things very well.
plus testarossa's are old man......go pick on GT's and stradale versions if you wanna feel big.....
:bored:
damn this got long....all in all I give you props, but I knew your cars fast....but dont go saying they cant "hang" with american muscle......they dont need to....they know damn well they will circle your ass on anything but a dragstrip....and even then they wont lose ALL that bad to a modified beast......and meanwhile they are still bone stock:coolman:

Last edited:

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Well - at any rate, many decade-old supercars run slower than SVTs. There's quite a horsepower race currently in progress, and I'll venture that most sports cars over $100K these days are pretty darn fast. Examples:

Ford GT (mid-11s)
Ferrari 430 (high 11s?)
Mercedes SL65 (high 11s)
Porsche 996 Turbo S (low 12s)
Lamborghini Murceliago (low 12s)
Viper SRT (high 11s) [the bargain of the group :) ]

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by treynor
Well - at any rate, many decade-old supercars run slower than SVTs. There's quite a horsepower race currently in progress, and I'll venture that most sports cars over $100K these days are pretty darn fast. Examples:

Ford GT (mid-11s)
Ferrari 430 (high 11s?)
Mercedes SL65 (high 11s)
Porsche 996 Turbo S (low 12s)
Lamborghini Murceliago (low 12s)
Viper SRT (high 11s) [the bargain of the group :) ]

Normally I would agree, but remember, back in the day the supercars were really known for speed. Watch Cannonball Run and you'll see what I mean. ;-) The SUPER in the name normally meant FAST. Now a days it means "PRETTY". :nonono:

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
PlatinumCobra, I am a little confused by your statement. I havent heard of a Mustang (road car, not a drag car) that will do 190 mph like a 360, 196 like a 430, 212 like a Ford GT (Top Gears number) or an Enzo. These are all extremely quick cars too, running in the 12 or lower, and will kill a mustang on a road course.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by EvergreenSVT
PlatinumCobra, I am a little confused by your statement. I havent heard of a Mustang (road car, not a drag car) that will do 190 mph like a 360, 196 like a 430, 212 like a Ford GT (Top Gears number) or an Enzo. These are all extremely quick cars too, running in the 12 or lower, and will kill a mustang on a road course.

Most of the ones hitting the "out of bounds" light to light performance are at the extreme high end of the price spectrum and are extremely rare. The lower end of the spectrum, GT, 360, etc., aren't raping Vettes and Cobras any longer on the street. One encounter with a KB Cobra and it's over.

When I think of supercar performance I think of Koenigsegg (mid to lower 9's). I would expect nothing less from any supercar. Mid 10's in the 1/4 should be a minimum.

You're right, road course is completely different. I was merely stating the situation mentioned in this post. :beer:

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
Ah. The way I think of this is not that exotics suck, but street cars are getting better. True though, for $200k you should best a Mustang by a huge margin, not run door to door.

OT, but have you heard about the new M5? 7 gears, 500 HP and a redline at like 8k rpm. That will be a fast sedan.

2000wrx

Established Member
You did NOT race a 959, they were never street legal in the US, one company does do conversions on them, and that one with the conversion upgrade would have left you hard.

You more than likely raced a kitted 911 at best.

Dont kid yourself guys, while a Cobra is a fast car it isn't well rounded. It can't turn, or break anywhere near what "super" cars can.

Heck even the cheaper Subaru's and Mistu's will hurt a Cobra on a roadcourse.

The cobra is very good at one thing, going straight, for a short time. Even on the top end a Cobra will get hunt by Vettes, Supras, and many other Eruo exotics.

After saying all this please know I am getting a Cobra and will just adore it.

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
Originally posted by 2000wrx
You did NOT race a 959, they were never street legal in the US, one company does do conversions on them, and that one with the conversion upgrade would have left you hard.

Maybe you have not seen this:

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=309

"Bruce Canepa’s shop in Santa Cruz, California, is flush with Porsche 959s, either waiting to be modified to meet U.S. and California emissions standards, or waiting for owners to pick up their now-legal cars."

"The 959 goes from a standstill to 60 mph in 3.3 seconds and reaches 100 mph in 11.4 seconds."

My car is over 100 mph in the 8 second range. Based on my 1/4 times when it's hot and at altitude, I think the car is certainly close to 10 second times at lower elevations when the weather is cool which are likely the kind of conditions most cars performance specifications are standardized at. I seriously doubt any "conversion upgrade would have left [me] hard" unless it’s a nine second car.

Anyway, all I know is that it was dressed as a 959, loud like a 959, and ran like I would expect a 959 to run. When something looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, I generally think it's a duck. But who knows, maybe it was something else. I was still tickled because how often does one pull-up to an exotic at low speeds and find themselves with two lanes of open highway in front of them? It's just some great fun and was still a Porsche 959 kill to me.

In the end, these exotics may have all the refinement (lots of) money can buy, but don’t discount $30,000 of America muscle in its jungle!
:bowdown:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member

Dont kid yourself guys, while a Cobra is a fast car it isn't well rounded. It can't turn, or break anywhere near what "super" cars can.

The cobra is very good at one thing, going straight, for a short time. Even on the top end a Cobra will get hunt by Vettes, Supras, and many other Eruo exotics.
2000wrx
New SVT Poster
Vehicle: 2000 Subaru WRX

LOL!! Not another one!! What is with all these ricers in our forums lately? It's like a friggin disease.

And he even quotes all the common ricer myths: "Cobra's are only good at going straight, they can't turn or brake".

Clueless.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member

He's already stated that his car runs 11's so I would have to say that in the 1/4, he's running right next to a lot of "super" cars.

You're right though, mustangs are good for going straight in a short time. Same distance, but shorter times.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member

You know this because you were there and witnessed the race..right?

You are correct. Supercars seem to break a lot more often than muscle cars. It also costs a lot more to fix the exotics when they break too.

It all depends on the driver and the course. But some nice straights on the course and it's bye bye Subaru, besides in the end you have a cheaper Subaru and Mitsu..

Going straight for a short time...what does that mean. We can only drive our cars for a few minutes at a time? A Cobra will top out pretty damn high (170+ with a chip). Hell, I've had my car over 180.

So, you don't have a Cobra yet you feel you are able to tell us what our cars can or can't do...well thankyou.

Users who are viewing this thread