Race panel & instrument cluster I just made for my Carb'd Cobra!

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
So I just spent a good 5 hours on this damn thing and I am soo happy to finally see it in! Turned out a LOT better than I had originally expected..and even moreso while I was working on it.

This is where I started..my entire dashboard is COMPLETELY gutted..straight to the firewall. Took out all the wiring, air ducts, heater core, etc

5660749598_d63ee45ae7_z.jpg

Just a little sketch of what I was looking for..

No oil pressure?? Slower than a Geo Metro?? 50psi of boost?? and RICH AS FUHH?! ...No Problem!! haha

5660179227_1332df9d5f_z.jpg

Here it is finally cut, mocked up, and bent with all the screw holes drilled..

5660746224_c7f9e7079e_z.jpg

Now finally..the finished product!!

5660743440_0d488d621d_z.jpg

5660745116_412a6664f4_z.jpg

5660175983_d5d87c6abc_z.jpg

If you look..you can see how the top center of the panel looks warped..that is because I cut a hole in the sheet metal there to add in another gauge in the future..so that will be used. However in person you honestly can't even see it at all..it is just how my shitty cell phone lighting makes it show up.

Also, figure I would share this as well...this is how I have my ignition box mounted!

5660756080_8c1db95280_z.jpg

I used this 3D CF vinyl from Carbon Fiber Gear and it looks and works great! The light has the same 3D effect as real CF in person. I picked it up so that I wouldn't have that plain aluminum finish [also since because over time I know it would start to rust/discolor] and to see if I like it...which I do!

Soon I'm going to start making actual genuine CF parts and plan on remaking both of those out of REAL carbon fiber..so I don't want to hear the 'fake CF is gay' crap. My car weighs ~2700lbs wet and I take my weight reduction seriously.

The only thing missing on my switchboard is I am also going to mount my FAST dual wideband setup [as shown in my doodling]. I'm missing my starter switch as well, I lost the push button...so now I'm probably just going to go and buy a momentary toggle switch instead, I've always preferred the looks of those. I'll probably have that done tomorrow as well as having my custom instrument cluster finished up.

5660829918_0813cbfab0_z.jpg

^^^ that gauge isn't mounted and it isn't wrapped in CF yet, just spray painted black with my gauge laying there... and I'll have a few more gauges on there as well, I was just making sure that the brackets I made were working correctly.

I spent HOURS and HOURS..but I am VERY pleased with it [save myself a buttload of money from Florida 5.0], not only does it look great.... but it feels/sounds solid when I flip all the switches, and is damn near perfect on having the right size/shape!

If any of you want to check out my carbureted modular build thread..it is in my signature.

Last edited:

black 10th vert

Established Member
I gotta be the one to say it, but why did you carb your car?

I have to second this - especially when going with a Procharger. Don't get me wrong, I love carbs, and even had a pair of them on my '65 Cobra replica, but these days it is much easier to set up a reliable efi, and easier to tune, especially in a supercharged application.

My94GT

Established Member
looks good man, i plan on following this gauge set up you put together. im in the same boat as you...looking to drop as much weight off my car as i can. i havent taken a weight yet but im sure its sitting close to yours.

19935.slow

Established Member
I have to second this - especially when going with a Procharger. Don't get me wrong, I love carbs, and even had a pair of them on my '65 Cobra replica, but these days it is much easier to set up a reliable efi, and easier to tune, especially in a supercharged application.

I know not everyone can afford good efi, it is def not cheap, but I'm just trying to see the motive here. If thats the case keep up the good work, but EFI > carb all day any day.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Thanks guys! I wish had taken more pictures while I was making it...Sooooo much effort went into that thing...but I'm glad I put in the effort!

As for why I went carbureted..it was for power originally. I was planning to build a NA 600rwhp 5.3 so a carb would have given me a few extra. However I changed my mind and decided to go for 7s in the quarter on a street 4.6. So now with E85 and a blow-through I can run my 11:1 CR and push just shy of 40# with my ProChargerF2 without the extra piping and weight of an intercooler...the blow through will cool air temps down.

However despite that...I just personally want a carb...sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong decade. I'm a kid but I sure do love old school ! Also weight reduction played a role too...I enjoy the challenge as well.

Last edited:

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
Thanks guys! I wish had taken more pictures while I was making it...Sooooo much effort went into that thing...but I'm glad I put in the effort!

As for why I went carbureted..it was for power originally. I was planning to build a NA 600rwhp 5.3 so a carb would have given me a few extra. However I changed my mind and decided to go for 7s in the quarter on a street 4.6. So now with E85 and a blow-through I can run my 11:1 CR and push just shy of 40# with my ProChargerF2 without the extra piping and weight of an intercooler...the blow through will cool air temps down.

However despite that...I just personally want a carb...sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong decade. I'm a kid but I sure do love old school ! Also weight reduction played a role too...I enjoy the challenge as well.

More power to ya man, keep up the good work!

-Eric

19935.slow

Established Member
Just having a car on top of the same version of an efi mani doesn't give more power, so idk what you mean? And an f2 is enough blower to make over 1000 at the tire? That car would need around 1200 at that weight to run 7's. Needs alot more suspension as well.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
you actually weighed your car and it weighed 2700 pounds?

Last time I went on the scales it was in the 2800lbs range...that was with my heavy knockoff saleens, EFI, and even still had power steering/brakes!!

With all the weight I have ripped out since I started my carb swap[AC vents, wiring, computer, radio/cd player, insulation, sound deadening, heater core, drag racing smaller radiator, etc]..that should be enough alone to get it to dip into the 2700..not to mentioned the PS/PB[~30lbs] and putting on slicks/skinnies for track duty [~100lbs]

Just having a car on top of the same version of an efi mani doesn't give more power, so idk what you mean?

Actually it does... fuel atomizes better with the air and will give a couple extra HP...not a 50hp difference or anything...but enough for me to pull the trigger. While I was still wanting to stay NA..every HP and pound of dead weight on the car made a difference.

And an f2 is enough blower to make over 1000 at the tire? That car would need around 1200 at that weight to run 7's. Needs alot more suspension as well.

F2.jpg

....I believe it is enough ;-) all 2700CFM of her!

I'm well aware of exactly what it will take to get the car to dip into the 7s

Came out sick Chris, keep up the good work man :beer:

Wow, that looks awesome!

Thanks guys!! :beer:

This evening I should have my instrument cluster all finished up too!

Last edited:

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
what are you planning on running for a trans??

It will be an auto of some sort..I'm between a C4, TH400, or an AOD...I'll just wait and see how everything else turns out before I make my final decision. It will be a reverse manual valve body w/ trans brake..that is for sure though.

Good work man. Can't wait for it to be all done.

Thanks man! You'll be sure to see me roaming around somewhere in Orlando once I get back into town.

Users who are viewing this thread