Raced a C6 Vette and lost???

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
Well, the time finally came, I've had my 03 Terminator for 2 months now and have yet to engage in any type of race, today on my way home from work on a nice dual lane highway I see a jet black C6 Vette coming up fast in my rear view, he just cruises on by so I get up next to him to take a look and see what he has, just a regular vette from what I can tell, no Z06 badges nothing but a nice loud exhaust note coming from the rear.

He just looks straight ahead and doesn't acknowledge me at all, so after cruising beside him for a bit I pull ahead and get over in front of him to kinda taunt him a little, we just ride along at 60mph and nothing so I get over in the left lane and then I see him sneaking up beside me, he's just cruising and then all of a sudden with no look, no warning he drops to third and opens that SOB up! and damn does it sound nasty! He got a hell of a jump on me, I pull from 5th to 3rd and get up to his door, I catch 4th and he pulls ahead ever so slightly by about a car. Then he slams the brakes on and turns off to head back the other way, when I go by I hear the lope of a rather nasty cam!

I really didn't think he would get me being that it wasn't a z06 but he suprised me! My car only has a upper pulley and catback, with a canned pulley tune of unknown origin so I'm sure I'm leaving some ponies on the table. I have no idea what was done to his car other than the cam and exhaust which I heard clearly.

Anyway, thanks for reading, hoping to get this thing up around 475-480rwhp and go after a few of these vettes around here... :beer:

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
nice death.

a cammed ls3 is no joke....

my bolt on C6Z got beat by a cammed LS3.
[ame="http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319555"]Complete Street News - Cams, Installs, and MORE - LS1GTO.com Forums[/ame] <- see his sig
my buddies 08 vette LS3 with a 6 speed. he made 501rwhp with kooks long tubes, my factory factback, airaid intake and tune.

it was a very very close race until about 165mph. then he pulled about 1/2 a car and we shut down around 175. but He still has yet to beat my track time stock lol

Last edited:

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Stock they are around 375-385ish Cam and exhaust I would say at least 430 and that is a low estimate. but they are lighter and have better aerodynamics than you do.

Last edited:

F8l Vnm

Established Member
There are already many heads and cam LS3's making well over 500 rwhp (big cam). I have even seen a few around 550 rwhp ..

mrlrd1

Established Member
Maybe an LS2? An LS3 with a decent cam and full exhaust would be 5-6 cars out on a upper only Cobra. Cam and exhaust LS2s are usually around 430-440, while the LS3s are a good 40HP stronger.

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
How do you tell if it was an LS2 or LS3 car? I'm not very vette "literate" I know I've always loved fords but since the C5 debut I've been drooling over them and then when they finally got rid of the pop up headlights I was hooked!

HoustonSVT

Army Strong
Established Member
my bolt on C6Z got beat by a cammed LS3.
Complete Street News - Cams, Installs, and MORE - LS1GTO.com Forums <- see his sig
my buddies 08 vette LS3 with a 6 speed. he made 501rwhp with kooks long tubes, my factory factback, airaid intake and tune.

it was a very very close race until about 165mph. then he pulled about 1/2 a car and we shut down around 175. but He still has yet to beat my track time stock lol

Are you saying his LS3 made 501 with just long tubes, Z06 catback, airaid and tune? Z06s are 495/510 with the "best" parts as far as bolt-ons go. So I have a hard time believing his LS3 did it with no cam. Clarification please?

Edit: Just took a look at his sig, and those numbers are with a cam. With makes sense.

Here is his sig:

2008 Corvette M6
11.71 @ 119.94 mph - Showroom Stock
11.143 @ 129.27 mph - Headers, Exhaust, Tune, DRs, Cam and Intake - COME ON TENS!

501 rwhp / 455 rwtq

Last edited:

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
How do you tell if it was an LS2 or LS3 car? I'm not very vette "literate" I know I've always loved fords but since the C5 debut I've been drooling over them and then when they finally got rid of the pop up headlights I was hooked!

If its Jet stream blue or cyber gray, its an LS3. The LS3 came out in 2008 and those colors came out in 08/09 respectively.

