Race tune advice

Brickell gt500

Established Member
I have been back and forth on going e85 or maybe get a race tune for special occasions. Seems like a great way to add some big hp without the upfront costs of ethanol.

VP racing has a station not far away they carry: C16,C12,110,C9,MS103, and I heard they have cans of ms109.

I am so confused on the subject. I was told oxygenated fuel can give false stoich readings. The rest are leaded which can damage o2 sensors. I have no cats on the car. Is there a good option with conveiant station?

Anyone weigh in on hp difference of these?

Thanks

13' GT500, OR X, pulley, tb 67, JLT 123

little-dw

Established Member
I too am curious in this. I opted and got the 100 octane race tune from Revan Racing when I did the 13-6 kit & upper pulley. There is nothing available higher than 93 around me. So all I would be able to do is through in some torco and flash the tune. Since it will be 93 octane + torco, will that damage the o2 sensors?

STTOCK

The Man
Established Member
E85 has the octane properties of 105 when tuned for. But requires more fueling. Aka larger injectors + BAP or return style fueling. E85 was a no brainer for me because of the price and ease of getting it compared to race fuels. With 93 you will run out of octane at 18psi.

With E85 the stoich you know with gasoline (14.7:1 or 14.3:1 depending on ethanol content) becomes a little confusing. It's stoich is 9.8:1. Hence the need for more fueling.

I switched between 93 and E85 every few tanks due to the corrosive nature of E85. Have had no problems. 5k+ miles.

Just my .02, hope it helps. Good luck.

STTOCK

The Man
Established Member
I too am curious in this. I opted and got the 100 octane race tune from Revan Racing when I did the 13-6 kit & upper pulley. There is nothing available higher than 93 around me. So all I would be able to do is through in some torco and flash the tune. Since it will be 93 octane + torco, will that damage the o2 sensors?
Contact Van and he will surely deliver you the answer. Good guy.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
If you want to run a balls out race gas tune than go with MS109, that stuff makes big power. But Lund may want you to datalog a little so he knows it safe. You won't notice a huge jump in power going from 93 to 100oct. Stay far away from Leaded fuels unless you don't care about your A/F sensors.

Brickell gt500

Established Member
Thanks for all the input. I found out my tuner carries Gulf Mach 116, which is unleaded and not oxygenated.

What kind of horsepower have people seen with race tunes? I heard 50 hp increase wouldn't be uncommon.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for all the input. I found out my tuner carries Gulf Mach 116, which is unleaded and not oxygenated.

What kind of horsepower have people seen with race tunes? I heard 50 hp increase wouldn't be uncommon.

With 116 Oct your tune will probably set your timing around 22 to 24 degrees, depending if he sees any knock. But I'm sure you're around 15 degrees timing right now so you should have no problem picking up 50+whp.

Van@RevanRacing

You really don't want to blend MS109 with any other fuel because of the oxygenation. The Gulf Mach 116 is an excellent fuel and you can get a good amount of power out of it in addition to adding boost for more more.

Users who are viewing this thread