If its a standard color (red, white, black yellow silver) you will have to look at the wheels to tell the difference. LS3 vettes have split spoke wheels. But its hard to tell if they are rolling.

Easiest way is to ask.

BTW youre gonna need more than 480whp to beat a cammed C6.

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
Yea I did some research last night and didn't realize the C6 vettes were making that much power! Damn impressive for a pushrod motor. I'll definitely need to pack a little more next time I decide to take one on!

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
Are you saying his LS3 made 501 with just long tubes, Z06 catback, airaid and tune? Z06s are 495/510 with the "best" parts as far as bolt-ons go. So I have a hard time believing his LS3 did it with no cam. Clarification please?

Edit: Just took a look at his sig, and those numbers are with a cam. With makes sense.

Here is his sig:

2008 Corvette M6
11.71 @ 119.94 mph - Showroom Stock
11.143 @ 129.27 mph - Headers, Exhaust, Tune, DRs, Cam and Intake - COME ON TENS!

501 rwhp / 455 rwtq

lol sorry I didnt put cam because I thought that was kinda like DUHHHHH :beer:

MidNiteBowTie

Established Member
Hey there :beer: I started looking into forums last night regarding info on Cobras and came across your post here. Really good looking car you have and ran good.
I dropped into 3rd and held it there for a couple seconds and rolled into it. I really didn't give you a heads up as I had the truck in front of me to get around also it was the first opening we had. Figured if you had the mods you would run me down.
Not the best time or place to go all out…rail road, bridge and the store on the right with people coming and going. I wasn’t blowing you off…just scanning for LEO’s at that time of day. Anyway, I grabbed the first cross over since we blew past my road and felt you would have room to slow once I put the brakes on. If you had to get on them hard I apologize.
The car is a 08 M6 Z51 and built by ECS (East Coast Supercharging) retaining the stock heads and rotating assembly. It’s a cam and full bolt-on LS3 with 1 7/8”AR (American Racing) header system dumping into the stock NPP’s, ECS NA Custom Cam Package, SC-1 Vararam snake charmer ram air kit, FAST 102 intake, MGW Shifter, Elite Engineering Tunnel plate & oil catch can and tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. The stock clutch, tranny and rear are still holding up for now LOL.
I really wouldn’t call it a race since I got a jump on you. If you would like and it would be fun to get out the cars for the hell of it we could run from a dig and roll…just give me a shout.
A hello to the forum since scanning over threads seems to show this is really cool forum with car guys.

Last edited:

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Hey there :beer: I started looking into forums last night regarding info on Cobras and came across your post here. Really good looking car you have and ran good.
I dropped into 3rd and held it there for a couple seconds and rolled into it. I really didn't give you a heads up as I had the truck in front of me to get around also it was the first opening we had. Figured if you had the mods you would run me down.
Not the best time or place to go all out…rail road, bridge and the store on the right with people coming and going. I wasn’t blowing you off…just scanning for LEO’s at that time of day. Anyway, I grabbed the first cross over since we blew past my road and felt you would had room to slow once I put the brakes on. If you had to get on them hard I apologize.
The car is a 08 M6 Z51 and built by ECS (East Coast Supercharging) retaining the stock heads and rotating assembly. It’s a cam and full bolt-on LS3 with 1 7/8”AR (American Racing) header system dumping into the stock NPP’s, ECS NA Custom Cam Package, SC-1 Vararam snake charmer ram air kit, FAST 102 intake, MGW Shifter and tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. The stock clutch, tranny and rear are still holding up for now LOL.
I really wouldn’t call it a race since I got a jump on you. If you would like and it would be fun to get out the cars for the hell of it we could run from a dig and roll…just give me a shout.
A hello to the forum since scanning over threads seems to show this is really cool forum with car guys.

and there you have it!!!!
Glad you joined up. hope you stick around and continue to post here. We always need more vette guys.

pics

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Holy crap! People race and then finde eachother on a huge forum, unbelieveable! Welcome^^^

BTW: we seem to be getting alot of corvette owners on this sight lately. Are they as nice to Ford guys if I jumped on a GM forum? Welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread